very nice, I approve!
    "a martial art that has no rules is nothing but violence" - Kenji Tomiki

Posted On:
    1/27/2008 4:50pm

Style: Much striking, SAMBO, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DHNK
    Wait, what's the Gracie Gift? Again, good read.
    It's a one arm in one arm out guard pass... used mostly in gi grappling... and it also leads to many getting triangled. If done right it works, but many prefer to not take the chance and go on to use something else.

Hoo Ha!

Posted On:
    1/27/2008 5:31pm

supporting member
     Style: San Da, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This really is well written. Hopefully by lavishing attention on you this will motivate runningdog to further his diary. Thus insuring a battle of lulz.

King of the Impossible

Posted On:
    1/27/2008 5:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Grapplomancer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The "Gracie Gift" is a guard pass in which, after breaking their guard open, you slide one arm under one of their legs, and hike that leg up onto your shoulder. You then stack, pushing that leg on your shoulder to their opposite side shoulder, let the leg slip, and fall into a sidemount.

The problem with this is that you practically put yourself in a triangle choke; all it takes is for them to cross their legs.

Edit: Damn! Someone beat me to it. I should refresh my page more often.

Also, feel free to praise me. Even if it's to make someone else jealous. In fact, do it just for fun, or make it part of your morning routine. Brush your teeth, take a shower, praise me.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/27/2008 8:48pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBadGuy
    The "Gracie Gift" is a guard pass in which, after breaking their guard open, you slide one arm under one of their legs, and hike that leg up onto your shoulder. You then stack, pushing that leg on your shoulder to their opposite side shoulder, let the leg slip, and fall into a sidemount.

The problem with this is that you practically put yourself in a triangle choke; all it takes is for them to cross their legs.

Edit: Damn! Someone beat me to it. I should refresh my page more often.

Also, feel free to praise me. Even if it's to make someone else jealous. In fact, do it just for fun, or make it part of your morning routine. Brush your teeth, take a shower, praise me.
    Actually, it is not a bad guard pass if you are a strong guy and outweigh your opponent, BUT YOU HAVE TO MAKE SURE THAT YOUR OPPOSITE ARM/FOREARM KEEPS THEIR OTHER LEG GROUNDED, otherwise triangle or armbar if you are fighting it. That said I use it in Judo, wasn't even aware it is "Gracies gift".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2008 8:52pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    awesome read, i'm most excited for the crappy bjj. keep up the good work my man

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2008 10:24pm

Style: Seidokaikan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow. That brings back my crappling days. I went to a seminar in TN done by Renzo Gracie that probably spent an hour teaching the Gracie Gift. It was my go-to guard pass for a long time til I went to a Sambo seminar by Tony Lopez that advocated the "just reach back and hook an ankle and try to touch the guy's forehead with it" guard pass.

King of the Impossible

Posted On:
    1/28/2008 12:17am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey guys, I couldn't manage to squirrel away any free time today; a friend of mine needed help moving. Bastard.

Expect delicious McDojo BJJ goodness tomorrow!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2008 1:10am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey MrBadGuy, I'm enjoying your story, but I'm having trouble visualising the 'U'. Do you have a picture of someone doing it?

King of the Impossible

Posted On:
    1/28/2008 9:15am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm, that is actually fairly hard to find. I googled around for a bit, but all I found were pictures of guys with swords, and for some reason, naked people. If you think I'm joking, type into google image search, with safe search off, kuk sool won stances.

http://kuksoolwon.wikia.com/wiki/Kon.../Attack_Stance

That is the wiki entry for the actual stance itself; let me give explaining it another go.

Your feet are your basic kung fu bow and arrow stance, or whatever you want to call it. For the sake of this explanation, left foot forward.

Now, start off with your hands limp and dangling at your sides. Lift them slowly up to about solar plexus level and stop. Now, push your left arm forward, and pull your right arm back untill your right hand is even with your left elbow. You are now protecting U'rself.
Page 6 of 87 FirstFirst ... 23456 789101656 ... LastLast