Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: Choosing a MA

Style
    none
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Choosing a MA

Hello

I am obviously new to these forums but have been doing a little bit of reading on it lately, I really love martial arts however I am finding myself in an every more frustrating circumstance....

I just can't pick one:dontknow:...

There isn't really a martial arts style (to my knowledge anyway) that I do NOT like, I just don't know where to start, kind if frustrating as I have quite the library of Books and DvDs of many martial arts styles. Problem is I THINK I am too influenced by what I am reading/seeing and I am not sure about it being 'practical' or Ritual/Spiritual (even though some claim there practical it's more then obvious to even the novice that it just isn't).

I'd like to here some suggestions and opinions from others I am open to all suggestions wether you flame or give good information opinions are opinions.

Style
    Jacket wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What are you goals? What do you want to get out of the martial arts?

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I suggest you think about - why you want to do martial arts? What kind of time do you have to devote to it?

Moreover, what kind of schools are in your area?
    Have you checked them out, whats your opinion on them?
    Do you have any experience with any particular type? What kind of physical background do you have?

Welcome on board, by the way. I strongly suggest you read through the forums, read the stickies and the info threads. Read widely and openly.

Chaos? Panic?... Disorder??
    .........................​My work here is done.

Style
    none
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I want to be able to protect myself, with the world evolving as it is morals and decentcy seem to be LOOOONG gone.

I have always been a very physically active person, I started out as an Amateur bodybuilder and have always been involved in contact sports within my school.

I did take up Tae Kwon Do a while ago however I walked out of the class because I thought the teacher was just full of himself, I am currently looking into all the schools in my area.

Time for training isn't really an issue as I can model my work hours around the Training and I am willing to travel far for a good teacher.

Style
    Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where is your area and DO read the stickies at the top - some thought and effort went into them and hopefully they can help give you some ideas and direction. And save everyone making a lot of repeated advices.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Style
    BJJ, judo, rapier
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharnath View Post
    I want to be able to protect myself, with the world evolving as it is morals and decentcy seem to be LOOOONG gone.
    Where are you? If you are in the US, keep in mind that violent crime has been decreasing for the past couple of decades. (Media presentations of violent crime has not decreased accordingly.)

The best methods of self defence are, obviously, staying out of dangerous areas, talking your way out of any situations that do arise, and running away if something does escalate. “Running really fast” is a very good method of physical self defence. Failing that, carrying a gun is effective, and a gun (unlike any martial art) can completely offset size and strength differentials.

Once you’ve exhausted all those possibilities, if you feel you need a martial art for self defence, try one that actually teaches you to fight, i.e. involves sparring and competition. Stock answers: Boxing, Muay Thai, judo, Brazilian jiu-jitsu, sambo, wrestling, etc.; or of course MMA. More of my thoughts here.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Style
    none
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I live in Australia, the presence of guns in the public is not a common thing infact VERY rare, I live in a rough neighbour hood generally refered to as "Retirement village by day and the hood by night" lol and well every friday and saturday night me and the mates like to go out and have a few drinks or just enjoy ourselves however there have been FARRRRRR too many times where I have had to do what you describe...run.

And I am tired of running or tired of living in fear its bullshit.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens! supporting member

Style
    karate / bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    move.

martial arts WILL NOT reduce the amount of running the **** away you need to do, so long as you still live in the same place, and hang out with the same people.

well, other than the part where you're too goddamn sore to go out drinking. that MIGHT save your ass.
    Last edited by pauli; 3/23/2010 4:58am at .

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido.

Learn Judo.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharnath View Post
    I live in Australia, the presence of guns in the public is not a common thing infact VERY rare, I live in a rough neighbour hood generally refered to as "Retirement village by day and the hood by night" lol and well every friday and saturday night me and the mates like to go out and have a few drinks or just enjoy ourselves however there have been FARRRRRR too many times where I have had to do what you describe...run.

And I am tired of running or tired of living in fear its bullshit.
    Where abouts? We aussies might chime in to give some advice.

If you like your striking, look into boxing or kickboxing or a good karate school. If you like your less flaily arts find the Judo or BJJ schools in your area and try them out. (these are off the top of my head suggestions.)
    Judo is always a good suggestion.

Most schools will give you a decent fitness starting point, and the best form of self defense is prevention. Followed quickly by escape.

Chaos? Panic?... Disorder??
    .........................​My work here is done.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last