Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/06/2003 5:22pm

Style: muay thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

what do you guys think of shidokan?

So today i stopped by a gym by my college and lo and behold Shonie Carter trains there!!! The style is called Shidokan. From what i can gather it seems to be a mix of muay thai, grappling (groundwork), and someone at the gym said karate. Since i train in Muay Thai now and i really want to learn grappling i think this may be a good idea. A definite plus is that the gym is only $50 a month, a hell of a lot cheaper than anything else here on the north side of chicago.

So i'm basically asking what you guys think/know about this style and shonie carter, and if you think this place may be worth it. The gym's site is www.chicagofitnesscenter.com
    Thanks in advance.

brian

p.s. does anyone know what the grappling in this system is like? what does it most closely resemble?

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/06/2003 5:41pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ask Shonie Carter why is he ducking my boy Omega?!

WTF?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/06/2003 10:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shidokan is a Kyukushin Ryu off shoot, I think, I could be really wrong. What I know comes from seeing their tournament in Chicago on TV a couple of times and a few web sites. If this link still works, its got some info.
    http://www.shidokan.com/

What the grappling most resembles I couldn't tell you, you'd have to ask some of the more knowledgable folks here abouts. Shonie Carter is supposed to be a pretty tough fighter, again, ask those more in the know. Don't ask Omega, poor guy is not loved by Shonie's agents apparently. Anthony, cut the poor man some slack, I get the feeling he isn't totally in control of who he fights anymore, like anyone else who's real big, its all about the money/fame after a while.

Kail

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    11/06/2003 11:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From Shidokan's grappling rulebook:

7. Illeagal Techniques: No biting / ear pulling / eye gouging / finger penitration into any and all orfices / fish hooking / hair pulling / licking / minor digit manipulations / one or two handed frontal chokes / skin twisting / spitting is not permitted. Any infraction of the aforementioned will result in an immediate PENALTY.
    Licking? Count me out, ladies.
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    11/06/2003 11:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shidokan is vastly inferior to Genghis Khan.
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/07/2003 12:05am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by The Wastrel
    Shidokan is vastly inferior to Genghis Khan.
    SHI = three
    DO = way
    KAN = group

the three being karate, grappling, kickboxing.

I think this might not be proper Japanese language, have to ask Noodles or Asia, but from what I've heard they have a good thing going. Ofcourse anything that's part kyokushinkaikan is bound to be good.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    11/07/2003 12:14am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pat,
    I read Hanja just fine. Remember?
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/07/2003 1:03am

Style: muay thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

shidokan

from what i understand this shidokan seems to be a mix of muay thai, kyokshin, and grappling. Since i train muay thai now i think my standup is pretty well taken care of, what i'm most interested in is furthering my stand-up skills while learning to grapple. So my biggest concern is what the grappling is like, do they throw in brazilian ju-jitsu, or does anyone here know what it would be like?

Don't mess with the Mega-Buster

Posted On:
    11/07/2003 2:39am

supporting member
     Style: A+B, D-Pad

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shidokan is aaaalllllright. I mean that in the best possible way. 2 rounds bare knuckle karate old school sugar style, 2 rounds muay thai with all the fixins, 2 rounds whatever the **** is left. I like it alot because I can get my quality stand-up fix before feeding my grappling fetish. Plus there are alwys some sweet throws and takedowns. Now as far as what they teach, I couldn't say, some fighters (not representing Shidokan per se) in the event have very little to no ground skill and if they do not over come their opponents with superior striking ability they are almost assuradely defeated in the fifth round -short order- with very fundamental techniques. I am assuming that they will teach you basic ground poisitons including the guard and along the lines of BJJ since it pretty much sets the standard. All in all I think it's a great event, and I KNOW Shonie Carter a fucking badass so IMHO your in good hands my friend...pass go collect 200 dollars.
    Secret moves such as hitting a thing with your hand and hitting a thing with your leg have been stolen and degenerated by arts like karate, boxing, muay-thai, Kung-fu, and basketball. -Epicurious

I for one welcome our new Ninja overlords.
    -Whiteshark

I figure fighting a group of chunners would be like water torture, its not the force as such, just the constant trickle of chain punches wearing down your sanity. -The Juggernoob

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    11/07/2003 7:47am

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As in all things Japanese, how the characters are written means as much if not more then the way the words are pronounced, so Shidokan, can mean various things, but I thought that SAN was 3 and shi was 4.
    Any style that teaches as many aspects of combat as it can is always at least, a good style.
    Try it out, if you like it great, if not, no harm done.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast