Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/31/2008 6:10am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: aikido/judo/iaido/jodo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Peyton Quinn??

I am reading his Bouncer Guide and something ain't right.

He claims to have done a bunch of Judo but he majorly misspells one of the most common techniques- o soto gari or U soto gari according to him. Then does it again on kasa katame- no such thing but he probably means kesa gatame or possibly kata gatame.

He also claims not to be good on the ground. You dont make it very long in judo without being at least decent on the ground.

He also misspells mushin or mushen according to him

I gotta cry foul, something just aint jiving. This guy is supposed to have "studied judo extensively", is writing a book, and an ex schoolteacher to boot, it is just too unbelieveable to make such errors. I would equate it to misspelling your kid's name, it dont happen and it damn sure dont happen when it is important as in writing a book.

All my USJA judo ranks required a written test. I think I learned Osoto and kesa on the first day and never forgot them.

Anyone seen any proof this guy is what he says. Where is his ranking from and can it be verified. Who were his teachers? What dojo is he from?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/31/2008 7:00am

Style: Ju-Jitsu, Self-Defence

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know about lineage, credentials and such like but I swapped a couple of emails with Peyton Quinn a while back, can't really remember the contents right now. I think we were talking about firearms.

Point is, he was willing to chat about stuff and seemed very genuine. You might try shooting him a mail and asking a couple of polite questions. Based on my experience he'd probably be willing to answer.

Posted On:
    1/31/2008 9:15am

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just guessing, he probably has a ghost writer and the person more than likely made the mistake......

It's all about the clinch. The clinch, I said.

Posted On:
    1/31/2008 9:25am

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO, mma, jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Look,

Peyton Quinn writes books and offers instruction based on his years as a bouncer. Of course he's not gonna focus much on ground-fighting. You show me a guy who likes to fight in bars who wants to end up on the ground? Especially a bouncer who is going to try and diffuse a situation often involving more than one person. What makes you think he's gonna want to go to the ground with one person, let alone more than one? He'll get fucking stomped.

And does it really matter if he's mispelling ****? Particularly words that are anglicazations(sp?) of japanese words? You knew what he was talking about right? So what's the problem?

I don't think Peyton Quinn's books were ghost written, but its Paladin Press, am I right? Its probably just suffering from not the best production.

He seems to be a pretty irreverent guy in general, concerned mostly with what he's found to work for him, Marc "Animal" MacYoung is similar in that regard. He's probably more concerned with getting the information out there than if his spelling is perfect.
    Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
    and remember what peace there may be in silence.
    As far as possible, without surrender,
    be on good terms with all persons.
    Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
    and listen to others,
    even to the dull and ignorant;
    they too have their story.

-excerpt of the poem called "Desiderata," by Max Ehrman, 1927.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/31/2008 9:54am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I see the OP's point; but I would bet on the side of crappy editing.

For example, "Passing the Guard: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Details and Techniques," by Ed Beneville, is held in esteem as being one of the best BJJ beginner reference books.....however, the editing is fucking awful. **** is misspelled or simply a grammatical nightmare to the point where I could only look at the pictures as trying to read it hurt my brain.

I haven't seen where Quinn says he is an "expert" in Judo, or even a competent instructor in Judo.

His stuff seems like no bullshit analysis and anecdotal examples of the usefulness of MA's under stressful real life situations. While the books me be at a gramaticval level of a 4th grader, mind you I have not read anything by Quinn and I am just going on what was posted by the OP, I don't see the "bullshit" in it.

Can you, the OP, provide anything further concerning what you believe is "bullshit" about Quinn's credentials, claims, theories, techniques, etc, etc.?

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/31/2008 1:12pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by aceinyerface
    I am reading his Bouncer Guide and something ain't right.

He claims to have done a bunch of Judo but he majorly misspells one of the most common techniques- o soto gari or U soto gari according to him. Then does it again on kasa katame- no such thing but he probably means kesa gatame or possibly kata gatame.

He also claims not to be good on the ground. You dont make it very long in judo without being at least decent on the ground.

He also misspells mushin or mushen according to him

I gotta cry foul, something just aint jiving. This guy is supposed to have "studied judo extensively", is writing a book, and an ex schoolteacher to boot, it is just too unbelieveable to make such errors. I would equate it to misspelling your kid's name, it dont happen and it damn sure dont happen when it is important as in writing a book.

All my USJA judo ranks required a written test. I think I learned Osoto and kesa on the first day and never forgot them.

Anyone seen any proof this guy is what he says. Where is his ranking from and can it be verified. Who were his teachers? What dojo is he from?
    Personally I think you sound like an elitist. If he was blowing up his credentials or making up the stories then we could talk. I think you should rethink why you put this post up in this forum. If you'd like to make fun of somebody's grammar it should go up in YMAS not the investigation and Fraud section of this forum.

Posted On:
    1/31/2008 1:21pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have to second Omega on that. I was looking at Chuck Liddell's book the other day, and there were all kinds of punctuation errors. I don't think anyone is going to question Chuck's credentials, or what he says it takes to be a champion, either, just because no one proof read a sentence. Hell, they were probably going "YOU tell his grammar sucks!"...
    "Coffee is for Closers" GlenGarry Glenross

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/31/2008 2:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Paladin Press offers some funky stuff and they will publish books that many others won't touch, but their editing and proof-reading is lousy.

Posted On:
    1/31/2008 3:14pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR
    Paladin Press offers some funky stuff and they will publish books that many others won't touch, but their editing and proof-reading is lousy.
    So I guess Paladin must have a very Cavalier attitude towards editing. <rimshot>

It's all about the clinch. The clinch, I said.

Posted On:
    1/31/2008 3:32pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO, mma, jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They publish a bit of both.

For instance, sure to land you on a red-flag list someplace in the U.S. government:

And a pretty useful book about self-defense:

http://www.paladin-press.com/detail.aspx?ID=202

By useful I mean some good stuff having to do with body language and awareness. I don't like the actual physical techniques, but he doesn't expect you to learn those from the book anyway, I think they're more like examples.
    Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
    and remember what peace there may be in silence.
    As far as possible, without surrender,
    be on good terms with all persons.
    Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
    and listen to others,
    even to the dull and ignorant;
    they too have their story.

-excerpt of the poem called "Desiderata," by Max Ehrman, 1927.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast