Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/16/2011 4:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matroshka View Post
    If he gained true rank in Shotokan karate, it would be registered with the ISKF (International Shotokan Karate Federation: URL="http://www.iskf.com"]www.iskf.com[/URL]).
    The ISKF is just one organization, a split-off of the JKA (Nakayama Shotokan). Shotokan is not a single homogeneous style like Judo where everyone falls under one umbrella.

That being said, he probably self-promoted like most people in the U.S. Amazing, I think there are more "masters" and 8-10th dans within a 50 mile radius of this sleepy little town in NC than where I grew up in NYC....

Posted On:
    3/23/2011 2:49pm

Style: WHKD (Kaju), Sub. Grapple

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

On a more positive note, I love the dojo where I train now. We are a very non-traditional school and have a nice variety of martial arts to choose from, and our Kenpojitsu class is a hybrid of kenpo, jujitsu, kickboxing, kali and even a little BJJ. http://www.triangledojo.com/ I love blending together the best of the best martial arts. Seems to be very effective.
    Regarding this other school, what are your instructor's BJJ, kenpo and Kali qualifications. I went to the site, and no where are there any ranks or other qualifications listed...

Posted On:
    5/04/2011 7:52pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

MMA

We have a great MMa class at Ray Rice's MMA In Forest City, NC, Every Tues. & Thurs. night. First comers first time free.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/04/2011 11:58pm

Style: Shotokan, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ya...i just watched some of the videos online of his 8th degree black belt test....in particular the "musical kata" videos. If that guy is an 8th degree black belt, then i'm a god damned Grand Master Mega Ninja Black Belt. Seriously, he looks about as sloppy as the yellow belts from shotokan school i used to go to, there is no way in hell that guy has a legitimate 8th degree in ANYTHING, let alone shotokan, self defense, w/e.

I threw better reverse punches my first week of classes compared to the "8th degree" punches he was throwing in those katas.

As for the self defense set 1 video...i hope the next guy who tries attacking me is as skilled as was shown in that video lol, i like easy wins 0_o

Posted On:
    5/25/2011 10:36am

Style: WHKD (Kaju), Sub. Grapple

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dagone View Post
    We have a great MMa class at Ray Rice's MMA In Forest City, NC, Every Tues. & Thurs. night. First comers first time free.
    As far I know, you have no fighters. How is the class "MMA." Who teaches it?

Posted On:
    6/07/2011 8:09pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I took it with many more in Chesnee back in the 80's . Ray's a good one

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/08/2011 1:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Terroryzing1 View Post
    I took it with many more in Chesnee back in the 80's . Ray's a good one
    Ray's a good what?

Posted On:
    6/20/2011 7:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alright, guess I'll chime in here as well. First, here’s little about myself. I am currently a Sandan in Shotokan from the JKA (definitely not from Ray), and a Nidan in Judo from USA Judo. I too was a student of Ray's back in the 80's and 90's, although I was only a kid/teenager at that time. However, I trained at a school other than the Forest City school. This was my first experience in the martial arts, and I wish I had that time back. Ray stopped teaching in the town I was in around the mid or late 90's, after a real Shotokan practitioner joined the school and called Ray on his BS. For the record, Ray was in fact claiming to be Shotokan, at least for a while. I still have my patches he sold that had the Shotokan Tiger on it with his name above it. After someone came to town who actually did Shotokan, Ray apparently tucked his tail and left. To make matters worse, he (or some of his students) actually broke into the new (real) Shotokan school and vandalized it shortly thereafter.

Now, I will admit, Ray had some good, flashy technique, but it was never really effective martial arts. He was always VERY paranoid and often threatens other schools in his area. He has personally left his school's pamphlet with derogatory and threatening comments written inside at a school a friend of mine trains at who was also a Ray Rice student many years ago. Sadly, Ray has now sunk to essentially selling belts online at www.MyPersonalDojo.com

As for Ray's rank, even after training at his school nearly 10 years, I NEVER saw a certificate of rank, just a bunch of cheap trophies and belts. I remember one time he told our class some BS story after he was “promoted” to one of his ranks that he had to go test up on a mountain top with his teacher or some crap. Come to think of it, I don't even know who his instructors even were. I saw previously someone mentioned a 3rd generation student of Funakoshi being Ray's Shotokan instructor... that is really not impressive, especially since this was apparently back in the 60’s or 70's. What about his TKD and Aikido ranks?
    As for his son, Brandon, how old were you when you got your black belt… 8? As I recall you could not even finish a full Kata at that time, much less with any kime or technical mastery. So, long story short, if you want a school that is full of some made up BS martial arts ran by a paranoid and possibly schizophrenic teacher, then Ray Rice School of Martial Arts is for you. If you want a school that is effective and legit, look elsewhere.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2011 11:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenshin22 View Post
    Alright, guess I'll chime in here as well. First, here’s little about myself. I am currently a Sandan in Shotokan from the JKA (definitely not from Ray), and a Nidan in Judo from USA Judo. I too was a student of Ray's back in the 80's and 90's, although I was only a kid/teenager at that time. However, I trained at a school other than the Forest City school. This was my first experience in the martial arts, and I wish I had that time back. Ray stopped teaching in the town I was in around the mid or late 90's, after a real Shotokan practitioner joined the school and called Ray on his BS. For the record, Ray was in fact claiming to be Shotokan, at least for a while. I still have my patches he sold that had the Shotokan Tiger on it with his name above it. After someone came to town who actually did Shotokan, Ray apparently tucked his tail and left. To make matters worse, he (or some of his students) actually broke into the new (real) Shotokan school and vandalized it shortly thereafter.

Now, I will admit, Ray had some good, flashy technique, but it was never really effective martial arts. He was always VERY paranoid and often threatens other schools in his area. He has personally left his school's pamphlet with derogatory and threatening comments written inside at a school a friend of mine trains at who was also a Ray Rice student many years ago. Sadly, Ray has now sunk to essentially selling belts online at www.MyPersonalDojo.com

As for Ray's rank, even after training at his school nearly 10 years, I NEVER saw a certificate of rank, just a bunch of cheap trophies and belts. I remember one time he told our class some BS story after he was “promoted” to one of his ranks that he had to go test up on a mountain top with his teacher or some crap. Come to think of it, I don't even know who his instructors even were. I saw previously someone mentioned a 3rd generation student of Funakoshi being Ray's Shotokan instructor... that is really not impressive, especially since this was apparently back in the 60’s or 70's. What about his TKD and Aikido ranks?
    As for his son, Brandon, how old were you when you got your black belt… 8? As I recall you could not even finish a full Kata at that time, much less with any kime or technical mastery. So, long story short, if you want a school that is full of some made up BS martial arts ran by a paranoid and possibly schizophrenic teacher, then Ray Rice School of Martial Arts is for you. If you want a school that is effective and legit, look elsewhere.
    I take it you mean he had some "flashy technique" before that video i commented about? Because if that's your idea of good and flashy...i've got some land in alaska to sell you. That was easily one of the worst examples of actual form and technique that i've EVER seen, i honestly know white belts that i've worked with that can perform better blocks than this "8th degree black belt".

I doubt any student of Funakoshi trained Ray, and if they did, it was a BAD student if what Ray considers technique was the best that student could teach Ray.

Ray is a great example of EXACTLY why people think karate is a joke anymore (one of the reasons anymore).

Based on JUST the videos i saw, i will completely agree with you, if you want a legit and good karate school, go elsewhere.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2011 11:56am

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If he gained true rank in Shotokan karate, it would be registered with the ISKF (International Shotokan Karate Federation: www.iskf.com).
    Okazaki Sensei has a strong organization, and anyone who comes out of ISKF with a high level dan ranking is deserving of respect.

Still, there are quite a few authentic Shotokan Karate organizations other than the ISKF. Besides the JKA, you also have Kanazawa's SKIF, Oshima Sensei's SKA, Asai Sensei's JKS, and many others, some of which aren't too well known. They're not going to cross-reference with each other.

Nevertheless, though, someone who is an advanced dan rank holder in almost any of the authentic orgs, is going to have decent Shotokan kihon in their performances. Judging by the videos, Ray Rice's kihon are substandard for that ranking.

Yes, I know it's a "novice" level kata, but advanced practitioners should be able to perform novice-level kata with advanced basics. In this poor performance of Heian Godan, you can see his head bouncing up and down, in addition to using very little hip twist, poor posture, and even leading with his head. As a result, he has poor stability, very little power, and could probably get knocked over by a stiff breeze.

I've seen children green belts with better fundamentals than this guy...

Now, there may be a few individuals who assert that "well, his main art is really (insert name of his own style), and not Shotokan," that's fine. Nevertheless, there are only so many ways that a human body can optimally perform a technique, and those ways are all going to significantly overlap. It doesn't matter if you're a Goju Ryu, Wado Ryu, Shito Ryu or Shotokan practitioner. You generate power using the legs, hip twist, etc., and from what I see, the individual in question is certainly lacking in those areas.
    Last edited by chemistry; 6/21/2011 12:07pm at .
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 7 LastLast