Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    2/01/2008 2:14am

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Domite
    I dunno about self defence, but I can knock people over with sidekicks when I'm sparring.
    TKD and Sanda sidekicks tend to look very different. I'm not sure on the specifics of TKD, but I know my coach hates it when our former TKDers start to revert to their roots.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    2/01/2008 6:32am

Style: Ninjutsu/Isshinryu/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dunno about self defence, but I can knock people over with sidekicks when I'm sparring.
    They work in real fights as well. As long as you don't telegraph......

Featherweight

Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    2/01/2008 8:14am

supporting member
     Style: Se-Jong TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gothamator
    They work in real fights as well. As long as you don't telegraph......
    Let me clarify, the last thing that I wish to imply is that anyone here should change what they're doing or are doing things wrong. I only wanted to add that there is yet another way to do a side kick (twist part-way during the chamber, then finish twisting during kick) but I didn't know how it worked in an alive situation.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/01/2008 1:18pm

Style: Chinese Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kanegs
    We just learned the side kick in class last night (my fifth lesson). We were told to pivot the foot three quarters of the way when chambering it, then finish the pivot while kicking.

As far as application were were told not to think about using it for self defense and that low kicks were more useful for selfdefense.
    Side thrust to the knee or the hip joint will work just fine for self defense.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/01/2008 1:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kanegs
    Let me clarify, the last thing that I wish to imply is that anyone here should change what they're doing or are doing things wrong. I only wanted to add that there is yet another way to do a side kick (twist part-way during the chamber, then finish twisting during kick) but I didn't know how it worked in an alive situation.
    We do the pivot similarly. Pivot halfway on the chamber and finish on the thrust. At full speed, it's one fluid movement.

solves problems with violence

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    2/01/2008 1:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    dude. you knock over normal humans with your JAB.

when we get this sanda league going i'm gonna have to go find a bigfoot or a samoan for you to fight, so it's fair. (i joke, i joke, we actually have a guy who would be a good match up for you right now.)
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

Posted On:
    2/02/2008 8:57pm

Style: Boxing/MMA (Ex. Shotokan)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am not really responding to anything recent, but o well.

Quote Originally Posted by jdinca
    The biggest thing I noticed is that he's already fully pivoted on the chamber. The "pop" on a side thrust kick comes from the pivot during the thrust. He's losing a lot of power doing it the way he's showing it in the video.
    Your mad, I am not saying fully pivoting is the fastest/accurate/least telegraphed/better way to sidekick, but it is stronger. Seriously just go honestly kick your bag, one rotating your hips/foot as you kick, the other pivoted to start and more of a stomp motion then anything. Tell me which one sends the bag further?

Again, I am not even saying it is the better, just more powerful.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/03/2008 12:28am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyFire
    I am not really responding to anything recent, but o well.

Your mad, I am not saying fully pivoting is the fastest/accurate/least telegraphed/better way to sidekick, but it is stronger. Seriously just go honestly kick your bag, one rotating your hips/foot as you kick, the other pivoted to start and more of a stomp motion then anything. Tell me which one sends the bag further?

Again, I am not even saying it is the better, just more powerful.
    I'm not seeing how it's more powerful and it seems a bit awkward to me. Then again, I go with what I know. Different strokes for different folks. Next time I'm kicking the heavy bag, I'll try it both ways.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

Posted On:
    2/05/2008 7:57pm

Style: Boxing/MMA (Ex. Shotokan)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jdinca
    I'm not seeing how it's more powerful and it seems a bit awkward to me. Then again, I go with what I know. Different strokes for different folks. Next time I'm kicking the heavy bag, I'll try it both ways.
    It could be possible different builds prefer different kicks. I am of the tall lanky build, and I know most of the other fighters built like me kick like me. When you try it out, think of it like your stomping that bag. I'm curious to your build and what you find.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

Posted On:
    2/23/2008 4:48pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by new2bjj
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az0rXBj6bt4

This is the guy I was thinking of.
    I'm so glad this thread has made it back to the front page. I've been looking for this vid and couldn't remember where I had seen it. FWIW this is the first time I've been able to watch the vid with sound so;

1. The music is gay. I mean like John Travolta, Tom Cruise Scientology gay. But it is typical of China background music.

2. The vid makes way more sense to me now that I have listened to it with sound.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast