Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    1/22/2008 3:00am

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find it amusing that you had lulled yourself into believing that most martial artists are almost reasonable. I know that posting primarily on bullshido will kind of do that to you but seriously, go on the myspace forums sometime and people will try and tell you why pointsparring is the best way to do things and that YES you really can learn to project chi.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/22/2008 3:01am

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's strange how the spirirt of BJJ is truly what martial arts is about, the weaker smaller opponent defeating the larger one by outsmarting him and doing it with restricted or minimal harm to the opponent yet BJJ seems to get the reputation of a bloody and agressive martial art, while people who train in "holistic" arts like Aikido and JJ often talk about killing people and riping off and breaking their limbs in a fight

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    1/22/2008 3:27am

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity
    I find it amusing that you had lulled yourself into believing that most martial artists are almost reasonable. I know that posting primarily on bullshido will kind of do that to you but seriously, go on the myspace forums sometime and people will try and tell you why pointsparring is the best way to do things and that YES you really can learn to project chi.
    Ugh...yeah, well my circle of martial arts discussion is mostly people who train in like-minded fashion, or people who don't train but love to watch MMA so they at least have a grasp of what a fight actually looks like.

The "I can't fight you unless I can rip your throat out" mentality is something I haven't been exposed to in person in quite some time, and it hit me like a sack of bricks. I'm just standing there like...."is this guy trolling me? Wait...no....this isn't the internet."
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    1/22/2008 4:24am

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KempoFist
    I hate fucking you
    Is it the Heidegger chaps?
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    1/22/2008 4:29am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Partezan
    yet BJJ seems to get the reputation of a bloody and agressive martial art
    It's because certain people used to encourage their students to troll Rio for people to beat up.

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    1/22/2008 5:20am

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boyd's approach is the correct one.
    I employed it when my young nephew showed me the knife defence technique he'd learned at karate.
    It was the perfect counter to the Anthony Perkins EE EE EE EE Psycho downward stab/slash: the X block. The X block transitioned (straight outta kata) to a wrist control (where you slide the blade between your own wrists) and then you over-balance your opponent by pulling the knife towards your own midsection. Stabby stabby.

After my nephew told me this, I explained to him that if that ever really happened, he should forget about silly moves and just run.

I also told him that if he tried that move, he'd get injured, and when/if he recovered from the cut wrists and abdominal injuries, I'd kick his arse for good measure.

Tough love.

He's quit karate and is now doing gymnastics, which I feel will be equally effective as his kata-based self defence.

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    1/22/2008 8:08am

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyd
    So today in Muay Thai I'm holding pads for a Aikido/Karateka. I could finish the story right there, frankly, but I won't. What's relevant is that at one point he remarked how karate was "a good art for learning stances and footwork", and that Muay Thai was like "jumping straight into the advanced stuff". I flat-out told him those two statements were so fucking stupid I didn't have time to explain to him everything wrong with it.

Why can't anyone else do this?

Because not everyone is a fucking asshole?

The fact that someone else is less experienced than you are does not justify your treating them like ****.

Posted On:
    1/22/2008 8:10am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyd
    So today in Muay Thai I'm holding pads for a Aikido/Karateka. I could finish the story right there, frankly, but I won't. What's relevant is that at one point he remarked how karate was "a good art for learning stances and footwork", and that Muay Thai was like "jumping straight into the advanced stuff". I flat-out told him those two statements were so fucking stupid I didn't have time to explain to him everything wrong with it.

Why can't anyone else do this?
    Karate IS good for stances and footwork, provided you intend to use them to look like a toolbox.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/22/2008 8:54am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I prefer to show people why they are wrong. It is not often i get the chance to but here is an example:

At judo a few months ago (when I wasn't all f-ed up), we had some younger guys come in maybe 15 or 16., very athletic. Well I got paired with one of them to work some newaza. While I was showing him basic mount and guard escapes (more like showing conceptual fundamentals), one of the kids just had the look on his face. You know this look. It is like "That would never work on me, I could just do X,Y, and Z". I first told him that this is very basic but solid technique and that we could work it with full resistance. So this is what we did. I got in his guard. I told him to hold me down and protect himself. I did he most basic guard pass you could do. Good posture, get knee up, put knee over, etc. After he realized he couldn't stop me he was alot more eager to learn.

Some people are not stupid they are just ignorant. The hard part is telling the difference and acting accordingly. I don't even bother with stupid people anymore.
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/22/2008 9:02am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sochin101
    He's quit karate and is now doing gymnastics, which I feel will be equally effective as his kata-based self defence.
    Maybe ever more.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast