Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/31/2008 1:59pm

Style: ex-wrestler, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The Legend of Bruce Lee TV show set to air summer 2008. AKA Chinese propoganda

Hello all. I would like to put your attention to these Youtube videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsPMMIE3E-Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vfPcPqpLbk

Sorry for not embedding them, but I didn't feel like knowing how to do it. These are the trailers for the new TV show being done in China about the life of Bruce Lee. It will be a forty or so episode TV show that will air either sometime before or during the 2008 Beijin summer Olympic games to allegedly show the world of Chinese culture. Is it that, or is it just a ploy to make money off of the Bruce Lee name, and to spread the Chinese Communist agenda?

It's the second one.

Seriously, what the **** is going on in these trailers? Why is Bruce Lee fighting mercenaries/ronin? Why is Bruce Lee in Thailand fighting Thai fighters in fights? Why is Bruce Lee held at gun point and then able to fight off six or so guys with guns and he having no guns? Why is there obvious usage of wires in many scenes? What the **** is this ****? In the first trailer, at 4:55 of the video, his opponent (mind you Lee never fought in Kung Fu or Karate tournaments) Lee uppercuts his opponent IN THE AIR and keeps him in the air with MULTIPLE PUNCHES TO THE STOMACH!!!!!!!! I don't want to hug Bruce Lee's nut here, but if he were alive today and he saw this ****, he would either scream until his head explodes, or he would smile because he knows it would make boatloads of money off of stupid rubes.

Seriously, this show is SO un-Bruce Lee like. If you thought "Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story" was innacurate and ridiculous, this takes the cake. Man, I was naive thinking this show would be at LEAST a few iotas more accurate than Dragon, but no.

But, there are a few positives to this show. The fights scenes, even though un-Bruce Lee like and fake looking, look cool. There are actual martial artists that were cast in the show (Michael Jai White as Muhammad Ali, Ernest "The Cat" Miller as Earnie Shavers, Mark Dacascos as a Thai fighter, Danny Chan aka the goalie from Shaolin Soccer is playing as Lee and looks almost exactly like him, Ray Parks as Chuck Norris, Gary Daniels but IMDB doesn't say who he plays as, etc.) But in the show, why does Yip Man have hair, a long white beard, and looks to be about 170 lbs.? I think that is supposed to be Yip Man in the show, but it looks nothing like the real Yip Man.

Oh, and the Communist Chinese propoganda part? In both trailers (right after the whole "uppercut into the air and punches keeping his opponent there stunt) Lee raises his hands to the crowd and says (in Mandarin I believe, even though Lee spoke Cantonese primarily) "I am a Chinese!" Even though Lee was born in San Francisco, and was raised in and lived in Hong Kong, so he wasn't technically "Chinese" (Hong Kong wa sunder British rule at the time) and Lee never took pride in being Chinese.

Oh, and something else. I know what everyone is thinking; "Why are Muhammad Ali and Earnie Shavers being portrayed in this movie?" Exactly. That fight happened in 1978, five years after Bruce Lee's death. So like everything else about this show, what the ****?

Ah well, I will be catching the show if it comes Stateside (I bet it will, DVD at the least) so of course I would want to see it. But it won't be pretty. They should just go ahead and have Bruce Lee fighting zombie ninjas and do Kamehameha waves ot of his hands. Why the **** not? At least the seriousness is gone and believabilty is out the window, for the viewers who will believe Lee's life was actually how it was portrayed in this show and in "Dragon". Thoughts? Opinions?

Edit:: Whoa! Even though I only put the hyperlinks in the thread, it actually automatically embedded the videos! ALL HAIL THE POWERS OF BULLSHIDO!!!

Rowsdower!

Posted On:
    1/31/2008 2:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: On Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bruce Lee air-juggling a dude and kicking the crap out of Mark Dacascos with his l33t kung fu skills?

That sounds about right.

The gift that keeps on giving

Posted On:
    1/31/2008 2:26pm

supporting member
     Style: On hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    1/31/2008 2:31pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It might show up in the States on the AZN network.

Posted On:
    1/31/2008 3:03pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude, I wouldn't get too worked up- they're just like us- they've run out of ideas for movies, so they are fictionalizing Bruce Lee into a superhero. That Huo Yuan Jia movie that Jet Li did was almost entirely made up, beyond one or two incidents in his life- his descendents are actually pretty offended by the movie.

And yes, it's nationalistic as hell, but who isn't?

A quick note, Bruce Lee didn't want to release Way of the Dragon in the U.S., because he made it to appeal to Chinese audiences- he probably felt it was a little too anti-western- so go figure.
    "Coffee is for Closers" GlenGarry Glenross

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/31/2008 3:18pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     New York MMA Examiner Style: magic FUCKING powers!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boy, I'm glad we don't give our historical figures made-up backgrounds and superpowers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShacjHxHrv8

Oh wait.

Posted On:
    1/31/2008 3:23pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mel Gibson, ugh. However, good point!
    "Coffee is for Closers" GlenGarry Glenross

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/31/2008 4:08pm

Style: ex-wrestler, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin.74
    It might show up in the States on the AZN network.
    Yeah, I was thinking about AZN network. They show low-budget Chinese and Korean soap operas, so they HAVE to show The Legend Of Bruce Lee. It would suck for people with DirecTV because AZN isn't available on DirecTV. It is on Comcast (I have Comcast, it's on Channel 191 in my area, my dad has DirecTV at his place). But I don't know about Dish Network.

Yeah, of course biographical mives and shows are ALWAYS fictionalized and over-exaggerated, but THIS show takes the cake. But I still wonder why the Muhammad Ali vs. Earnie Shavers fight is portrayed. They might as well just have Bruce Lee going Super Sayain and fight zombie ninjas as I said. And even have him go back in time to fight Mussolini and Hitler and their henchmen. If they want to go fictional, they might as well go all out.

My pleasure.

Posted On:
    1/31/2008 4:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: yang taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fightin Penguin
    Yeah, I was thinking about AZN network. They show low-budget Chinese and Korean soap operas, so they HAVE to show The Legend Of Bruce Lee. It would suck for people with DirecTV because AZN isn't available on DirecTV. It is on Comcast (I have Comcast, it's on Channel 191 in my area, my dad has DirecTV at his place). But I don't know about Dish Network.

Yeah, of course biographical mives and shows are ALWAYS fictionalized and over-exaggerated, but THIS show takes the cake. But I still wonder why the Muhammad Ali vs. Earnie Shavers fight is portrayed. They might as well just have Bruce Lee going Super Sayain and fight zombie ninjas as I said. And even have him go back in time to fight Mussolini and Hitler and their henchmen. If they want to go fictional, they might as well go all out.
    Oh, Oh, he could fight Helio, Mas, Jhoon Rhee, and Mifune. Thus proving his martial and racial superiority. Wait what?
    Sumus extra manum tuam.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/31/2008 5:12pm

Style: Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Howcome its always dissing on the "Chinese propaganda"?
    America has a hell of a lot more propaganda anyway.

Sadam's nucklear weapons... All the crazy religious people (and leaders!), fox news... :/
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast