Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    2/01/2008 2:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    You base this on Lesnar's one mma fight where he took down a judo olympian, passed guard and pounded out a victory?
    A judo Olympian at 95kg who's 4-6 in MMA including getting triangled by Semmy Schilt...

I think the =/= was meant to mean that Sak worked a lot of shoot-style matches with realistic technique whereas Lesnar was jumping off the turn-buckle and engaging in exchanges of telegraphed bitch-slaps...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/01/2008 2:15pm

Style: systema/RMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hope Mir doesn't get hurt. It looks to me like he is still quite affected by his crash. Brock, on the other hand is in great shape and will be looking to make a statement.

Recipe for a disaster.

don't underestimated the collegiate national championship and the athleticism of pro-wrestling. Brock is a world class athlete like Hughes and St. Pierre; just bigger and badder. I see Brock becoming the next great heavyweight champion.

Posted On:
    2/01/2008 2:33pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EricH
    don't underestimated the collegiate national championship and the athleticism of pro-wrestling. Brock is a world class athlete like Hughes and St. Pierre; just bigger and badder. I see Brock becoming the next great heavyweight champion.
    Super lol at the athleticism of pro wrestling, packing that much roid muscle is a recipe to gas in about 45 seconds at the pace of an actual fight.

Kevin Jackson was -actually- a world class wrestler, unlike Brock who's never competed internationally, and Frank Shamrock took his arm in 16 seconds.

I'm flabbergasted at the level of nut hugging the advertising for this fight has managed to generate without the slightest indication that he's any better at MMA than he was at American football. Until I see something to indicate otherwise this fight is a 1-0 nobody against a former heavyweight champ.

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    2/01/2008 3:06pm

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn
    Until I see something to indicate otherwise this fight is a 1-0 nobody against a former heavyweight champ.
    Funnily enough, that's exactly what Pe De Pano/Mir was.
    Undisputed KING OF ASSHOLES.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/01/2008 3:14pm

Style: Wrestling, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrblackmagic
    Sakuraba's puresu =/= to Lesner's Pro-wrestling. You can see that in Saku's matches.
    I'm just saying that Saku was an accomplished amateur wrestler, who got into pro-wrestling after college and then did very well in MMA. I can't compare Saku's MMA matches to Lesnar's because I've never seen Brock fight.

Quote Originally Posted by hpr
    This would have been a valid comment over 10 years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by selfcritical
    Last I checked, only two and half UFC titles are held by BJJ black belts, and of those, one is primarily known for his striking.

Wrestlers currently dominate MMA, not BJJ'rs
    Fair enough, but that's really my point. Despite all that, Mir still says stuff like: "Jujitsu, once we hit our backs, is what's the ultimate."

Posted On:
    2/01/2008 4:00pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fatherdog
    Funnily enough, that's exactly what Pe De Pano/Mir was.
    Mundials and ADCC winner != guy whose most recent championship was in appealing to the repressed homosexuality of America's flyover country...

More to the point Pe De Pano is better than Mir at his strongest point, BJJ. Lesnar is not.
    Fair enough, but that's really my point. Despite all that, Mir still says stuff like: "Jujitsu, once we hit our backs, is what's the ultimate."
    Umm.. isn't that true? Who's better off their back than BJJ fighters?
    Last edited by PointyShinyBurn; 2/01/2008 4:02pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/01/2008 4:08pm

Style: BJJ, JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its kind of stupid to compare wrestling an jiu jitsu because all the jiu jitsu guys wrestle and all the wrestling guys know good and well what an arm bar is.

However I think if the Ref gets distracted, by Brock Lesnars ring valet, then maybe he can sneak in a steel chair and smash it over his opponents head and throw it out of the octagon before the Ref turns around.

Idiocy aside, I think its either going to be Brock Lesnar is way to big of a freak for this guy and pounds the bejesus out of him. Or the former ufc champ is just going to make brock look like a complete asshole. I think it'd going to be lop sided either way.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    2/01/2008 4:31pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Super lol at the athleticism of pro wrestling, packing that much roid muscle is a recipe to gas in about 45 seconds at the pace of an actual fight.
    Lesnar was, at one point, a top level wrestler. That necessitates a high level of athleticism. Given that he's training with a decent camp and seem serious about mma (based on interviews where he's not in persona), that athleticism is going to be a problem for Mir who is trying to run a full-sized pickup off of a lawn mower's gas tank.

I'm flabbergasted at the level of nut hugging the advertising for this fight has managed to generate without the slightest indication that he's any better at MMA than he was at American football. Until I see something to indicate otherwise this fight is a 1-0 nobody against a former heavyweight champ.
    How about because his collegiate wrestling experience is more transferrable to mma than it was to football? How about because Mir has throughout his career not trained like an elite athlete, which is something that Lesnar does know how to do? How about because Mir's strengths lay in an area he lacks the skills to take the fight to?

By the way, I'd much rather see Mir win. I don't consider it anywhere near a lock though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/01/2008 4:41pm

Style: GJJ beginner

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What camp is Lesnar training at?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/01/2008 4:49pm

Style: BJJ (noob)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Previously MFS, some time with Royce Gracie and now Greg Nelson.
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 ... LastLast