Matt

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    11/07/2003 10:47am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    but I thought that SAN was 3 and shi was 4.
    I don't speak more than fresh-off-the-plane Japanese, but as far as I know you are correct. However, Korean has two number systems, the Sino derived and the native, and knowing that Japanese uses kanji to represent even their native words I just left it alone. Asia could speak to this better.
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    11/07/2003 3:27pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't read the MMA forum as much as the others so I missed this for awhile.

First:
    "Shi-Do-Kan," literally translated, means "The group that lives and trains in the way of the samurai warrior."
    http://shidokan.com/overviews.htm

Second, I LOVE it. I train in Atlanta with Richard Trammell who is the current Lt. weight World Champion. We've had a visit from Shonie and I got to roll with him. Working out with him regularly would be great! He is really cool and can explain his stuff in a way that you get it quick.

As far as the Grappling goes. Where I train it is pretty much Judo Ne Wazaa with a lot of stress on throws (they can be used in 2 of 3 rounds) In Chicago I bet you would get more Mat time because of Shonie. He knows some Catch wrestling tricks too which is really cool.

Shidokan is considered a living art so stuff gets added and different schools stress the different rounds more or less depending on the background of the Instructor. That being said Chicago Fitness Center is the Hanbo Dojo in the US so it is arguably the best place to train in this country (for Shidokan)

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    11/07/2003 3:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah fot the character "shi" to mean warrior it should be "Bushi" , but I get the idea.
    Shi without the "bu" means something like person, its the "bu" that makes it warrior since "bu" means "war".

Posted On:
    11/07/2003 3:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Submission Wrestling.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shidokan = muay thai + Kyokushin literally, Shonie Carter is awesome, he might even teach grappling too.

I'd almost kill to be able to train somewhere with unlimited training at $50 a month, especially at such a place. IF you really like MA/MMA you'd be crazy not to train there.
    Last edited by Blad3; 11/07/2003 3:44pm at .
    "Training = pain." - I said that.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.

Posted On:
    11/07/2003 4:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So Ronin69, you know more Japanese than Yoshiji Seono? LOL

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/10/2003 7:31am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well, here is the translation of shidokan.

Shi = in this case doesn't represent number. It is a description of person's calling (i.e. profession). Japanese use shi to describe job/profession which has higher calling.

samurai is bushi, bu = martial
    doctor is Ishi, i = medicine
    lawyer is bengoshi, bengo - advocate
    European knight is translated as kishi. ki = horse rider
    Shorinji Kenshi, ken = fist.

the list goes on.

Posted On:
    11/10/2003 10:17am

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The "shi" and "do" in "Shidokan" are actually the same two characters as the "shi" and "do" in "bushido". "Shi" means samurai, warriror, gentleman, man. "Do" means way.

"Shido" can be translated as chivalry, or the way of the warrrior, etc. "kan" literally means "hall" or "palace" but often denotes a shool, particularly in the martial arts.

Shidokan earned a real bad-ass reputation in the Japanese full contact world. The founder, whose name I have forgotten, became the stuff of urban legend. The police, it is said, wanted to bring him in for questioning and, even though he was alone and unarmed, they sent dozens of officers in riot gear.

I am surprized to hear that grappling is part of the system, which originally was an offshoot of Kyokushinkai.

If you want a straight-up, hard core, Japanese fighting style, Shidokan will not disappoint you.

Make sure you have health insurance.

Posted On:
    11/10/2003 10:56am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yoshiji Seono the "tiger of Kyokushin" is the Founder of Shidokan. He is alive and well and not in jail so I'm not sure about that police story. But hey if that makes you take Shidokan it's all true!!!

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/10/2003 2:18pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like Shidokan. A friend of mine competed in one of the tournaments. As for Shonie Carter, he's a great guy, one of my personal heros. Him and Brian Gassaway are some of the most underated fighters in NHB/MMA.

Their grappling is just grappling. The modern combination of Judo, Wrestling, Brazillian Jujitsu, Japanese Jujitsu, Shootwrestling, and SAMBO. Great stuff.

If you get a chance to train there do it.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12