Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/24/2008 4:50pm

Style: BJJ and MT at the moment

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Good instructor means Strong instructor?

I will travel to another country in 5 or 6 months and will stay there for a long time.

I will need to look for good gyms but there is a question which bugs my head that can be discussed.

Because I am a dojo based person (Shotokan Karate) we were always taught that our instructor was the strongest guy in dojo.

No one can beat the dojomaster.He can own everyones ass.(Actually that was questionable in my dojo but we had to "act" that way)

And in most of traditional MA dojos it's always this way(the ones I saw at last, I may be wrong)."The instructor is strongest"

Even if in the dojo he "is" the strongest guy , does that mean that he is the greatest instructor?

If someone wants to choose a new gym does he need to control how much medals or cups the instructor has?

How could we understand an instructor is good or not?And does being strong/skillful means that he is a good instructor?

Share with me your ideas and experiences please.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/24/2008 5:02pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thats a load of rubbish, the instructors job IMO is to teach students so that they can become ultimately better than him, pass on their knowledge onto other students who become better than him and so forth so forth. If we restrict our knowledge how can we pass it on without everything becoming watered down rubbish.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/24/2008 5:04pm

Style: Proudly Shaolin Do.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with above. A teachers goal isn't so you can be as good as hem, but better. Anyone who views their instructor as some almighty figure will end up with some serious issues (and maybe a thread in trollshido)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/24/2008 5:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And with that what I wonder is(actually this is the real issue for me), an instructor for example that I am sure that isn't too strong (with a big belly , low fitness,well add some disadvantages) and have no medals, can be a good instructor?

Can't fight means can't teach fighting?

Or should we jump in gyms , our eyes closed, if the instructor is a real badass who has lots of medals,cups,championships and with a great physique etc.
    Couldn't it be that he is only talented, and can't teach anything?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/24/2008 5:10pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    my instructor has a belly isnt as fit as some people, but he has been 1st dan for 6 years and recently 2nd dan, he is the best instructor i could ever ask for and wants us to become better than him or he would feel that he has failed in teaching us.

youth is the future, the same as our newer members training with us are the future of our arts.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/24/2008 5:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh my this made me remember Abbate.

It was "directly" about this topic I think.

An instructor that kicks students whilst making push ups.Well that must be a bad instructing I think.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/24/2008 5:49pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let's make sure we separate a few things.

In boxing most coaches fought. They may not have been as good as their best students still, most coaches were in the ring getting experience.

BJJ and MMA the same thing. They may not be top tier fighters but, they did gain experience.

The problem with Dojos is what constitutes good?

my instructor has a belly isnt as fit as some people, but he has been 1st dan for 6 years and recently 2nd dan, he is the best instructor i could ever ask for and wants us to become better than him or he would feel that he has failed in teaching us.
    This IMO really means nothing. Did he compete, has he fought, is it Kata based, six years for what reason?

This is why people say competition is a good thing. It is a tangible thing you can look at and compare. Time in rank really doesn't translate in anyway to skill in most tradition based gyms.

I've Known Masters that sucked. I've known people with half their time with much better skill.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    1/24/2008 5:54pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you have any inkling that you can or should "kick you instructor's ass" you need to just leave the school.

Guess which finger is the fickle one...

Posted On:
    1/24/2008 7:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Karate/ Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The instructors current ability is less important than the quality of the students he produces.

An instructor with a great fight record, but no ability, or patience, to teach or transfer his skills is of very little benefit to his students.

An instructor who has produced skilled fighters, regardless of his personal achievments, is of far more benefit to someone who is trying to learn.

Big strong agressive pricks > Small skilled older teachers

It's not fair, but it is reality.
    If you can't laugh at yourself,
    Others will be happy to do it for you. :evil6:

The 2 most abundant elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    1/24/2008 7:53pm

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvarks
    If you have any inkling that you can or should "kick you instructor's ass" you need to just leave the school.
    So old guys should stop teaching? I had an instructor in his late 50's and as he went into his 60s I had no doubt if we fought full out I would kick his ass.

Should I have left that school?

No. That would have been stupid and immature on my part, I learned a great deal from him. Only stopped training with him when I moved, not him.
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast