Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/29/2008 1:53pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The thing I'm noticing is that many fighters tend to bob and weave with their hands down or open. The way I've been taught is to slip punches with nonexaggerated movements, while keeping my hands tucked on my chin.

Any insight on this?

Thanks for the examples too guys. I forgot all about Barnett-Nog II and haven't seen the Hunt fight since before I got into kickboxing. I feel like I need to go study fight history more. Can anyone say MMA/K1 marathon?

edit: oh yeah, I was also taught to slip punches upright and to keep looking at the opponent. So it's not the "hunched over/face down" bobbing and weaving.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2008 2:13pm

Style: Muay Thai/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mac Danzig seems to be bobbing and weaving even when nothing's happening, but I don't seem to recall him actually slipping; what's up with that?

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    1/29/2008 3:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i can see how ducking could get you kneed, but side to side head movement should be ok, as long as you keep your hands up.

i was recently told (by a very good sanda coach) that fighting with a tight boxing guard (shoulders up) and slipping side to side would keep me from throwing effective kicks.

any thoughts on this?

TehDeadlyDimMak, how do you do slipping/guard at your gym?
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    1/29/2008 3:38pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    I saw it in an amateur fight. A guy from my gym was fighting muay thai rules with a guy who had only done kickboxing. The Kickboxer had crazy low boxing-style bobbing and weaving. My buddy kneed him right in the face by accident and almost lost the fight because it was amateur rules. (no knees to the head)
    If that happened to me I'd tell them "**** that, I want him DQ'd! He tried to headbut ME! In the knee even!"

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/29/2008 4:28pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Euro Kickboxing, ex-TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TehDeadlyDimMak
    I think Emevas pretty much covered it.

Come to think of it though, I've rarely (if ever) seen a fighter get caught by a knee while slipping a punch. Maybe it's just my memory? Can someone provide an example?

I saw that happen in a main event MT fight here in Athens a few months ago. The guy who received it looked like he was unaffected by it but it opened a huge cut above his eye. The doctor had to stop the fight in round 2 because of it.

Posted On:
    1/29/2008 5:42pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist
    TehDeadlyDimMak, how do you do slipping/guard at your gym?
    I'm unaware as to whether slipping side-to-side will decrease the effectiveness of one's kicks. Both of our head coaches encourage slipping punches with nonexaggerated movements and a tight boxing guard.

For instance, if someone was throwing a lead hand hook at me (assume we're both orthodox)
    I would start to move my head away from the punch (left) and then lower my head level to go under the punch, all while keeping my guard tight, torso relatively upright, and eyes on my opponent. In the end the slip should be a small circular motion. It's important not to bend at the waist and look at the floor, but instead slip the punch by lowering levels with my knees.

I hope that helps. How does everyone else do it?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/30/2008 1:03am

Style: Panda Punch

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nobody teaches people to exaggerate their head movement or fight with their hands down. It's just not easy to do everything perfect in a fight.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/30/2008 2:09am

Style: Poor mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Having hands up or not, the fact that you're lowering yourself makes it much more convenient for the opponent to get a useful hold, even for a split second, to throw a quick knee.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/30/2008 4:23am

Style: BJJ, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The guy that KTFO in that video turned his head away when he ducked. If he kept his head straight he could have wall blocked the kick counter. I don't duck myself, I'm too tall and slow to get away with it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/30/2008 9:27am

Style: MT, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkXacreD
    Mac Danzig seems to be bobbing and weaving even when nothing's happening, but I don't seem to recall him actually slipping; what's up with that?
    "Shucking and jiving" or moving your head around a lot when nothing is coming at isn't a bad idea if you're good at it because it has the effect of causing the other guy to hesitate or become gunshy because he doesn't know where your head is going to be next.

Nog didn't exactly slip properly when he took that kick from Herring that could've killed an elephant. (Why bother blocking when taking it on the chin will do just fine?) He dropped his hands and turned his face toward the kick. Later on in the fight it happens again, but he's got his hand up next to his face and he was fine.

It's also my understanding, as Soju - Joe (wasn't it Goju Joe?) brought up, that the Dutch kickboxers tend to work a lot more head movement. My theory has to do with the scoring system for MT in Thailand and how little punches are scored, whereas the Dutch had a more Western boxing influence in their scoring system which changed the way they trained. Not sure if there's any weight to that argument, but sounds good to me.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast