Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/22/2008 2:21pm

Style: MT, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I wanted to edit my post too because Lebell already mentioned stepping in behind your jab as a solution, and I didn't see it. But yes, I wholeheartedly support the idea of springing into your jab.

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    1/22/2008 2:23pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    nobody ever reads my golden advice, im more then just the towns idiot you know... :-(

blotter art.

Posted On:
    1/22/2008 7:34pm

Style: San Shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lift some weights.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/22/2008 10:24pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Sweet science eight limbs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the help guys!:icon_salu

i do know of the stepping in jab, but for wadever funny reason i'm not using it much....errrrrm. could work more on it. 2nd question....if say, i'm doing a double jab how does the "stepping in" come in for the 2nd jab?

Quote Originally Posted by Hui_Xiu
    I hear what you're saying, Lebell, but I think it is an important skill to have a strong jab. Its not neccesary, but I would think that is what plakat's coach is trying to teach. You don't want an opponent to just walk through your jabs.
    thats rite, a jab is meant to be annoying, and its most annoying when it has power in it. btw i did consult my coach, he told me it'll come with time, not the solution i'm looking for. prefer the "you could work ur ass of on blah blah blah"

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    1/23/2008 7:22am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by plakat
    A)Thanks for the help guys!:icon_salu

B)i do know of the stepping in jab, but for wadever funny reason i'm not using it much....errrrrm. could work more on it. 2nd question....if say, i'm doing a double jab how does the "stepping in" come in for the 2nd jab?

C)thats rite, a jab is meant to be annoying, and its most annoying when it has power in it. btw i did consult my coach, he told me it'll come with time, not the solution i'm looking for. prefer the "you could work ur ass of on blah blah blah"
    A) you're welcome, thats why we are here

B)if you do something double usually you also do te footwork double.So if you shuffle in/step in with the jab, and you want to make two jabs you do everything twice!
    yes its that simple.

C)a jab doesnt need to have power, well not always, i rarely throw a powerfull jab, that glove is blocking his view right?
    1 out of 5 jabs i throw is powerfull, first couple nice and easy so they sorta not worry about my soft jab..then...hello!
    The biggest mistake beginners make is that they think you have to throw every punch full on, way to exhaust yourself.
    From what i can tell your coach has teh korrekt: it will come with time so just be patient and train more, no short cuts or secret hints with these kinda skills.

sorry.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2008 3:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As for putting power into a jab, I believe that a powerful jab is effective and also slightly intimidating. If I get hit with a powerful jab, I start thinking "Holy crap, if that was his jab, I don't want to know what his cross feels like." And, as Georges was saying, power comes from your back leg.

Quote Originally Posted by plakat
    i do know of the stepping in jab, but for wadever funny reason i'm not using it much....errrrrm. could work more on it. 2nd question....if say, i'm doing a double jab how does the "stepping in" come in for the 2nd jab?
    In the case of a double jab, stepping in twice does work. But what I prefer, rather than getting really close to the guy, is taking an angle while doing this. So rather than stepping straight at the guy, circle to your left (assuming you're right handed, if you're southpaw, go the other way) whilst throwing your double-jab. One step per jab should do the trick.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2008 3:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, the more explosive you are while stepping into your jab, the more powerful it is going to be, because the force of you stepping forward adds to the force or your arm extending for the punch.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/23/2008 8:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The best advice has already been given..I will just say this - although having a powerful jab is not absolutely neccessary, having a effective one pretty much is. Some fighters never fully develop it and think it isn't all that important, especially a lot of shorter heavyweights. But it can be an invaluable tool if you can jab your opponent hard enough make him pause in his tracks. A hard jab right on the end of the nose sends makes him wonder what he's in store for if he comes in on you.
    Many boxers who fought Lennox Lewis commented on the strength of his jab, and his height gave him better leverage to boot.people were downright afraid to try and work their way inside. Watch his fight with David Tua ( who was at a HUGE height disadvantage). I don't know how tall you are,but a taller boxer often has greater leverage and the jab can be his best punch.
    Not trying to brag, but I actually made people quit sparring with me on a couple of occasions with my jab...develop it! It is a great weapon to have.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/23/2008 8:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    not being able to edit posts is really annoying..:dontknow: I hope this gets fixed soon because I am a grammar and spelling nazi.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Posted On:
    1/23/2008 9:01pm

Style: chinese boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jabbing with your left, push off with your right leg. Like if you were pushing a wall while standing on your right. Thats one way. Just concentrate on 'explosive' power.

Also, for fun, try an uppercut jab.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast