Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/29/2008 2:42pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Another Noob Question

I am new to the world of FMA and had a couple of quick questions. What is the difference between Kali/Arnis/Escrima? Is one form better than the others as a form of self-defence? Are there any good schools in the Detroit or Southwestern Ontario area?
    Thanks.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/29/2008 3:28pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kali/Arnis/Eskrima are all generic terms for Filipino Martial Arts that people argue over a lot. Personally, I don't think it's worth it to argue over the names. As far as I've seen, there is no single style that represents Kali, Arnis, or Eskrima. There are individual styles that use the terms like Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Villabrille Largusa Kali; Modern Arnis and Lightning Scientific Arnis; Cabales Serrada Eskrima and Doce Pares Eskrima. These styles bear a common name, but are really quite a bit different from each other and in most cases don't have the same roots. So it's hard to make a judgment on such vague terms. To me it would be like saying is Kung Fu better than Wushu because both terms are used to generically refer to Chinese Martial Arts and essentially mean the same thing.

As far as schools around Detroit go there are some good FMA practitioners in the area. If you want to do Inosanto's method look for Chris Maligerri (spelling is probably wrong) or David Hatch. If you can't find them call the Inosanto academy to check for their school contact information.

I think there is a Pekiti Tirsia group in Detroit, but I don't know any of them. You could try looking at pt-go.com.

There is a lot of Modern Arnis in that area because Remy used to live there for awhile.

There are also some Balintawak practitioners in the area that trained under Ted Buot. If you find one of the Modern Arnis groups they should be able to connect you to the Balintawak group since the groups overlap some.

Posted On:
    1/30/2008 6:49pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Epa
    Kali/Arnis/Eskrima are all generic terms for Filipino Martial Arts that people argue over a lot. Personally, I don't think it's worth it to argue over the names. As far as I've seen, there is no single style that represents Kali, Arnis, or Eskrima. There are individual styles that use the terms like Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Villabrille Largusa Kali; Modern Arnis and Lightning Scientific Arnis; Cabales Serrada Eskrima and Doce Pares Eskrima. These styles bear a common name, but are really quite a bit different from each other and in most cases don't have the same roots. So it's hard to make a judgment on such vague terms. To me it would be like saying is Kung Fu better than Wushu because both terms are used to generically refer to Chinese Martial Arts and essentially mean the same thing.

As far as schools around Detroit go there are some good FMA practitioners in the area. If you want to do Inosanto's method look for Chris Maligerri (spelling is probably wrong) or David Hatch. If you can't find them call the Inosanto academy to check for their school contact information.

I think there is a Pekiti Tirsia group in Detroit, but I don't know any of them. You could try looking at pt-go.com.

There is a lot of Modern Arnis in that area because Remy used to live there for awhile.

There are also some Balintawak practitioners in the area that trained under Ted Buot. If you find one of the Modern Arnis groups they should be able to connect you to the Balintawak group since the groups overlap some.
    The Detroit Pit Bulls spar hard and spar often, do a lot of the grappling stuff in the curriculum waaaay more often than most pekiti schools do, only downside is the leaders goofy mysticism(the Pit Bulls are a term for pekiti groups that don't have official instructor types when they get started, and are more like intense study groups than schools).

I do think they have a really real guro now though.

Also, sorry that you have to live in Detroit.

Posted On:
    1/31/2008 9:35am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the replies.
    Self: Don't worry, I don't live in Detroit. I live across the river, but would go to Detroit for a good school.

Posted On:
    2/01/2008 12:06am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!