Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/30/2008 9:33am

Style: MT, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TehDeadlyDimMak
    The thing I'm noticing is that many fighters tend to bob and weave with their hands down or open. The way I've been taught is to slip punches with nonexaggerated movements, while keeping my hands tucked on my chin.
    I agree 100%.

edit: oh yeah, I was also taught to slip punches upright and to keep looking at the opponent. So it's not the "hunched over/face down" bobbing and weaving.
    I also agree with this. Hey how come you get to edit?

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    1/30/2008 10:12am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm unaware as to whether slipping side-to-side will decrease the effectiveness of one's kicks. Both of our head coaches encourage slipping punches with nonexaggerated movements and a tight boxing guard.

For instance, if someone was throwing a lead hand hook at me (assume we're both orthodox)
    I would start to move my head away from the punch (left) and then lower my head level to go under the punch, all while keeping my guard tight, torso relatively upright, and eyes on my opponent. In the end the slip should be a small circular motion. It's important not to bend at the waist and look at the floor, but instead slip the punch by lowering levels with my knees.

I hope that helps. How does everyone else do it?
    that sounds like what i have been taught in the past... and for example, if my opponent throws a jab (we're both orthodox in this example as well) i would move my head to the outside of the jab (to the right) while moving forward and hitting with my own jab. if they threw a cross, i would start moving to the right, then change levels with my knees lowering my head level to come under the punch as i go to the left while at the same time closing distance as well (and throwing a body shot or two in the process.)

i get the impression that my new coach is not so into this type of movement. when i find out what he has in mind i will update and we can discuss pros vs. cons. i was interested in hearing how you guys do it, as you are from a respected sanda gym.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/30/2008 10:19am

Style: Judo-Brown

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wanna see good head movement? watch BJ Penn Fight

He doesn't move around excessively... just just consistantly slips the jab.

Posted On:
    1/30/2008 4:25pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Panda
    Nobody teaches people to exaggerate their head movement or fight with their hands down. It's just not easy to do everything perfect in a fight.
    I've actually seen slipping taught so that it looked like a ridiculous tribal dance. I try not to underestimate the level of poor instruction in the world.

You're right though, it is much harder to implement something in real time situations.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/30/2008 4:57pm

Style: Panda Punch

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've actually seen slipping taught so that it looked like a ridiculous tribal dance. I try not to underestimate the level of poor instruction in the world.
    Well yeah...by "nobody" I meant nobody whose IQ is higher than their shoe size. I try my best to ignore all the dumb **** that goes on in the strip mall dojos these days.

King of the Impossible

Posted On:
    2/09/2008 11:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Grapplomancer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't think of how slipping to the outside of a punch would be bad if I was fighting orthodox v orthodox, but I haven't eaten many knees to the face lately, so I'm a little rusty. Staying there too long and leaving your hands down are obvious danger times.

The danger, as I sees it, would be in getting kneed in the face after ducking underneath a hook. Either by having my head grabbed, or my opponent timing it well. Not staying there too long or keeping your hands up isn't as helpful here, because you're still getting a knee slammed into your noggin.

I still believe in the sexiness of slipping/ducking. In my personal experience, I mixed and matched defensive measures into it. I didn't always duck hooks; some times I got the hell out of dodge, or did the ol arm against head block thingy. Then again, everyone can agree predictability is bad though, so I'm worthless in every way. Huzzah!

blotter art.

Posted On:
    2/11/2008 1:01pm

Style: San Shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've actually seen slipping taught so that it looked like a ridiculous tribal dance.

When I think about it, that actually sums up how I learn it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/14/2008 12:37pm

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was always taught to slip and weave at the knees first, hands pretty much where you keep them when your in guard. I do tend to 'tighten up' when I weave though, so if my right hand is planted firmly on my cheek, elbow in, and my left is a little farther out from my body, I usually end up bringing my left hand back to my chin for some reason.

Posted On:
    2/14/2008 3:36pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm no expert, but a lot of the MT fights I watched from Thailand on ESPN have a sort of "who's tougher" kind of vibe. I guess what I am trying to say is the focus is almost completely on offense, and there is a certain amount of pride, however misguided, in how much you can take. I don't mean every one of them, but there are similarities in Mexican boxing matches, where guys just get into "wars", without much defense. It would be interesting to have some Thai's weigh in on this, as I could be completely mistaken.

I do remember a guy in some old krotty magazine, a Thai fighter, that was known for side to side movement, was considered on orthodox, whereas most guys would just go forward, so, who knows?
    "Coffee is for Closers" GlenGarry Glenross

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/14/2008 7:25pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Soju - Joe
    Doesn't the Dutch style of Muay Thai have more boxing style movement in it thant the Thai style?
    I prefer the dutch flavour of muay thai. there are more combinations.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast