Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 289101112 13141516 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/03/2008 3:54pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Watch Mir after Mazagatti stops the fight. He looks dazed and overwhelmed. And this is only like 20 seconds into the fight.. Imagine what would have happened after.. one minute!

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/03/2008 4:07pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What makes you think this would have continue for one minute? What makes you think Mir wasn't working on miminizing the damage while fishing for a sub?

Also, your observation that he looked dazed and ovewhelmed is pretty subjective. Looking tired,dazed,overwhelmed =/= tired,dazed,overwhelmed.

Looking =/= being.

Plenty of individuals have weathered barrages like that while working onto something. Mir weathered it out.

Furthermore, and just to point out that Mir wasn't damaged in those first seconds, observe Lesnar's strikes while on top. All of them were arm punches. It doesn't matter how strong Lesnar is, those strikes won't do **** other than bruising to someone of Mir's size.

Just watch the goddam fight and watch those goddamit flurry arm punches for Christ sake and tell me if any of those had any power behind them. Then go watch a actual Ground-n-Pound, a real bomb from top.

This is where Lesnar failed. Scratch that to inexperience which is no fault of his since this is his second fight in MMA.

Or maybe he tried to ride Mir into exhaustion. Perhaps he tried to overwhelm and distract Mir with those flurries to make him do something and capitalize on it, maybe get a cut and then a medical stoppage. Who knows.

But the fact is that almost no single strike Lesnar delivered while on top had the capacity to damage someone of Mir's size. I challenge YOU and anyone who thinks otherwise to point to the fight and tell me when in that fight Lesnar dropped a bomb from top.

And the fact that you see Mir on bottom under those flurries does not mean he was getting overwhelmed. He did a good job in minimizing damage while hunting for a sub, which he eventually did.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/03/2008 5:38pm

Style: BJJ / freestyle wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lesnar basically tried to do in this fight the same he did in his last fight. surpises me, after all this tough training i hear he has gotten, and when he is supposed to know Mir is a top BJJ guy.

plus, those who say Mir look dazed, ****, look at Nog. he got rocked as **** in the 1st round, and went to win it in the 3rd.

which, looking back, was a decent strategy initially by Sylvia, not instigating a grappling match with a superior grappler. he was winning the standup game, so he'd get back up, try and get a few more shots in, etc. perhaps Lesnar should have stood back up, and done his barrage/tackler/flurry takedown a few more times to weather down Mir, then go for his GnP, instead of standing around like when he got caught.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/03/2008 6:19pm

Style: BJJ, JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mir looked pretty overwhelmed to me, he didnt do one thing offensively untill the knee bar. One punch that *rocked* Mir was the one that knocked him on his ass. I think Brock just made a really bad move with Frank Mir (obviously). I want to see a rematch. I am president of the Brock fanclub now.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    2/03/2008 7:21pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice x-guard.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/04/2008 2:04am

Style: Injured for 1+ years

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    What makes you think this would have continue for one minute? What makes you think Mir wasn't working on miminizing the damage while fishing for a sub?

Also, your observation that he looked dazed and ovewhelmed is pretty subjective. Looking tired,dazed,overwhelmed =/= tired,dazed,overwhelmed.

Looking =/= being.

Plenty of individuals have weathered barrages like that while working onto something. Mir weathered it out.

Furthermore, and just to point out that Mir wasn't damaged in those first seconds, observe Lesnar's strikes while on top. All of them were arm punches. It doesn't matter how strong Lesnar is, those strikes won't do **** other than bruising to someone of Mir's size.

Just watch the goddam fight and watch those goddamit flurry arm punches for Christ sake and tell me if any of those had any power behind them. Then go watch a actual Ground-n-Pound, a real bomb from top.

This is where Lesnar failed. Scratch that to inexperience which is no fault of his since this is his second fight in MMA.

Or maybe he tried to ride Mir into exhaustion. Perhaps he tried to overwhelm and distract Mir with those flurries to make him do something and capitalize on it, maybe get a cut and then a medical stoppage. Who knows.

But the fact is that almost no single strike Lesnar delivered while on top had the capacity to damage someone of Mir's size. I challenge YOU and anyone who thinks otherwise to point to the fight and tell me when in that fight Lesnar dropped a bomb from top.

And the fact that you see Mir on bottom under those flurries does not mean he was getting overwhelmed. He did a good job in minimizing damage while hunting for a sub, which he eventually did.
    Well I just watched it over a couple of times. They definetly were arm punches.

Mir definetly looked confused when he got up, but it was very clear that he was more confused by the stoppage than by anything Brock did. Seriously, I'm not even trying to be a Mir apologist, but he seems HELLA confused and disoriented by the stoppage, mirroring both commentators' confusion and pretty much the confusion of every other experienced person in the building.

A few things to notice, looking for a justification for the stoppage, he checks the back of his head twice for injury and doesn't find anything. After that he seems incredibly bored waiting for the fight to restart. So yeah, I don't think he was ever 'rocked'.

Anyway, the whole fight was kinda BS. Mazzagatti obviously hated Brock (note his tone when he says 'gentlemen i want a clean fight' and the really unfair point deduction). Brock did a pretty bad job of ground and pound, and Mir won by a very slowly executed leg lock that only Brock Lesner would get caught in.

Also it took Mir too long to do it. When I heard about the match up I pretty much assumed Mir would end it very quickly by leglock. I'm suprised anyone thought Brock had a chance.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/04/2008 2:06am

Style: Injured for 1+ years

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    haha The only plus side of the night was seeing all those Pro-Wrestling stars looking so uncharacteristically timid. No disrespect I actually like these guys, but it was funny that they seemed kinda humbled.

Anyone else notice that? Also how Brock's life looked genuinely worried?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/04/2008 9:29am

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had more issue with the point deduction than the standup. The standup was questionable. The point dedcution was inexplicable.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    2/04/2008 12:00pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was impressed by how fast Lesnar spun for the back and by his standup. I was less impressed by how he nearly got armbared from the top of side control.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    2/04/2008 12:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You just don't beat someone that good at BJJ (with the ref on his side) with one years worth of training time.
    Fixed.

Lesnar beat the **** out of Mir in under half a minute and only lost because Dana White said so.