Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Boneheaded Optimist

Posted On:
    2/04/2008 4:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Wado Kai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I actually gained respect for Lesnar after watching that. He pretty much controlled the pace of the fight, and he DID rock Mir at least once. You could see he knew what Mir was up to when Mir went for the leg, so at least he recognizes the sub when it's being put in, but he was too late to stop it.

Good for Mir, and Lesnar definitely has a future in the sport, if he's willing to start at the bottom.

FWIW, $250K for a 'co-main event' is peanuts. Zuffa makes enough from the PPV to be paying these guys each twice that plus a bonus.
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    i was once told that "do" means wrecking people's **** for your own philosophical betterment.

Quote Originally Posted by melvin_peebles
    I could be mistaking dumbness for delusion. I'll have to go dig out my DSM IV. It's great to have stumbled upon this site. The rich fauna and flora of mental dysfunction that exists in the martial arts is amazing. It's like the Galapagos.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    2/04/2008 5:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Upa
    I've been on both sides of that sort of weight disparity and well recognize reality. Mir, however, is not on the wrong side of such a disparity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Me, Quoted in Your Post
    I wasn't implying that Lesnar's strong enough to be immune to Mir's armbars, in fact, I was hinting at the opposite.
    ?????????????????????

Keeping you safe from Mongolians

Posted On:
    2/04/2008 5:29pm

Style: Sanda/Taijiquan *Hiatus*

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega's Bitch
    ?????????????????????
    He was probably refering to the pick em up and slam 'em comment. Dumbass.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/04/2008 5:31pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgar42Ox
    Brock is just a big goober who got caught in a hail mary leg lock by Mir.
    1) I don't think Brock is a big goober. Getting submitted by someone with years more experience submission fighting than you does not an idiot make. He had a godo game plan, he executed well, and got beat by a much more experienced opponent.

2) Arguably, every single successful submission against a better athelete is a hail mary lock / choke / hook / submission. This does not mean the loser is stupid, or that the victor was just lucky. Mir's "hail mary' wasthe result of years of training to do exactly that.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    2/04/2008 6:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He was probably refering to the pick em up and slam 'em comment. Dumbass.
    Thank you, worthless noob, for agreeing with me, for you see, that comment in no way applied to Mir, which I made perfectly clear in my posts. Kill yourself.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/05/2008 9:17am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: ?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    heheyournameisomegasbitch

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    2/05/2008 10:54am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega's Bitch
    ?????????????????????
    Your post was convenient to quote, I was more responding to earlier stupidity of how being big makes you invincible to armbars.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/05/2008 2:25pm

Style: BJJ, JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhemsley
    1) I don't think Brock is a big goober. Getting submitted by someone with years more experience submission fighting than you does not an idiot make. He had a godo game plan, he executed well, and got beat by a much more experienced opponent.

2) Arguably, every single successful submission against a better athelete is a hail mary lock / choke / hook / submission. This does not mean the loser is stupid, or that the victor was just lucky. Mir's "hail mary' wasthe result of years of training to do exactly that.

I was calling him a goober because he was handing Mir arms and legs with seeming disregard for being submitted by someone as skilled as Mir, and paid the price. And its a hail mary leg lock because Mir was getting his ass handed to him and it was his only offensive move he had the whole fight. You can see Mir holding onto that leg for dear life hoping THE NEXT BIG THING didnt stand up again. Victory is mine...BLFC- 1 You - 0, jk

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/05/2008 3:36pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was calling him a goober because he was handing Mir arms and legs with seeming disregard for being submitted by someone as skilled as Mir, and paid the price. And its a hail mary leg lock because Mir was getting his ass handed to him and it was his only offensive move he had the whole fight. . . .
    Fair enough on the goober thing. Although I'm not sure what he could have done to not hold his arms and legs other than turning it into a boxing match - which would not have been a bad idea, and Mir mentioned he thought that was what Brock would do.

As far as the hail mary - if you make one offensive move the entire fight, and it wins it for you 1:30 in, it really doesn't equate to a hail mary, which is a last ditch effort with a low probability play.

A kneebar against a bigger opponent with a good top game that doesn't have much experience against submissions isn't a low probability play. Its a damn good idea, and something he was looking for before he ever stepped into the cage. It wasn't even a move of desperation. Mir was certainly roughed up and rattle, and in danger. But he never was grasping at straws or fighting desperate. He was losing the fight badly, but that isn't the same thing as being desperate. He played his game the entire time, never got outside himself, endure the significant punishment Brock was dishing out, looked for a knee bar as soon as he saw Brock defending the armbar, and got it.

. . . You can see Mir holding onto that leg for dear life hoping THE NEXT BIG THING didnt stand up again . . . .
    Sure Mir was holding onto the leg for dear life. However, when executing a knee bar (or an armbar) against any opponent, the entire point is to not let go. Its not as if had he been fighting a smaller Heavyweight, he would loosen his grip based on the fact they aren't as big as Brock.

Mir's win wasn't luck or fix. And claiming it was doesn't enhance Brock's performance, it cheapens it by suggesting he fought and lost to an inferior opponent who just got lucky. Greatness comes from competing against great opponents - and Brock is clearly willing to do that. His attitude post-fight, also, was commendable. His statement about having to learn to lose before you can learn to win is something every young kid should here.

Victory is mine...BLFC- 1 You - 0, jk
    I take nothing away from Brock. He did a hell of job, executed a very simple, smart plan nearly flawlessly, definitely had Mir in danger, and proved he was worthy of both is pay and getting to fight a former champ as his first fight. Win or lose, he lived up to his hype. From what little there was to see, I think against anyone but Mir, Nog, Couture and Fedor, I'd pick him to win - and Mir is clearly a push. Given a few years to train a lot of BJJ, I'm not sure anyone can compete with him. Good luck with the fan club. Brock is still all that and a bag of chips, and I'd order any card he's on.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    2/05/2008 6:53pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    his only offensive move he had the whole fight.
    Mir kicked him twice and went for an armbar that he very nearly got.
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 51112131415 16 LastLast