Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41011121314 1516 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/04/2008 2:09pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gotta agree with OB on this one....If Mir can't armbar Wes Simms, he ain't getting no steenking armbar on Lesnar. Now, leg locks, on the other hand, are a great way for a less powerful guy to defeat a monster....cue Shamrock/Kimo 1, Sudo/Butterbean, etc. etc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/04/2008 2:15pm

Style: BJJ / freestyle wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega's Bitch
    Basically, if you can curl someone's bodyweight, you're effectively immune to armbars from that person.
    while that makes perfect sense, my n00b grappler mind must question...

doesn't the amount of power (torque?) a person can generate with their hips/legs for the armbar influence how much strength you need to be immune to the technique of said person? like, not the same to curl dead weight as to curl weight that's also applying force against your movement, is it?

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    2/04/2008 2:17pm

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I doubt Zulu is stronger than Lesnar. Sapp probably is, but I doubt he has the anaerobic endurance. Basically, if you can curl someone's bodyweight, you're effectively immune to armbars from that person.
    You're not curling against their bodyweight; you're curling against their hip extension.

So basically if you can one-arm curl more than the person attempting to armbar you can deadlift, then yes, you're effectively immune to armbars from that person.

I can deadlift 355 and I've never even dedicated nearly enough time to weight training as I should have. I'm willing to bet that

A) Frank Mir can deadlift considerably more than I can, and
    B) Lesnar cannot one-arm-curl in the 400 lbs range.
    Undisputed KING OF ASSHOLES.

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    2/04/2008 2:20pm

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Tortelli
    Frank Mir, the man responsible for the most "average looking guy leg locks scary muthafucka"moments in MMA" right behind Ken Shamrock.

You consider Mir and Shamrock "average looking guys"? Average for where, Cimmeria?
    Undisputed KING OF ASSHOLES.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/04/2008 2:22pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well if you compare them to Pat Smith, Tank Abbot, Kimo, Tim Sylvia and Brock Lesnar...then yeah, they're average.
    Last edited by Vince Tortelli; 2/04/2008 2:24pm at .

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    2/04/2008 2:23pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fatherdog
    You're not curling against their bodyweight; you're curling against their hip extension.

So basically if you can one-arm curl more than the person attempting to armbar you can deadlift, then yes, you're effectively immune to armbars from that person.

I can deadlift 355 and I've never even dedicated nearly enough time to weight training as I should have. I'm willing to bet that

A) Frank Mir can deadlift considerably more than I can, and
    B) Lesnar cannot one-arm-curl in the 400 lbs range.

Great, now tank abbot is going to be pointing out how he can armcurl hundreds of pounds, so you can't armbar him :qgreenjum
    "a martial art that has no rules is nothing but violence" - Kenji Tomiki

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/04/2008 2:23pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I doubt Zulu is stronger than Lesnar. Sapp probably is, but I doubt he has the anaerobic endurance. Basically, if you can curl someone's bodyweight, you're effectively immune to armbars from that person.
    No one can do a single arm 200+lbs bicep curl fast enough to stop an armbar by someone weighting 200lbs.

:eng101:
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 2/04/2008 2:26pm at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/04/2008 2:31pm

Style: BJJ, JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dont see how its questionable Brocks dominance of Mir, before the announcer could finish the sentence "How long do you think it'll take for brock to takedown Mir!?" Mir was already on his back. Brock is just a big goober who got caught in a hail mary leg lock by Mir.

Aside from that, I think Brock should face Kimbo after Kimbo eats Tank.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    2/04/2008 2:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wasn't implying that Lesnar's strong enough to be immune to Mir's armbars, in fact, I was hinting at the opposite.

Anyway, I'm thinking a lot of you have not seen what happens when a 150 lbs man tries to armbar a 250 lbs man and the 250 lbs man uses the 150 lbs man as a club to beat on the wall and the ground.

Also, what happens when the 250 guy just extends his arm really fast in an upward direction.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    2/04/2008 3:51pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wasn't implying that Lesnar's strong enough to be immune to Mir's armbars, in fact, I was hinting at the opposite.

Anyway, I'm thinking a lot of you have not seen what happens when a 150 lbs man tries to armbar a 250 lbs man and the 250 lbs man uses the 150 lbs man as a club to beat on the wall and the ground.

Also, what happens when the 250 guy just extends his arm really fast in an upward direction.
    I've been on both sides of that sort of weight disparity and well recognize reality. Mir, however, is not on the wrong side of such a disparity.