Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Keeping you safe from Mongolians

Posted On:
    1/19/2008 3:01pm

Style: Sanda/Taijiquan *Hiatus*

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My analogy of why I think MMA is doomed.

Okay imagine this;

You have a beautiful secret garden, you love it to bits, and spend all the time you can with it, it means the world to you. You look at every detail of it wanting to know everything about it, making sure to understand it all, and you do, and it understands you. You decide one day to share it with your best friends, they come along and love everything just as you do and you have an amazing time, sharing the experience with likeminded people. This goes on for a long while and it's great, occasionaly a new face will arrive, and you think to yourself "oh that must be a friend of 'so and so's'" but you think 'hey the more the merrier'. Gradually however you notice the garden is becoming more and more crowded, with new faces, who just seem to want to see this garden they have heard about, they come along and look around and smile and nod all the while missing so much detail, so much so that they start to unknowingly tred and trample on you favourite plants, and snap twigs of trees, the grass becomes muddy from footprints, the water in the pond becomes littered. But still they come. Eventually the numbers dwindle, and dwindle until it is just you and you're friends left. Everyone one else has moved onto a new secret garden, while you are left to look at whats left of the one you loved, but it's been ruined. It didnt mean anthing to them, they just enoyed it for a day or two, but for you it meant the world.

For me, this is what happens to anything I like that gets 'mainstream' or 'popular.'

Most recently it happened to Simon Pegg with his new (s)hit film Hot Fuzz and also to cult Asian cinema. Now it happening to MMA. I give it 6 months to a year.

p.s Yes I know i'm a grumpy elitist hermit.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2008 3:08pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This has never been talked about before

^ the answer to life

Posted On:
    1/19/2008 3:14pm

Style: bjj/(not enough)MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by seanyseanybean
    You have a beautiful secret garden
    ...gay

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/19/2008 3:17pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     New York MMA Examiner Style: magic FUCKING powers!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, mainstream acceptance of football certainly ruined the talent pool. And now everyone on a given Sunday thinks they can just do it for fun. Fuckers.

Keeping you safe from Mongolians

Posted On:
    1/19/2008 3:31pm

Style: Sanda/Taijiquan *Hiatus*

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

*runs to secret garden and cries*

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2008 3:39pm

Style: MT\KM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Grumpy elitist hermit... I'm still mad about Eidos "streamlining" Deus Ex 2!

Posted On:
    1/19/2008 3:43pm

Style: Lethargy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You gave examples of music and film, when has this ever happened to a sport? Increased popularity = more demand = more money = more fights.
    Quote Originally Posted by sochin101
    Dude, whassup? Did they freeze your dick then accidentally use it to cool down a thimble full of water? Or, did you mis-spell crayonist? You know, the guy who makes sure the wax crayons you use aren't too sharp in case you decide to do the decent thing and kill yourself.
    Training log. Here

JFS vs The Villain here

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    1/19/2008 3:43pm

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What he's really saying that TapouT and TUF are fag magnets and have filled MMA with dumb jocks who used to play baseball.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    You sound like a foaming-at-the-mouth-loon out of Dr. Strangelove.
    Sometimes, we put Ricin in the Cocaine. :ninja7:

Posted On:
    1/19/2008 3:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Abusivemelon
    You gave examples of music and film, when has this ever happened to a sport? Increased popularity = more demand = more money = more fights.
    US chess after Bobby Fischer? What, he was on the cover of Sports Illustrated and everything.

Pro wrestling also goes through a boom-bust cycle every decade or so.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    1/19/2008 3:51pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by seanyseanybean
    Okay imagine this;

You have a beautiful secret garden, you love it to bits, and spend all the time you can with it, it means the world to you. You look at every detail of it wanting to know everything about it, making sure to understand it all, and you do, and it understands you. You decide one day to share it with your best friends, they come along and love everything just as you do and you have an amazing time, sharing the experience with likeminded people. This goes on for a long while and it's great, occasionaly a new face will arrive, and you think to yourself "oh that must be a friend of 'so and so's'" but you think 'hey the more the merrier'. Gradually however you notice the garden is becoming more and more crowded, with new faces, who just seem to want to see this garden they have heard about, they come along and look around and smile and nod all the while missing so much detail, so much so that they start to unknowingly tred and trample on you favourite plants, and snap twigs of trees, the grass becomes muddy from footprints, the water in the pond becomes littered. But still they come. Eventually the numbers dwindle, and dwindle until it is just you and you're friends left. Everyone one else has moved onto a new secret garden, while you are left to look at whats left of the one you loved, but it's been ruined. It didnt mean anthing to them, they just enoyed it for a day or two, but for you it meant the world.

For me, this is what happens to anything I like that gets 'mainstream' or 'popular.'

Most recently it happened to Simon Pegg with his new (s)hit film Hot Fuzz and also to cult Asian cinema. Now it happening to MMA. I give it 6 months to a year.

p.s Yes I know i'm a grumpy elitist hermit.
    thankfully you have been around since day one.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast