Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    none right now
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Combat Krav Maga vs Krav Maga

http://www.umafitness.com/
    This place offers combat krav maga.

there is another place that offers Krav Maga.
    http://www.kravmagaohio.com/

Is there really a difference in the styles and the training.

I am thinking of taking this. just which one.......
    i plan on checking both places out.
    any input would be great
    thanks

Style
    Judo, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It looks like they're both about the same. Although the second site says you can take classes with Bas Rutten and Oleg Taktarov. I'd go check them both out and see which one you like better if you're set on Krav Maga.

Style
    MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This doesn't seem like the right forum for this, but since it is in here...
    "Commando Krav Maga, aka CKM, is considered by many experts to be the most devastating fighting system in the world."
    Yea, it's unique in that respect. No other art is considered by its own experts to be the most devastating fighting system in the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTqUgOJiKlc

I think Krav Maga is more devastating to its own practitioners.

Style
    MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm, post editing doesn't seem to work ATM and since this was moved to newbietown I wanna remove my troll. Any admins mind doing that for me?

Style
    none right now
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sweet vid
    dude got owned
    I'm 41, not looking to step in a ring......
    looking to get back in shape with learning/training for a self-defense/ground/grappling technique.
    the only fighting I plan on doing is either sparring or in real situations without ropes or a ref, and it is last resort.
    I'm 6'2'' 245lbs, ex athlete wanting to recondition my body while doing it at "something".
    i do not think I have the time or patience right now for something "traditional" with a wife, kid, parents and business to attend to. The thing is training takes place in the mornings which is perfect for me. I can use thsi for a base for a few years and then maybe look into something traditonal....

i'm not looking to be billy bad ass.. train learn a little and be able to teach my daughter eventually.......

Style
    none right now
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess i should have been more clear with an introduction? Heh...
    well, I think the last post explains more of what I am looking for. The combo of condition with a real defense system, without going into a "traditional " route in that pretest..
    I took a couple years of judo as a grade schooler, played hockey and div 1 football. Bounced bars and tumbled a little in the streets, so I do not think mentally or physically, I am a total newbie. Itangled with div 1 wrestlers while attending Purdue. for fun and for real......

So, I am wondering if there is a main difference in the two systems.................
    I have not checked which each costs yet, but both fit into my schedule with daytime training.
    Thanks and gald to be here...

Style
    Krav Maga (4), BJJ white
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally, I'd stay away from CKM. It's the "brand" taught by Moni Aizik (the guy who taught the gun defense on Human Weapon). If you have $3-5k, 3 years of martial arts experience of any kind, and a free weekend, you too can become a CKM instructor. Maybe they have Krav Maga backgrounds, maybe not. I don't know if there is any difference between CKM and "regular" KM, and since I'm not willing to pay $5k, I'll never know. (check out the FAQ at http://www.commandokravmaga.com/html/intensive_faq.html )

The other place goes through Levine and Los Angeles. The LA group is cleaning up a lot of their bad places and kicking out the ATA, but quality still varies based on where you go. You should use Bullshido's Choosing a Martial Arts school guide (I can't find the link at the moment, maybe for an edit later), but the fact that the "contact us" email address starts with "tkdboy4d" doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Style
    Krav Maga
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As I keep advising people living in the U.S., the Darren Levine-founded Krav Maga Association of America (KMAA) and Krav Maga Worldwide Enterprises (KMWW) does not represent real Krav Maga.

KMAA/KMWW's founder:
    - misrepresents his training and the system he teaches in general
    - does not, nor has he ever, trained or instructed with the Israeli Defence Force (IDF)
    - has introduced a laughable 'dan' ranking system to his version of Krav Maga. Nobody's quite sure how the system works, but apparently Levine holds the rank of '10th dan' (fun fact, Krav Maga apparently has more 10 dans than any other martial art system)(IKMF/IDF do not use a belt system)
    - tried to trademark the term 'Krav Maga' and has attempted to sue Eyal Yanilov (the current head of the International Krav Maga Federation (IKMF), Levine's former instructor and highest ranking Krav practitioner - said rank awarded by the Krav Maga founder) for use of the term

From the IKMF web site
    "in the past 10 years or so, neither Eyal Yanilov nor any other high level Israeli instructors have visited the USA to teach Krav-Maga to the KMAA/KMWW instructors (the main group of our ex-students) and their students. Except for a small number of local instructors who are co-operating with the IKMF, no other person in the USA has received from us any teaching, updated material, monitoring or quality control."

Eyal wrote a letter to Krav instructors in the States a while ago in an attempt to correct some more glaring errors in their instruction, notably ones that have the potential to get their students killed (specifically in the area of pistol defence). Whether his advice was followed or not, who knows, and that was back in '05 in any case.

So unless you are lucky enough to find an IKMF-affiliated Krav instructor, approach with extreme caution.

Style
    none right now
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you very much for that.
    i plan on talking with both. I am not interested in "belts" with this initial excursion. Mostly hard conditioning andlearning some stuff at the same time.
    I will try and check the creds on these two outfits.
    i did a survey at another site and KM came up #1. that was how i was turned on to it. I had never heard of it before filling out a questionare.

Style
    karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlienGunfighter
    Personally, I'd stay away from CKM. It's the "brand" taught by Moni Aizik (the guy who taught the gun defense on Human Weapon). If you have $3-5k, 3 years of martial arts experience of any kind, and a free weekend, you too can become a CKM instructor. Maybe they have Krav Maga backgrounds, maybe not. I don't know if there is any difference between CKM and "regular" KM, and since I'm not willing to pay $5k, I'll never know.
    I'm the guy who made the investement to become a CKM instructor and am now 'breaking ranks' to talk about my experience.

My hope is that others will benefit from me talking openly about exactly how I was treated when I asked for what I thought I signed up for - I'm now the world's first CKM "Unstructor".

Sorry for promoting my site in my first post here, but I've read bullshido.net for a long time and always appreciated the candor and the humour. I'll try to answer any questions if you are interested, but give me a day or two to get back to you as I'm down under on Aussie time!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last