Page 3 of 3 First 123
  1. #21

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Israel, TA area
    Posts
    262
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know if its the style, but people who lived back then seemed to eat rocks and **** nails. Tough as fucking tough comes!

  2. #22

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    lincolnshire, england
    Posts
    693
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    great link, many thanks.

    if i can get my wife to shut up for long enough, will study in more depth

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    South Wales
    Posts
    26
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for this link! I'm really enjoying reading it. I'm also interested in Western fighting styles and old-school boxing

  4. #24

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    964
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gavD
    Thanks for this link! I'm really enjoying reading it.
    Quite welcome.


    I'm also interested in Western fighting styles and old-school boxing
    How interested? There are any number of WMA schools, clubs, salles, and Scholes of Fence out there and more opening every day. If you're interested enough, there may be something near you.

  5. #25

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    South Wales
    Posts
    26
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lklawson
    Quite welcome.


    How interested? There are any number of WMA schools, clubs, salles, and Scholes of Fence out there and more opening every day. If you're interested enough, there may be something near you.
    Mostly a passing interest at present; I train grappling/boxing/Thai boxing at the moment. Many things that compose modern MMA seem to have been used in European systems (such as greco-roman wrestling and western boxing). I appreciate anything that shows that western systems are no less valid than eastern ones - I think that systems from all around the world have much to offer.

    For example, some of the things the Renaissance Martial Arts guys talk about are interesting to me - http://www.thearma.org/ . After all, many martial arts/fighting systems seem to have originated from the military.

    Perhaps one day I'll study some of these systems, like I say there's much to be learned from many arts, but for now I'm enjoying my thai boxing and grappling! :)

  6. #26

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    372
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Robert Fitzimmons- Australian Born?

    Do you mean Bob Fitzsimmons the Cornish (english) Former Heavyweight Champion or am I talking about an entirely different person?

  7. #27

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    964
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gavD
    Perhaps one day I'll study some of these systems, like I say there's much to be learned from many arts, but for now I'm enjoying my thai boxing and grappling! :)
    No reason you shouldn't. :-)

  8. #28

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    964
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear1980
    Robert Fitzimmons- Australian Born?

    Do you mean Bob Fitzsimmons the Cornish (english) Former Heavyweight Champion or am I talking about an entirely different person?
    Far as I can tell, it's the same fella. There seems to be conflicting information concerning many of these historic figures.

    In the autobiographical portion of his book, he states that he was born in Cornwall but competed as an amateur in New Zeland and Australia.

Page 3 of 3 First 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO