Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *sigh*

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2008 2:18pm

Style: Japanese Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Before I invest any more time writing and educating people, is there a specific written reference to a claim of an EIGHTH DEGREE IN SHOTOKAN KARATE outside of the OP?

…and not just another 8th degree black belt, as in say from the Billy Bob’s American Kurroytee Federation, and therefore I don’t really care.

Young Mister Rice’s website, www.raffster.com appears to be offline (expired) now, and Ray Rice’s schools seem not to have any websites?

Please advise if any of you have found anything other than Yellow Book listings etc.

For JSA traditionalists, this is just painful to watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGBym...font>[/SIZ

Have to love the dojo wall of trophies too!

Posted On:
    11/24/2008 7:06pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Seven Star Praying Mantis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Ahh, Sensei Ray...

I was doing a google search for shotokan schools in my area and happened across this post about Ray Rice. I have no knowledge of the authenticity of his rank, but I have a little bit of insight into his kickboxing world title...

Sometime around November of 1995 a toughman contest was scheduled in Forest City, NC. I thought it would be great fun to go check it out, since Ray Rice had scheduled a title defense for his title belt (he was three-time champion, then). I watched a few good bouts between some martial artists and barroom brawlers, and mid-way through the card was the title fight! The challenger came out to White Zombie and some boos, and the crowd erupted when the hometown hero Ray Rice entered the arena! After the announcer finished the bell rang and it was on. As I watched, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. This had to be the fakest fight I have ever watched! The local pro-wrestling circuit in Forest City makes the fights look more real! The challenger took a dive in the middle of the second round, and Ray was announced the winner. I was in complete disbelief...

Nevermind the accusations of bullying by Ray Rice and his students to other schools in the area or former students that would switch to those same schools. The real disappointment in my eyes was the fact that I witnessed a complete fraud by someone who until then had my respect as a martial artist, despite the negativity toward him at that time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/02/2008 5:57am

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Redneck Ray... Karate master!

new youtube account
    http://www.youtube.com/user/RRKarate

http://www.myspace.com/rrkarate

my favorite "self defense" video from his vault. Near the end he talks about hillbillies, north Carolina and being tuff

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2008 6:14pm

Style: Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aside from the videos, where does this guy claim Hachidan? He can claim high rank in his own style, and say he trained in Shotokan, but where is the claim of rank?

Shotokan, like other traditional styles has good documentation of who holds any Dan rank. From my personal experience, I have been to a seminar with a Hachidan from JKA and it was nothinglike what was portrayed in the video.

Kinda sad because Nishyama just passed away and even at his age he was more impressive.

Posted On:
    12/21/2008 9:59pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shotkan, currently Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I trained under Ray Rice from 1981 to 1987 (with a break in between). Although I did not receive my BB from him, I did through another. Boxing and kick boxing have been a part of my life as well--which started under Ray as well. Currently, I train under a Korean master of Tae Kwon Do, Hapkido, and Judo (By the way, Judo is the father of BJJ--do your home work-to whom this applies). He is the real deal much like Ray. Unfortunately, a fair portion of my past years have been turbulent. But let me back up a minute before I make my next few statements. At the Ray Rice School of Martial arts (27 years ago), we were training in what is now called MMA, yet, teaching shotokan Kata for ranking purpose. There was also included Aikido, Tae Kwon DO, Kendo, and a variety of other styles including Japenese weopons. No we did not spend much time rolling on the mat--our training philosophy was to put people there and prepare for the next guy if any. Not get kicked by his buddy when you are on the ground. Now I am not dissing ground fighting--I am currently doing it now. But, that is just the truth of the entire matter. I did become a well rounded fighter by starting my training under him. Now regarding the turbulence. My life took me many places. Now I assure you, the foundation of what I learned did in fact work. I am a white man who lives in S.E. DC--that offeres problems and/or opportunity. Also, do you think underground fighting is a new phenomenon? Despite the fact that demonstrations are, well, planned--No rocket science there--they are in fact marketing tools as well as just plain fun for the people observing. So yes, you do put spin on it. And for the record, Ray did in fact do "Demonstration Fights" as they were and still are affirmed to be--not dives...just read the card. As to his claims and authenticity in ranking...I honestly can attest to the 4th Dan, but we lost contact for a while and I honestly don't know about 5 through 8 Dan. What I can attest to as well, is the years of struggles the man went through, that a cowardly arsonist burned his school down, me getting jumped by students from a competing school and my subduing them fairly easily (when I was much younger), the respect and honor and humility that was taught, and I can go on. Ray's faith surely allows him the knowledge of his imperfections, so don't go there please. So if you are going to spend your time stabbing someone in the back, back biting, or just joining in on a gossip train, MAN, get a life. Surely there is more to do for you than belittle someone. Now let me leave you with this: "You may complain about the speck of saw dust in his eye, but what about the plank in your eye."

Posted On:
    12/21/2008 10:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=409473608

Claims 8th degree on MySpace. Also, cites the orgs he won his titles. Too lazy to read in depth; I just googled and skimmed.

Ray Rice Martial Arts Center's Blurbs
    About me:

Ray Rice has been active in Martial Arts since 1971 and holds the rank of 8th Degree Black Belt and also earned belts in Shotokan, Tae Kwon Do, Kenpo, Ju-Jitsu, and Akido. He was tested and certified for each rank by a national and reputable panel of judges which included one oh his instructors, Steve Lazenby a 3rd generation Black Belt from the founder of Shotokan Karate "Gishin Funakoshi" and he has furthered his training in "Kobudo"(martial arts weaponry) with certifications in eleven martial arts weapons.

Ray's martial arts training has been enhanced by seminars with world renowned "masters" and champions such as Chuck Norris, Bill Wallace, Joe Lewis, Will Meir, Ernie Reyes, Steve Lavalle, Royce Gracie, and many more. Ray statistics as a competitor has gained him recognition on national television and interviews in several national sport Karate magazines that document his success and demonstrate his well rounded approach of positive reinforcement as a martial arts instructor.

His sport tournament competition has netted hundreds of wins in Kumite(fighting), Kata(empy hand forms), Weapons and most dominating Self Defense for which he held the Southeast Competitor of the year award for five years.

Rays personal goals have been accomplished in the kickboxing ring representing Forest City honorably in 18 states in the US and internationally in Canada, France, Italy, and Russia. Early in his career he earned many state titles and then progressed to become the Southeast Title Holder in his weight class and was recognized as one of the top 10 Kickboxers in the world. With over 100 matches in the ring, he held 3 World Titles – the W.K.C. (World Kickboxing Council), W.K.F. (World Kickboxing Federation), Middle Weight titles of 92-95 and the North American Middle weight Title under the W.K.A. (World Kickboxing Association, and the1995 (KICK) Middle Weight Champ Karate International Council of Kickboxing.

The most most important indicators of Rice's success are the students that have became Black Belts. With a minimum of 4 years of training every Black Belt who earns this rank is qualified and capable of contributing to society in a positive way. This professional program has produced confident, well mannered, and successful leaders in the community.
    Artistic MySpace Layouts
    Who I'd like to meet:
    New and Future Students along with Current and Former Students from over the Years

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/11/2009 5:49pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ/MMA/JUDO/KARATE/JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually...I was attemping to give at least SOME credibility to the school but...nevermind...

I enjoyed teaching and helping people...I spent alot of time, money, and energy trying to help the school..but if people want to run their own business into the ground...dont let me get in the way..

Also...the slandering like on here, is the biggest reason why I left...even MONTHS before I ever even thought about leaving..I heard what was being said about me, about others...about basically everyone..along with fake profiles being made, attacking my myspace (wonder who that could have been...) insulting me and even threatening me (yeah go ahead and try that...whatever it was you were dreaming about..) along with the negative attitudes about anything but worshipping the school...

I decided to move on and make efforts elsewhere, somewhere that would actually make a difference..if anyone wants to blame me for that...thats their problem..

I also became interested in other styles primarily BJJ and MMA...which I had been training in SOME..but could never reallyexcell at due to the rediculous politics between everyone at the school...AND for the record...the BJJ/MMA guys I was training with have been absolutely ripping up the local BJJ and amatuer MMA tournaments and competitions..some of them are getting ready to go pro..and seriously..the fights have been all one sided...the guys are doing awesome..some of the competition was against gokors students and even some up and coming militech fighters...so make up bullcrap stories about someone else...

Every class, every demonstration, every tournament, every single function the school had...I was there..even when NO ONE else was...I was there..and I dont like to bad mouth anyone...I mind my own business...like I said I was trying to give SOME credibility to the school out of respect...but NO im not gonna lie and make it out to be something that its not..

Sure I used to go with Ray to every Tournament he competed in for most of this decade...and yeah we usually came home with 1st place trophies...so if point karate and demontratios arewhat you wanna learn go for it...but thats not me...and its not Bushido...and im sorry but I cant quit my job and teach every single class for free like I did for years...I have bills to pay..so tell me im wrong if you think im wrong...thats your opinion and im not gonna make it my problem...I already know im Right..

Posted On:
    1/11/2009 7:56pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shotkan, currently Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally, I am not attacking anyone here. I do know things have changed at that particular Dojo since my day. Maybe it is money and business, who knows. Yet, despite Rays problems, he is a good man. He had his day, now there is another day dawning...simple as that. I also know I am a personal friend of the fellow who runs the BJJ side of that school. Had life been a little kinder to me down there, I probably would be with him training now. I would like to add: There is merit on both sides for what they are doing. Also, there should not be a problem in pursuing other styles...I do it and will continue. As a matter of fact, I got my start in BJJ with M.C. I now continue as I mentioned earlier in another post. As a matter of fact, my ground skills have increased substantially (as well as standing up grappling and throwing) and as to those who felt it, my stand up is still good...for a forty somethingner. Seriously, can't we all just get along. Things have been word said on both sides, but they are just words. Although once said, you can't take them back, but word without substance have no weight. i.e. If does not apply, let it fly...get it? I do pray that all involved find peace. That is still the essence of Bushido isn't it...or have we all just turned into a bunch of mindless brawlers? Anyone cna learn to fight better...but try to find peace, serinity, humility and patience. Man, that has helped me far better than any of the fighting skills I have gained. Though many, my battles are but a small remant of my life. The ability to live in peace with serinity and patience while maintainign humility is a daily battle...the reward of which are far more gratifying than winning a fight. Though wining is good to :-)

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/11/2009 9:04pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ/MMA/JUDO/KARATE/JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well thats the thing...I never said anything about them OR the school...over a period of a year or so I heard things being said about myself and about other people I knew personally...things I knew werent true...and it just grew and grew and got worse...so I left...and ive seen everyone there have good days and bad days..but enough is enough and too far is too far... and yes M.C. is an excellent BJJ student/instructor..I still consider him one of my 2 BJJ instructors..and one of my 4 main instructors in Martial Arts in general..inc,uding Ray Rice..I mean I loved teaching there..I loved helping I loved the friendship..I miss it like crazy even now..But im not a fool...You know if things were different and there werent so many things that eat my conscience alive...i'd go back..

By the way M.C. hits really hard..especially for a short guy...
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123 4567 LastLast