Thread: Newbie intro

Style
    MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Newbie intro

Hey everyone, 1st Martial Arts forum, so introducing myself...
    I'm Mike, originally from St. Louis, MO, until I married an Irish women, and moved to Belfast in 2008. I guess to explain Martial arts experience, I Started off in Tae Kwon Do as a kid at Ahn's Tae Kwon Do Academy. Quit after receiving 1st Degree Blackbelt, and have just kind of dabbled since then. Maintained rank at a Shito-Ryu Karate dojo that did kickboxing&shoot wrestling called Blackbelt Self Defense&Fitness( now USA Karate Clubs) for 2 years, and left to pursue BMX biking. Wrestled Freshman year of high school, did Ninjitsu for a year at Missouri Bujinkan dojo (Green Belt), and discontinued after enlisting in USMC. Received mandatory MCMAP training there(Tan Belt). Got married and moved to Ireland a couple years after stint in service in 2008. After a year of being lazy, and looking for a hobby, I started doing MMA here at Frames, and joined a Kickboxing gym, (Prokick Belfast). The instructor, Billy Murray(4 time world champion WKN) has various martial art experience, and has a belt system, in which I'm currently a Green Belt.
    Nice place you have here.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yay for Ireland. Is the ****. Welcome on board, mate. You have quite the history there, how are you liking MMA?

As a kindly newbietown suggestion, paragraphs are your friend. They will turn your walls of text into posts which are easier to read and wont scare off all the little illiterate posters on board. ;)
    Chaos? Panic?... Disorder??.........................​My work here is done.

Style
    Trad. JuJitsu, SanShou
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido, man from Thin Lizzy-land!

Style
    MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the welcomes, and sorry about the lack of paragraph thing. It was first thing in the morning, and I was about to head off to work ;)

I'm liking the MMA, been at it about a year now. Originally got involved to keep the beer gut at bay, so it was tough to hang with the guys that compete at first....still is actually.

The gym only does MMA on Friday nights, that end up wrecking your weekend plans afterwards sometimes. Once a week there gives me a little time for the mat burns to heal, and focus on Kickboxing. Plus the instructors are great. They're there because they want to help out, only charge 5 a go, and some even go to other gyms themselves.

You gota fuckin love Whiskey in a Jar! :)

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsteryank View Post
    Thanks for the welcomes, and sorry about the lack of paragraph thing. It was first thing in the morning, and I was about to head off to work ;)

I'm liking the MMA, been at it about a year now. Originally got involved to keep the beer gut at bay, so it was tough to hang with the guys that compete at first....still is actually.

The gym only does MMA on Friday nights, that end up wrecking your weekend plans afterwards sometimes. Once a week there gives me a little time for the mat burns to heal, and focus on Kickboxing. Plus the instructors are great. They're there because they want to help out, only charge 5 a go, and some even go to other gyms themselves.

You gota fuckin love Whiskey in a Jar! :)
    No problems mate, we all live an learn. Sounds like you've got a good gym set up there, the people really make a difference to training, i find.
    Chaos? Panic?... Disorder??.........................​My work here is done.