Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/01/2008 2:08pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Mike Tomacelli BJJ - Costa Mesa, CA

What sets Mike apart from other instructors I've trained under is his extreme attention to detail, his focus on tough conditioning (many BJJ schools jump right into technique), his method of teaching 6-7 chains from a base technique (as opposed to the standard 2-3), his easy to understand method of instructing, and his approachable, friendly demeanor.

I've come across far too many cold, unapproachable BJJ instructors who seem to radiate attitude. Not Mike. He fosters a relaxed (but structured) environment within his class.

Finally, the cost is simply unbeatable for what you get. In Orange County, twice a week training will cost at least $130 a month. Mike charges $99 a month for unlimited training...and he teaches 6 days a week. Once a month we train at Joe Moreira's school for a change of venue and rolling partners.

Rating Explanations:
    Aliveness: It's a BJJ school. We train hard like most credible BJJ schools.

Equipment: There are a fair amount of mats, but the only other equipment we typically use are jump ropes for warm ups. This is fairly standard for BJJ schools, in my experience.

Gym Size: The training area is comparable to other BJJ places, but is still fairly small.

Instructor/Student Ratio: Recently, all the higher level belts have been lazy, so Mike primarily teaches everyone. The class size is still small, though, ranging between 4 and 10 students at once. As such, the class never gets out of control with only one instructor.

Atmosphere/Attitude: Great atmosphere. Everyone is very friendly, attitudes are not accepted, and the environment is very positive.

Grappling Instruction: The instruction is top notch. Many BJJ schools operate under the "Learn By Experience" method, where new students are expected to get brutalized until they learn. Because of the lack of attitude here, less experienced students are shown the ropes and spared the aforementioned brutalization. Also, Mike is a direct student of Joe Moereira (7th degree BJJ black belt), so we also have instant access to the highest ranking BJJ black belt I've ever met. Still, I consider Mike to be a better instructor than several black belts I've trained under.
    Attached Images    
    Last edited by SuperGuido; 5/19/2008 2:43pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/28/2008 4:42pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

mike tomacelli

my husband is one of mike tomacelli's best friends. he's a purple belt in bjj under joe moreira, and used to train with him at aaron blake's (in maine). small world, huh?
    -jen velado

Posted On:
    4/28/2008 4:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How about that!

Mike frequently talks about Maine.

Posted On:
    5/18/2008 6:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I changed the Aliveness rating per Golden Jonus' guide.

The school does not currently have an MMA program, though that may change in the near future.

When it does, I'll adjust the Aliveness again.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/18/2008 8:18pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't take this the wrong way but a 10 for grappling? Having access to a a 7th degree BJJ blackbelt does not constitute a 10 in grappling. I have direct access to world champion grapplers that doesn't make my gym a 10 in grappling if that helps.

Posted On:
    5/19/2008 2:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm...point taken.

I have the most experienced grappling teacher in all of Orange County...but that doesn't necessarily mean it should be a 10.

So...if 10 means I'm getting taught by the mutant offspring of Kimura, Helio Gracie, and the Great Gama, would a 9 be more appropriate for a 30+ year, 7th degree BJJ BB with a professional fight record who directly oversees the most technical and talented grappling instructor I've trained under?

I suppose GJ should put out a guide to each of the sections, as he did with "Aliveness".

Posted On:
    5/19/2008 2:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    the most technical and talented grappling instructor I've trained under
    Of course, I haven't trained under you yet, so...

[/Omega Ass Kissing]

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/19/2008 3:02pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A 10 would be where you have a few ADCC participants or NAGA champions training there and a deep training pool of talent. Also could mean he's trained several of those athletes. 9 is still really good in my book.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2008 2:18pm

Style: Mostly Striking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I recently started taking lessons here thanks to some communication with members from Bullshido. Great School with friendly instructors and students. Everyone is willing to help teach eachother which is an important part of any training. I'd rate the instructor/student ratio a little higher, more like a 7 out of 10. I'm taking the no-gi classes though, so they may not be as crowded.