Sponsored Links Spacer Image

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    1/23/2008 3:29pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you actually crappling? Crappling means you are trying to learn grappling from books and backyard wrasslers. This leads to gotardedness and poor positional understanding.

If you are actually training regularly in a real BJJ school then you aren't crappling you are just in a rut. Tell us the truth now; are you occasionally "rolling" with Blue belts in your dorm room shower and calling it training?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2008 3:43pm

Style: Grappling & Lifting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    Are you actually crappling? Crappling means you are trying to learn grappling from books and backyard wrasslers. This leads to gotardedness and poor positional understanding.

If you are actually training regularly in a real BJJ school then you aren't crappling you are just in a rut. Tell us the truth now; are you occasionally "rolling" with Blue belts in your dorm room shower and calling it training?
    *Gasp* How did you know?

I use books and watch as much grappling as possible as a supplement to actual training (which is about two and a half hours a night three to five times a week). 'Rut' would be a better term, indeed.

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    1/23/2008 3:54pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The second part of that "Dealing with Slumps and Ruts in Grappling" article is out on GrapplersGuide, but I don't have a premium membership so I can't access it.

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    1/23/2008 3:56pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, Yojimbo, if you haven't already, start a training log, this helps you to not only review moves you've learned, but just writing them down gives you a chance to learn to analyze techniques for the little details. It will help when instructor is showing a technique, you'll find yourself looking for more and more details during the demo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2008 4:05pm

Style: MT\KM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Currently in a plateau myself right now, though in a striking art. Nothing more demoralizing than getting your ass handed to you by people who are younger and lighter.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2008 4:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Striking has been going pretty well for me, aside from dealing with the occassional terrible partner - the first three months of Muay Thai weren't so great since the focus at my school starts with hands (1-4 and different combos on top of blocking other peoples' punching) and I had a good chunk of boxing experience beforehand, so it was really back to the same old grind while I got my shins trained up again.

Houston Alexander them (KO other strikers via bum rush but fall to pieces once you get mounted)!

What striking? Muay Thai and Krav Maga I take it?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2008 4:27pm

Style: MT\KM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Muay Thai is where we spar almost exclusively, so that's where the plateau is. I've had such a long plateau, 2 months at least. Makes me wanna quit, especially after only 2 years and seemingly I'll never get good... Grappling seems easier from what I've seen, maybe mentally. But I've never done it...

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    1/23/2008 4:28pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd recommend reading and watching less technique videos. It is good to take a break from them sometimes. I occasionally overload on that stuff and end up feeling like, "I can't believe how much I don't know!" Just back off on the new techniques and super spider ninja guard and nail your basics. Then come back to the books and videos in a couple months it will sudden make a lot more sense.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2008 4:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks WhiteShark.

As for striking being harder than grappling - not really.

I mean, I could say we're talking about apples and oranges, but that simply isn't true. Getting hit over and over again sucks, but so does being dominated via positiong and getting arm barred or choked.

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    1/23/2008 11:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Drilling. Lots of it.

And not just the same generic, static "50 armbars, 50 triangles" drills. Drill everything. Drill with varying degrees of resistence, with different goals catering specifically to your personal needs. Drill techniques. Drill positions. Drill transitions. Drill fine movements you're having trouble with. Drill breaking posture. Drill isolating your opponent's far arm from atop side control. Invent drills. I promise if you enter drilling with an open mind and a willingness to become extremely analytical about your training, you will get better.
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast