Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/20/2008 6:40pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by illegalusername
    BJJ people tend to be especially touchy about people with fake belt ranks. And i guess nobody likes seeing a guy claim a million-dan blackbelt in his art without actually putting any work into it.
    I agree that nobody should be snubbed about a lower belt rank.

Kudos to David for stepping up and clearing the thing up. Only if all first posts were so awesome :icon_blac
    I can fully understand why the BJJ community gets offended by someone claiming to have a black belt rank. It is disrespectful. I can tell you that when I trained with Dave we didnt even discuss belt rankings. We had a group of guys that Dave trained here in the valley, and we got together and learned different chokes and joint locks. We also worked stand up, clutching, throws, takedowns and as I said in my last post some muay thai kicks.

In Dave's post he explained the black belt he wore, and stated his current ranking. I hope this straightens out some of the past issues. If you ever get the chance to meet up with him and hang out, whether its to roll around or go have a beer, you will see that he is a laid back dude that is intelligent and hard not to like.

Posted On:
    5/25/2008 11:52am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ/Wrestling/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the support Scott,

how u been... haven't seen you in a few years. Take care of yourself bro. Shoot me an email sometime at dvannest1969@yahoo.com.

Posted On:
    7/03/2008 10:44pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WOW...where do I start? First, I have never posted anything anywhere before so this is all new. I was trying to look up my old friend and I had to post when I read all of the silly crap about Dave on here and other sites. For the record, I was one of Dave's first students when he started teaching. And for what is it worth, he is great instructor. He really pushes you and coaches you and, ultimately, you get better. That is what its all about right? Who gives a crap who has a BB or who gave it to whom. Its silly. I have been in martial arts for decades and I would like to tell some truth: the BB system in BJJ is nothing more than a network marketing scheme, like amway. It's all supply and demand frankly, the fewer BB there are, the more $ insructors can charge. LOL so long as their BB has a direct line to Brazil. Silly. Dave offered quality instruction (which I found out when I went tot a BJJ school for a bit years later and did better than I should have) and he let some of us "starving college kids" go without paying tuition a time or two. That is called dedication to the art, not dedication to the 'business'. Unlike many McDojos teaching BJJ.

At the end of the day, Dave is stand up dude that knows his craft well and has proven it time and time again on the mat. He deals with his critics like a man and keeps on roll'n, teaching and getting better. Good Luck Bro! I meant to come out to the Arnold to see you, but was out o town for work. Maybe next year! hit me up Go_bucks3039@yahoo.com

Rowsdower!

Posted On:
    7/03/2008 11:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: On Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So BJJ black belts, by and large, are money-grubbin' scheming shysters whose rank probably ain't worth a hill o' beans?

Huh, whoda thunk. I didn't realize they were on the same level as the chubby Kempo and TKD black belts I see crawlin' out tha woodwork.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2008 11:26pm

Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can think of no martial art/science that requires as much knowledge and training as the BJJ black belt. People who spend 9 year training hard in BJJ and are only mid-level brown belts (A huge accomplishment in and of itself) are right to question claimants of BJJ blackbeltdom who can't demonstrate lineage and prove their abilities in competition.

Van Nest clearly has demonstrable purple belt lineage, nobody has suggested he made false claims of a BJJ black belt, and we've all stated that we respect his straight answers to the simple questions of why he has been seen wearing a black belt. Unless there's a legitimate question as to his JJJ black belt lineage, thread over, question answered, mission accomplished.

It sounds, from his response, that he is currently wearing the purple belt with the 3 stripes, despite having earned a black belt in a different form. This seems to demonstrate real reverence for BJJ and indicates a high level of technical knowledge/understanding. Thread over?

Posted On:
    10/25/2008 1:07pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Modern Arnis / FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello, all. My name is Scott Bell and I knew Dave back during the 1994 "Gracie Explosion" era. Dave & I used to train regularly at the St. Clairsville Raquet Club along with a host of other dedicated people. (Matt, Patrick, Lucien, Jim, and Sean) After the Raquet Club closed its doors, we lost touch altogether. As for Dave's skill, he was always the best of our group. His previous background in wrestling lent itself extremely well to his BJJ practice. I remember the day he got his black belt from his sensei and how excited he was to starting his own group. I've seen Dave's fighters at the Arnold Classic and was astounded how refined his teaching and practice has become. Good luck in Beckley, Dave! Hope all is well for you.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12