Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2008 6:51pm

Style: BJJ, JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    when i did *shaolin kenpo karate* my instructor was out of shape and had a lisp, unfortunately i didnt think there could *possibly* be a place that would teach faulty BS martial arts, i think most people who walked into his dojo could probably hand his ass to him

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2008 10:05pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 7thSamurai
    Oddly enough, it was the owner how introduced me to the muay thai instructor, gave me a key to the school to train in the morning, and encouraged me to share what I learned with the other students. It was after this episode that I was "asked" to leave, which was more like the two of them exchanging a series of emails about the matter then forwarding their entire discussion to everyone on the email list. He was of the opinion that only what he taught should be used in class and that a lower ranking belt should not ask to spar with a BB. I thought differently, so I was asked to leave.

I'm better off for it, anyways. Even though I feel like a dumbass who couldn't fight my way out of a paper bag at my new school, I feel like I'm learning a more effective and more technical format.
    That's insane, I try to avoid generalizing martial arts but the TKD school I ever went to look at had a strictly no other style policy, now the karate instructor doesn't want me to train in any other karate styles but is alright with other striking like Kickboxing or Muay Thai, infact there is a Kick Boxing class there as well that I went to a few times, and BJJ instructor wont allow training at another BJJ club because, well all the clubs compete against eachother but is fine with any other style and doing Judo or sambo or wrestling, but this TKD guy was really strict on not doing any other style, why? Are all TKD schools so stric about it?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2008 11:28pm

Style: BJJ, Striking, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's a long story with this school. The instructor split from her family's school to allow herself more flexibility in training. She wanted to encourage her students to explore and incorporate effective techniques within her program. Apparently, she reorganized herself, opened a new school and started taking in new students. I can't say much about the TKD. I've visited a great number of martial arts on the south side of Austin and I'm of the opinion that the "aliveness" in training, particularly in sparring, was better than just about all the karate/tkd type schools I've visited in my time in Austin. Admittedly, I joined the school just a couple of years after her split with her brother, so she seemed gung ho about her and her students training.

After some of the mid-level students picked up rank, she was less of a presence in training. I started training in 1994. I joined this school in 2002. I moved a lot because of the military and for school, so I was never really in one location for more than a few years. At one point, I had a guy that started his martial arts career a month before I joined the dojang as my instructor. There were hard feelings between the two of us because I had eight years of training in different styles compared to his three months of TKD. I respected his rank, but he didn't respect my background. I think that was a problem with the other BB as well.

In the final few weeks before I left, she was present more, but took less of a role as an instructor and more as an enforcer of strict dojang ettiquette.

I would normally have nothing but good things to say about her or her school. She's very active in teaching under-priviledged kids in the community. I got to work with some after school programs teaching at local elementary schools. Overall, I thought highly of everything that went on. When money was tight, she went way out of her way to keep me in class. I traded my time for payment. I'd teach if needed or perform whatever manual labor that needed to be done. I thought very highly of her for her desire to improve the community and help those in need. About the time that all this went down, I started to see those magazines that TKD schools get to increase their selling ability. She started increasing advertising, increasing fees, and adding small expenses for patches and stuff. She joined IMAC and required all her BB's to follow suit. I'm glad I got out when I did.

As far as for why TKD stylists are so against outside training, I'll never know why.
    Someone commented a while back that I should stfu since I joined so long ago but never posted. The reason I joined was because I was looking to learn more about different styles and get some info about what was happening in other schools. I rethought my opinion on training and started asking questions. I've been banned from more TKD forums and discussions for questioning training principles than I care to list. By coming here, I've gotten a little better insight as to what an instructor should be doing and how a school should be run.

I'll go back to reading and training now.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2008 4:29pm

Style: boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A good teacher must have the patience and skill to impart techniques on to his/her students.

Being able to kick your ass is secondary

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    2/07/2008 4:10am

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Small Cv about Jean-Marie Dedecker as an example:
    he was judocoach of the Belgium Team from 1981 until 2000. His best accomplisment was silver at the worldchampionships Judo in Québec in 1981.
    But he could teach and train people like no one before, some of his students were:

- Ulla Werbrouckx :
    Gold at the olympic games Atlanta 1996
    7 times european champion
    2 times silver on world championships
    Gold on the world championships for juniors

-Gella Vandecaveye :
    Silver at the olympic games (1996)
    Bronze at the olympic games (2000)
    Worldchampionships: 2 times gold (1993 & 2001)
    2 times silver (1997 & 1999)
    Bronze (1995)
    European championships: 7 times gold (1994,1996 - 2001)
    2 times silver (1993 & 2003)
    2 times bronze (1995 & 2002)
    Belgium championships: 22 times gold

-Heidi Rakels :
    Belgium Championships : 11 times gold
    3 times silver
    1 time bronze
    European championships : 1 time bronze
    1 time silver
    universitairy world chapionships : 1 time gold
    1 time silver
    Bronze at the olympic games at Barcelona

and 5 other judokas would be his team , they won a totally of 130 medailles with 4 official olympic medailles and one unofficially olympic gold medaille ( that was when judo was the demostration sport at the games).

He wasn't a great judoka but one of the best judo teachers. After he quited, the Belgium Team wouldn't play a significant part anymore in the international Judo scene.
    So that proofs that there is a big difference between a great fighter and a great teacher in the MA scene.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345