Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/31/2008 7:53pm

Style: BJJ(blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt W.
    Um, did you see his weigh in pic? He looks like the old Mir again. Pretty close anyway.

http://www.frankmir.com/files/images/frank003.jpg

I'm really rooting for Mir. He was an exciting fighter when he won the title. I think a return of "the old Mir" would do a lot for the HW div. My fear is that, despite getting back in shape, that he will never be the same again.

Damn...Mr looked fit in that picture. So there's my problem...I like Mir, because he's a big and agile jiu jitsu guy who can jumpstart a weight division that needs a open heart surgery! On the other hand we have a guy who's only fault was trying to make a buck to pay all of his HGH bills! A guy who looks like Bane and who could also jumpstart a weight division on the rocks! I'm happy either way...and **** the WWE "hardcore fans" who are gonna shoot fireworks over this! I don't care about them either way!

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    1/31/2008 8:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Omega is going to Rock Out with his Brock Out, IMO.

Posted On:
    1/31/2008 9:39pm

Style: Much striking, SAMBO, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracky McSlugHoot
    Omega is going to Rock Out with his Brock Out, IMO.
    This coming from Omega's Bitch :icon_evil

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/31/2008 10:01pm

Style: Wrestling, Judo, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Judobum
    The only parellel is an experienced MMA fighter vs. a rookie with a celebrated wrestling background.
    this is the what i was shooting for. a proven fighter with knowledge to how the game works versus a rookie with very little fight experience (unless you count pro wrestling, hehehehehe)

In the Ibraham/Fujita match as well Ibraham was pushing the pace and doing fine until Fujita caught him square and KO'd him. Wasn't an impressive performance but he didn't look "completely outclassed" at all until the KO punch... which happens to even experienced fighters.
    i dont think Ibraham knew much stand up and it sure looked that way with the punches he was throwing. maybe outclassed was too strong a word but i can see the same coming in the up coming fight with Mir defending a bunch of wild punches in the beginning before settling in to his gameplan. Again we really dont know much about Lesnar's striking abilities. all that is certain is that Brock can perform above average takedowns.

Unless you're suggesting the Mir is going to KO Brock standing this isn't a good comparison. The style match up is different. Mir is unlikely to put Brock out of his element because that's not his style. He'll lay back and look for subs more than likely. He has almost no chance of controlling Lesnar from the top since that's not his game and Lesnar has a huge strength advantage. He'll likely try to push Lesnar and make him gas, then catch him in a sub in the latter part of the match when he's tired and won't be able to power out of it. The key to Mir's victory is avoiding being pounded into a bloody pulp before then.
    It could quite possibly happen that Mir KO's Lesnar. again it depends on how Lesnar is with his stand up but i dont think we'll have a chance to see it because i think his strategy would be to take Mir down ASAP and start on the ground and pound. who knows really but all these questions make for an intriguing match up.

Posted On:
    1/31/2008 11:54pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bornsceptic
    I'm genuinely curious as to why people think he's going to KO him. He's never KO'd anyone, ever. I'm not saying he won't but as far as I know there is no evidence of him having a stand up game and the last I heard (about a year ago), his training partners were tossing him around with ease on the ground. If that's still the case then owning the takedowns is just going to mean he can choose whether he loses standing or on the ground.

Frank Trigg once commented that most high-level wrestlers he'd seen have a big problem turning their hips into strikes, which is what he thought most people from a primarily wrestling background have a hard time getting standing knockouts.

Posted On:
    1/31/2008 11:55pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrblackmagic
    It's the Bob Sapp-effect. Well, more of the Bill Duff effect. It's a lot of guy throwing around a lot of weight.

Edit. BTW.
    Imagine anybody trying to armbar Lesner. The only way I see Mir Subbing Brock is if he gases.

Mir's hips> anyone's bicep.

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    2/01/2008 12:45am

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Um, did you see his weigh in pic? He looks like the old Mir again. Pretty close anyway.

It's pretty impressive for you to have gotten his weigh in pic, since the weigh ins don't happen for another 18 hours.
    Undisputed KING OF ASSHOLES.

Crappler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    2/01/2008 12:53am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everyone keeps talking about what a physical monster Lesnar might be, but ****, Mir isn't exactly a nacy boy. Wikipedia (and you know wikipedia would NEVER lie) puts Lesnar's weight at 265, and Mir's at 255. 10 pounds ain't **** in a HW fight like this.

Knock-off Cthulhu

Posted On:
    2/01/2008 2:06am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I'm really rooting for Mir. He was an exciting fighter when he won the title. I think a return of "the old Mir" would do a lot for the HW div. My fear is that, despite getting back in shape, that he will never be the same again.
    That pic was submitted 04/01/2008, so I doubt it's the picture from the future weigh-ins. But if he's got his **** together like that then it's very promising. Means he's been spending more time at the gym :). He's had to deal with the short end of the stick for too long now, hopefully this is where he finally turns it around for good.

I'm not sure he has even peaked yet. Dude is still young and if he's into training I'm sure he can still improve by leaps and bounds from the Mir of olden days. This is actually a good matchup for him if he cares about the whole MMA vs. Pro Wrestling debacable. Gets him fired up real good for the first time in years.

Here's to optimism :drunken_s
    Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/01/2008 2:43am

Style: BJJ / freestyle wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU2dW9TuXQ8

i originally wanted Mir to outclass Brock because of a little spite towards his pro-wrestling background, but it was all in good spirit. after watching that vid though, that last bit in particular, i'd like for Mir to break one of Lesnar's arms or to put him to sleep and make him **** his pants for talking smack. i mean, i know it's all press, but Mir is a former champion, and he is talking about the fight, comparing Lesnar to previous opponents, and stating what he thinks are his advantages. Lesnar then talks about how he's gonna slam him and bash his head in.

i hope Mir gives him a hell of a punch that rocks him to a near KO, armbars him, breaking his arm, but Brock didn't get time to tap and gets "saved" by the bell, opting to come out for round 2 (a la Kit Cope vs. Kenny Florian). then in round 2, he gets rocked again and put to sleep with a SLEEPER HOLD (yeah, bitch), to end up with him getting fined because he also happened to have roids in his system. that would own.

edit: welp... i guess they both talk ****

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i7un6vbqg4

still, i like Mir better. and surprisingly, Sylvia also comes off as quite civil in that clip
    Last edited by ronaldk; 2/01/2008 3:01am at .
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234 567814 ... LastLast