Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2008 2:58pm

Style: Grappling & Lifting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

It's been a crapple month

I've been in Martial Arts since I can remember, primarily striking, but MA none the less. A few years ago I took a break (crappy relationship-type break) and got back into MMA about six to eight months ago. ANYWAY, grappling was new to me, but I took to it pretty quickly, I've always been no gi in BJJ and Submission Grappling and it's worked for me, until recently.

Usually I don't have much trouble holding my own against a blue belt (though submitting one is incredibly rare, I can 'win' on points), but lately I've been crappling, bad. As in, semi-experienced guys have become hard to submit and though I can still avoid being submitted, I don't feel like I'm progressing anymore. I ask for pointers whenever I roll with more experienced people, but I can't seem to lock in armbars, maintain position (like mount), lock in triangles, etc. It's like I'm from the friggen Lion's Den (ankle locks FTW!) except without progression.

Now then, how am I to improve outside of continuing going to class?

I'm good at memorizing new moves and performing them on a semi-resisting opponent and I am very observant when it comes to watching excellent grapplers do their thing, but it's acting that's killing me. What the hell am I missing?

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    1/23/2008 3:00pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go to class, suck it up and be patient.

Also, there are numerous threads with motherfuckers crying because they can't progress in BJJ.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2008 3:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's irritating, but instead of bitching, I want to know if there's anything I can do, actively, to get better. I'm not quitting, I'm still going 4-5 times a week but GAH.

Look, if I don't get better at this, how am I supposed to kill a bear with my bare hands? Hmm? Exactly. I won't. I'll get killed - and then who'll look stupid/have to pay the funeral bills? Family. Oh wait, that's awesome.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    1/23/2008 3:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are these the same blue belts as before? If so the answer is easy, they're not going as easy on you, 'cause you ain't a newb any more.

Don't be disheartened, it's actually a sign that you're getting better.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2008 3:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tend to roll with three blues consistently, but there are another three that I roll with every once in a while.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    1/23/2008 3:16pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everyone hits plateau's in their training. You progress a lot, then all of a sudden you can't tap anyone it seems. It's a regular part of training. Just be patient and keep working. I hit a plateau like that about 3-4 months ago and I'm just now starting to get past it. It sucks, but it's the nature of the game.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/23/2008 3:16pm

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just go beat up some ninjas. That tends to make people feel better about themselves.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2008 3:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can I beat up some Dim Mak masters too?

OR BOTH!

Ashida Kim, here I come!

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/23/2008 3:20pm

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't give a **** what you do, just stop being a whining *****.

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    1/23/2008 3:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo1717
    I've been in Martial Arts since I can remember, primarily striking, but MA none the less. A few years ago I took a break (crappy relationship-type break) and got back into MMA about six to eight months ago. ANYWAY, grappling was new to me, but I took to it pretty quickly, I've always been no gi in BJJ and Submission Grappling and it's worked for me, until recently.

Usually I don't have much trouble holding my own against a blue belt (though submitting one is incredibly rare, I can 'win' on points), but lately I've been crappling, bad. As in, semi-experienced guys have become hard to submit and though I can still avoid being submitted, I don't feel like I'm progressing anymore. I ask for pointers whenever I roll with more experienced people, but I can't seem to lock in armbars, maintain position (like mount), lock in triangles, etc. It's like I'm from the friggen Lion's Den (ankle locks FTW!) except without progression.

Now then, how am I to improve outside of continuing going to class?

I'm good at memorizing new moves and performing them on a semi-resisting opponent and I am very observant when it comes to watching excellent grapplers do their thing, but it's acting that's killing me. What the hell am I missing?
    http://bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=63644
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast