Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/31/2008 12:37am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

David Vannest - Anyone trained with him?

Read some stuff on another forum and wanted to know if anyone knew him here.

Apparently he claimed to be a BJJ BB, but was 'joking.'
    He's also under Jorge Gurgel not apparently.
    He also did some Twister Spine-Lock Series instructional I read was poor.

Anyone?
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

BJJ Purple Belt

Posted On:
    1/31/2008 5:42pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hes definately not a credible BJJ black belt, if he still continues to claim that rank. I believe he calls what he does "SAW" jiu jitsu or whatever the hell you want to call it. Nontheless, I saw the demo of him on tv in which he was wearing a black belt. I believe his last given rank may have been that of a purple belt. Not to say that he doesnt have a decent understanding of the game, but you simply wouldnt want to train with someone with a personality such as that.

go to www.jiujitsugear.com/forum and do a search on his name. he got hit hard on there

Posted On:
    2/19/2008 1:41pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ/Wrestling/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    David Vannest here. I am a three-stripe purple belt under Jorge Gurgel. The black belt you may have seen me wear is my black belt in traditional Japanese Ju-jitsu. SAW (which stood for submission art wrestling) was an organization or club that I used to have that I branched off of my old school in Wheeling, WV called Ohio Valley Jiu-jitsu. I have since deep sixed the SAW name and logo. I teach and train and Beckley MMA/Team Jorge Gurgel in Beckley, WV. This is Bryan Atterson's school that he started when he moved back to Beckley. He has since moved to NC now trains in Charolatte, so I took over the teaching duties for him so his school can keep rolling. I still go to the Ohio Valley area and teach my old students from time to time. Anyone passing through southern WV sould stop by and train with us at Beckley MMA. www.trainmma.com

And as for my asswhopin I got a couple of years ago on jiujitsugear.com/forum. I took it like a man an kept on steppin. I still occasionally post there. People who know me or meet me are suprised to find out that I am not nearly as much of a dick as I came off as online.
    Last edited by dvannest; 2/19/2008 3:49pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/19/2008 1:48pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, that was a very nice and calm post. Welcome to Bullshido.
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Posted On:
    2/19/2008 1:54pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ/Wrestling/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks, bro.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/20/2008 12:13pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Belts are over-rated anyways

Whats up everyone, this is my first post. My name is Scott Joseph, Im 36 and Im in the Ohio Valley. I dont and never did understand why so many people judge the abilities of someone based on the color of the belt they are wearing. Just because you have a Black Belt doesnt mean you are a bad a*s, and just because you are wearing a lesser rank belt doesnt mean that you arent a bad a*s.

As for Dave Vannest, whats up bro? I have known Dave for 14 years. I dont know what is all true and not true in regards to things that were said by Dave or about Dave in the forums over the past few years, so I cant comment on that. I can tell you this though, I learned alot from Dave, both JJ with some muay thai thrown in. He is really a great dude, and a great friend. He doesnt forget his roots.

One last thing. Before you criticize Dave and his abilities, roll with him. Then post your opinions.

Posted On:
    4/20/2008 12:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dvannest
    David Vannest here. I am a three-stripe purple belt under Jorge Gurgel. The black belt you may have seen me wear is my black belt in traditional Japanese Ju-jitsu. SAW (which stood for submission art wrestling) was an organization or club that I used to have that I branched off of my old school in Wheeling, WV called Ohio Valley Jiu-jitsu. I have since deep sixed the SAW name and logo. I teach and train and Beckley MMA/Team Jorge Gurgel in Beckley, WV. This is Bryan Atterson's school that he started when he moved back to Beckley. He has since moved to NC now trains in Charolatte, so I took over the teaching duties for him so his school can keep rolling. I still go to the Ohio Valley area and teach my old students from time to time. Anyone passing through southern WV sould stop by and train with us at Beckley MMA. www.trainmma.com

And as for my asswhopin I got a couple of years ago on jiujitsugear.com/forum. I took it like a man an kept on steppin. I still occasionally post there. People who know me or meet me are suprised to find out that I am not nearly as much of a dick as I came off as online.
    Holy **** a miracle just happened. Wow. This is a first, someone gets called out on Bullshido and actually leaves an calm and intelligent reply. Holy ****.

Props to you man, best first post ever.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    4/20/2008 12:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Excellent post, Mr Vannest.

Did you ever actually claim to be a BJJ black belt, or did people just assume you were claiming it since you wore a bb?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/20/2008 1:14pm

Style: MMA + Harmonica

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wa2ruff
    Just because you have a Black Belt doesnt mean you are a bad a*s, and just because you are wearing a lesser rank belt doesnt mean that you arent a bad a*s.
    BJJ people tend to be especially touchy about people with fake belt ranks. And i guess nobody likes seeing a guy claim a million-dan blackbelt in his art without actually putting any work into it.
    I agree that nobody should be snubbed about a lower belt rank.

Kudos to David for stepping up and clearing the thing up. Only if all first posts were so awesome :icon_blac

Posted On:
    4/20/2008 2:00pm

Style: Koryu Budo, Shooto

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dvannest

Awesome job. This isn't meant to be a 'test' question or anything- I really am just curious- what style of JJJ do you practice? I'm particularly fond of old school JJJ styles.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast