Page 2 of 2 First 12

Style
    Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dan was teaching something that resembled kick boxing. Basically a large class with groups of people taking turns with training mitts as Dan barked orders. Now I boxed for 4 years and still hit the heavy bag and not a single person in the class looked like they knew what the **** they were doing, and Dan didn't seem to be giving too much personal attention to anyone. So when his class was finished I went upstairs to watch the ground training and Dan had nothing to do with it and it looked like a poor excuse for a BJJ class. I decided it wasn't worth the money or the effort it takes to drive in LA traffic to go there. But like I said, that was just what I experienced on my single visit to sit in and watch the show.

Style
    JKD/Kali/Thai Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You probably saw a beginner’s class; it all depends on the class and who's in it. A lot of stuff is going on at Inosanto's school might not be what you want if you want pure BJJ or kickboxing. I will say that I'm biased since I'm an Inosanto Instructor and go out that way twice a year from Buffalo NY

Tom Mac

Style
    IRT/FMA/BJJ/BUDO TAIJUTSU
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is Dan working out with John Machado.

You make your decision regarding where he is with his grappling skills.

YouTube - DAN INOSANTO training BRAZILIAN JIU JITSU with JOHN MACHADO

Personally I think he needs to keep training. However that goes for all of us.

Style
    Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Considering that he's 72, I think he did fine. Hopefully all of us will be as fit and vital as he is when we're in our 70s, FFS.

Style
    IRT/FMA/BJJ/BUDO TAIJUTSU
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pittfrog
    Considering that he's 72, I think he did fine. Hopefully all of us will be as fit and vital as he is when we're in our 70s, FFS.
    Absolutely he did fine and he is 72 so that is great as well! However, each person has to look at the person that will be teaching them and make a choice. That is what the video is there for. So that people can make a more educated choice.

Style
    Integrated Fighting Arts
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The top Boxing Coaches might not look that good if they're mixing it either, but that's not what they do. So trying to assess someone's ability to teach on what they look like, and what they can do themselves, is rather missing the point methinks!

Style
    Muay Thai/Wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to train there, for years.

Dan Inosanto is a great guy and a dedicated martial artist.

That being said I would look at other places. You tend to get a little bit of everything there but if you really want to focus on an art I'd find a place that really does just that. Yes the Inosanto Academy has different cirriculums outside of Jun Fan but they do not produce competitors and you will get better training from places that tend to be competiton focused even if you don't compete yourself.

Wild Card is in Hollywood if you want to box. There's 10th Planet in Burbank if you want BJJ and MMA. Not to mention there are plenty of good solid BJJ places all over the city. There's an awesome Judo dojo in down town LA that charges something like $5 a class for walk ins. Several good MMA camps in the area... etc, etc.

Again I am not bashing Inosanto, you really couldn't meet a nicer and more dedicated guy, but I think you will find better, more focused training elsewhere.

Style
    JKD, BJJ, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A lot of really exceptional martial artists (like the original dog brothers) came out of the Inosanto Academy, and Dan Inosanto has spent a lot of time becoming supremely proficient in many different martial arts. As far as the quality of the instruction is concerned, I can't really tell you anything except that Mr. Inosanto probably does not teach most of the classes himself. My instructor came out of the academy originally though, and he's great, so take what you will from that. You'll want to make sure that you check out the classes with lots of high-contact sparring; not all of the classes have that. Nobody you train with is going to mutilate you though, because that's stupid.

Dan Inosanto is a Machado black belt; last time I checked, that's considered to be a good thing on this website.

Page 2 of 2 First 12