Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
  1. --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Akebono vs. Sapp

Akebono will debut against 'The Beast'

<center></center>

By Kenji Hall
    Associated Press

Former sumo grand champion Akebono, right, will take on former NFL player and U.S. K-1 fighter Bob Sapp on Dec. 31.
    Associated Press

TOKYO It's official.

Former sumo grand champion Akebono said yesterday he has formally quit the sumo world and will launch a new career in Japan's K-1, a brutal sport that combines elements of karate, kickboxing and taekwondo.

Akebono (Waimanalo's Chad Rowan), the first foreigner ever to reach sumo's highest rank, had retired from the ring in 2001 but remained a senior member of the association.

The soft-spoken 34-year-old tendered his resignation to sumo's governing body Wednesday. He said he decided to come out of retirement for his three children, who were too young to witness his peak as a dominant yokozuna, or grand champion.

"My kids probably don't remember seeing their father in sumo. I wanted them to see their father fight," he told a press conference. "I couldn't suppress my feeling of wanting to return to fight."

Akebono said he would take on former NFL lineman Bob Sapp, nicknamed "The Beast," in his debut K-1 match Dec. 31.

Under an agreement with the K-1 organization that promotes fights for eight matches in Japan, Akebono might also face ex-heavyweight boxing champion Mike Tyson, said K-1 producer Sadaharu Tanigaki. Tyson signed a K-1 contract in August.

The 6-foot-9, 484-pound Akebono was forced to retire from sumo because of persistent knee problems.

Akebono sought to downplay speculation that he might be hobbled by his weight and possible injuries in K-1, as he was at the twilight of his sumo career.

"When I retired from sumo my body was in bad shape. I have been recovering, slowly but surely," he said.

K-1 is wildly popular in Japan, where bouts are regularly staged before crowds of up to 70,000. The sport has held events in the United States and is seeking expansion there.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../sp/sp16a.html
    Last edited by Phrost; 11/07/2003 4:41pm at .

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    11/07/2003 12:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Battle of the BULGE !!!!!

WEIGHTING

Posted On:
    11/07/2003 2:15pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They'll set a record at the WEIGH-In for Total Poundage...

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/07/2003 6:04pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL...who do you think will win this one??? i say Sapp...but then again you can never underestimate the strength of a sumo wrestler.
    Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.
    -Albert Einstein

Posted On:
    11/07/2003 6:21pm

Style: MMA-Vale Tudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sapp is gonna kill
    Once a fighter, Always a fighter. Shawn
    -Styles i train in-
    Judo
    Bjj
    Mtkickboxing
    Western boxing
    Wrestling

Posted On:
    11/07/2003 6:23pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This will be a real test of TMA vs MMA

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/07/2003 6:52pm

Style: ITF Taekwon-Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I saw Akebono sumo in Los Angeles earlier this year at the US Sumo Open. The man is a mountain. After the event him and a the other sumo wrestlers went out for drinks at my friends bar. Still to this day I have never seen or heard of anyone drinking as much alcohol as he had that night. He drank enough to kill an elephant. Just to give you an example of the things he drank that night, two economy size bottles of jagermister by himself, and six scooner glasses of beer which a comparable to 2 1/2 beers per glass, just for starters, and the list goes on. It was diffently something to have watched.

WEIGHTING

Posted On:
    11/07/2003 7:30pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sapp will win.

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    11/07/2003 7:36pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like leading a fat lamb to slaughter.

While I've seen some pretty technical sumo, I never go the impression that was Akebono's strong suit. With his health and joint problems I see no positives in this for Akebono.

Shogun of Long Island

Posted On:
    11/07/2003 10:09pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    doesn't sound like akebono is in any shape to take on sapp.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast