My pleasure.

Posted On:
    1/31/2008 4:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: yang taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bornsceptic
    I'm genuinely curious as to why people think he's going to KO him. He's never KO'd anyone, ever. I'm not saying he won't but as far as I know there is no evidence of him having a stand up game and the last I heard (about a year ago), his training partners were tossing him around with ease on the ground. If that's still the case then owning the takedowns is just going to mean he can choose whether he loses standing or on the ground.
    It's the Bob Sapp-effect. Well, more of the Bill Duff effect. It's a lot of guy throwing around a lot of weight.

Edit. BTW.
    Imagine anybody trying to armbar Lesner. The only way I see Mir Subbing Brock is if he gases.
    Last edited by mrblackmagic; 1/31/2008 4:11pm at .
    Sumus extra manum tuam.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/31/2008 4:46pm

Style: Wrestling, Judo, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bornsceptic
    I'm genuinely curious as to why people think he's going to KO him. He's never KO'd anyone, ever. I'm not saying he won't but as far as I know there is no evidence of him having a stand up game and the last I heard (about a year ago), his training partners were tossing him around with ease on the ground. If that's still the case then owning the takedowns is just going to mean he can choose whether he loses standing or on the ground.
    think about it. you have an unproven fighter in brock that has an opportunity to solidify himself by beating a former champ, albiet passed his prime. he might come out guns a blazin' and with his roid assisted power he could possibly make the early KO. Mir is definelty going to have to get brock onto the ground and hope that he hasnt learned diddly about the ground game.

Mir on the other hand has a chance to prove that he can take on freaks of nature and get his name back on the top of the list with a win.

it's going to be a very interesting fight just to see who wants it more.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/31/2008 5:06pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My worry with Mir is whether he has finally recovered from his accident. His last gassing outs got to have been due to that. I mean, he didn't broke his pinkie.

Lesnar is one of those uber-athletes, he's the real deal in wrestling. He's an athlete, even if he's been roided and is completely one dimensional (that last part yet remains to be seen.)

The thing I hate about him winning is that WWE dweebs will feel vindicated. If Lesnar wins by sheer man-stodon strenght, good for him. If Lesnar wins by actual skills, more props to him.

But in either case, the average WWE/Spike fucktard will think wrestling >>> MMA completely oblivious to the fact that Lesnar is the one-of-a-kind type of uber man-stodon that can make that **** happen.

The universe will fucking collapse in a fucking singularity with the fucking starts, planets and **** screaming "****, ****, fewwwwuuuuuk!!!" with their fucking last, dying fucking breath.

If Lesnar wins, I hope it's after surviving a brutal fight that leaves him uglier than he is.

As for Mir, I want him to win. Poor dude received the short end of the stick from life in the last couple of years. I would hate to see him dissapear in the void of chumphood.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Knock-off Cthulhu

Posted On:
    1/31/2008 5:20pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hope that Mir knows about the possible effect (as pointed out by TEM and others) for MMA in general this match might have. That in itself should provide motivation for training. And if he hasn't the insight hopefully his coaches and teammates have and push him a bit harder.

To me the last match he had showed a glimpse of the Mir who won the HW belt. He's still too overweight and needs a fuckload of work on cardio, but the attitude and aggressiveness was finally starting to show again. Like he said on Rogan interview he shouldn't have been fighting the previous matches at all and just concentrate on healing and training.

I remain an optimist. I really liked the pre-accident Frank Mir. He was fast, sharp and amazingly agile for a big guy.
    Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.

Boneheaded Optimist

Posted On:
    1/31/2008 5:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Wado Kai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe that the longer the fight goes, the better it will be for Mir. Lesnar has a real chance to take him down and GnP. The guy HAS takedown skills. His best shot will probably be his first shot. However, if Mir can stay away from/stuff the takedown, then Lesnar will eventually give up the submission, if only from lack of experience.

I'm rooting for Mir, only so I don't have to see the penis tattoo anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    i was once told that "do" means wrecking people's **** for your own philosophical betterment.

Quote Originally Posted by melvin_peebles
    I could be mistaking dumbness for delusion. I'll have to go dig out my DSM IV. It's great to have stumbled upon this site. The rich fauna and flora of mental dysfunction that exists in the martial arts is amazing. It's like the Galapagos.

Posted On:
    1/31/2008 5:37pm

Style: JJ of the B variety

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, so a few booger eating wrestling marks may think choreographed wrestling owns mma. That's no reason to hate on Brock. Everyone knows that **** is fake. Is anyone even really that much of a mark these days?

The penis tattoo, on the other hand, is a completely valid reason to hate on him.

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    1/31/2008 5:47pm

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    More wrestling fans watching MMA means more money coming in which means better paid fighters which means better shows. Nothing more or less than that.
    Undisputed KING OF ASSHOLES.

BJJ Suckee

Posted On:
    1/31/2008 5:57pm

Style: Relson GJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, it seemed like Brock hated professional wrestling.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/31/2008 5:58pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fearless Ukemi

The penis tattoo, on the other hand, is a completely valid reason to hate on him.
    Huh? Where do you get your info? He has a penis tat? Damn. He better lose.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/31/2008 6:06pm

Style: Wrestling, Judo, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Feryk
    I believe that the longer the fight goes, the better it will be for Mir. Lesnar has a real chance to take him down and GnP. The guy HAS takedown skills. His best shot will probably be his first shot. However, if Mir can stay away from/stuff the takedown, then Lesnar will eventually give up the submission, if only from lack of experience.

I'm rooting for Mir, only so I don't have to see the penis tattoo anymore.
    this is exactly what i'm talking about. Mir has a great chance if he can get pass the initial barrage of HGH enhanced flurries. Although i have seen Lesnar wrestle quite a few times and this man is a beast when it comes to taking down an opponent. The longer it goes, the more the advantage goes to Mir assuming he is in better shape than his previous outings.

as for the WWE/Pro wrestling marks, honestly the whole industry is going to be shaken up if Brock wins and i can almost guarantee you that pro wrestling in general will lose a large amount of fans. **** they have een losing fans since the MMA boon started. It's sort of like boxing at the moment, only the most hardcore fans are the ones truly loyal enough to stick around to the bitter end and there isnt many of those left. believe me, i have a bit of insight on the pro wrestling market.
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast