Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/19/2008 12:51pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Forest City, NC: Ray Rice - 8th degree Shotokan Karate Black Belt?

This guy is claiming to be an 8th Degree Black Belt in Shotokan Karate. He's out of Forest City, NC. Form and technique-wise, he is definately not standard Shotokan. Does anyone know if he has any credability? Here is a link to a bunch of videos of his.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=RAFFSTER83

There are some clips of him during his "4th Degree Black Belt" test... which is ironically in his own Dojo and I only notcied a bunch of his own students around. His son is the one who posted all the videos. Thanks!

Posted On:
    1/20/2008 11:27am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    dsimon writes:

There are a few sequences in his self defense video where you can see some evidence of Karate training. Other than that the guy is a kickboxer through and through

Karate is truly a lost art as people continually bounce around and imitate kickboxers. This guy is very typical in this respect. No he does not look like a person who innovates and/or uses Shotokan as a basis for his art. He looks like a kick boxer. Nothing wrong with that per se. I don't know if this qualifies as Bullshido.

First: His high kicking is not typical of Shotokan. His attempts at mobility are not typical of Shotokan. For example in the knife defense sequence he confuses two concepts that both can be useful but do not go together. If you really must block the knife attacker's arm in Shotokan you try to break his arm. You would not be able to grab Uke's arm thats for sure.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/17/2008 6:14pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ/MMA/JUDO/KARATE/JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well im actually one of his former blackbelts...hes supposed to be a 3 time world kickboxing champion...and has a blackbelt in shotokan but his first blackbelt was in taekwondo under jo hong kim...and hes picked up things from other styles through visits and seminars like aikido, kempo, Brazilian JiuJitsu..although his BJJ is very amatuerish..thats about all i do now is BJJ and MMA...but he labels his school as freestyle martial arts not shotokan..our katas are shotokan and basic punches blocks and kicks were shotokan...some of the self defense was shotokan..but mostly of the rest was taekwondo with hints of kempo and JiuJitsu...and as for the belt tests..yeah he pretty much invited other school owners and blackbelts up to watch him do a demonstration that he threw together and they sign off as witnesses...if You've seen a video of his 8th degree test...im the big guy directly in front of him in the sefl defense...i taught there from november 2000 after i went for green belt..until february 2008 when i finally had to leave for personal reasons and a falling out..i'd been a 2nd degree blackbelt for 2 years at the time...but most of what we did was line drill and kata..sparring maybe twice a month and self defense maybe twice a month..and it was mostly geared for demonstration and point tournaments...and the grappling was pretty much a joke...although we did have a seperate JiuJitsu class..those guys knew their stuff..but it mostly strkes me as a karate kid type school...where true competitive styles or combat styles such as BJJ, Judo, muay thai, MMA, things like that were shunned and slandered..so were the people who trained it it...mostly because its easy to see which one is real...i mean...the beginners in the BJJ class could easily clean the mat with any of the schools best karate blackbelts..and most of the blackbelts were lazy..and didnt have a clue about ANYTHING in martial arts...and couldnt care less about training for anything real like fighting or self defense...they just wanted to go through that new kata and line drill and jump kicks so they could say "hey look at my new belt" sheesh...

Posted On:
    6/16/2008 10:07pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shotkan, free style

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

SETTING THE RECORD STRAIGHT

Ok little boys let me set the record straight for you all including you especially Matthew aka templar_knight.

For those who don't know me im Brandon Rice the son of Ray Rice just so you know that you have a reputable source for this type of information not just a bunch of jealous hot air being posted.

ok let the schooling begin.................

I can asure that his credibility is 100% he has been in martial arts for over 35 years and teaching since the mid 70's, He has a background in shotokan, tae kwon do, and aikdo so hes not strictly shotokan because his school is considered free style now because we've integrated several styles but still carry the traditional shotokan kata system and line drill tech.

for the recorde he is a true martial artist and a kickboxer theres no imitation i can assure you because 4 world titles just dont fall outta the sky and having fights in Russia, Italy, France, Canada, and all over the US says something.

Pay no attention to the rant made by templar knight everyone he defently didnt learn to Respect and Honor the Instructor which is two of the corner stones of martial arts and to have him come on here and slander the instructor who taught him pretty much everything he knows and was teaching martial arts before he was even a thought to his parents just goes to show what a sorry excuse for a martial artist he really is, i mean.

martial arts isnt all about the combat side of it thats why so many mma/bjj fanatics have there head up there ass because they are to ignorant to understand the true meaning of martial arts thats been passed down from generation ot generation. but as i recall matthew those "guys" who had there stuff together in the bjj class always got there ass handed to them when they actually entered a real mma fight, if you ask me those people are the jokes including you. so feel free to show this around to all your paper tiger friends because im posting this for you and all the wantabees you might be training with now.

besides martial arts isn't about being the baddest bad ass on the block its about making you a better and stronger person that people can look up to and know hey this guy/girl is different than the rest of the people i want some of what they got.

You people around here will stop slandering my fathers name by your choice or by getting your mouth shut personally, so i hope you make the right decision. I mean you quit so shut the hell up and move on with your life.........or should i say what life with spreading this type of garbage.

so i apologize to everyone that had to read this post but i had to set the record straight for all you folks who may have the wrong impression of my father from this clown.

Thank You and all you true Martial Artist have a Good Day

Brandon Rice (az2nv@hotmail.com) for those who want to know more or comment on this post.
    Last edited by AZ2NV; 6/16/2008 10:13pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/16/2008 10:31pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah - and you're Yon-Dan at 24.

Gichin Funakoshi is rolling in his haka.
    Last edited by hungryjoe; 6/16/2008 10:35pm at .

Posted On:
    6/16/2008 10:41pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    haha hey you never know lol

Posted On:
    6/16/2008 10:46pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

on a side note im not claiming to be this or that like some do. this post was brought to my attention and who in there right mind would let someone just run theres dads name in the dirt, some of you might but i will not stand for it

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/16/2008 10:49pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah - I do know.

I too, like your father, started in the 70's and spent time on Okinawa in the early 80's.

A question was put forth to the forum regarding your father's rank.

It is natural for you to post in his defense.

Nothing here is taken as gospel until proven. Nothing against you or your father.

Joe

Gold Summit Martial Arts Institute

Posted On:
    6/16/2008 11:11pm

Style: Ba Zheng Dao Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One guy doesn't know what paragraphs are, and the other guy uses colored fonts.

This is going to get ugly...

Authentic Kung Fu in Buffalo, NY

http://www.buffalokungfu.com

http://www.laoshierinmarkle.com

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/16/2008 11:18pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On vacation.