Martial mediocrite

Posted On:
    1/19/2008 3:57am

Join us... or die
     Style: Using bag as aggro outlet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Glima and the reclusivity of its practitioners

Glima has fascinated me for a while as being culturally signifcant to Nordic people, very technical and coming in several different varieties depending on purpose (all with really long Old Norse names).

What gets me is that a Scandinavian called Josephsson travelled to Japan and defeated several jujitsu masters. This should have been the beginning of Glima's participation in the the style-vs-style matches that were very popular in the early 20th century. It wasn't and there have been no style vs style matches in over 100 years in a style whose origins are over 1000 years old.

Why?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glima
    What am I?:

I am ignorant, thieving, lying, hypocrital, violent and thoroughly self obssessed. I steal from others to make myself look better, only to make the item or information worse.

I go on and on and ON about how brave and strong and brilliant and wealthy I am, but in the end I'm all mouth and no trousers.

That's right children, I'm your average AMERICUNT! and I exemplify AMERICA!:911flag:

:occasion1

JohnnyCache's "retort" proving how much he knows about medicine and geography and First World countries:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=78188&page=22

Yes, through persistent lack of work and the cultivation of ignorance, he is a true American.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    1/19/2008 11:54am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you planning on writing an article on .org about this or are you just wanting to discuss this topic? If the latter then this belongs in MABS.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/20/2008 2:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Why not?" is actually quite an interesting question.

Josephsson was a historical oddity; the only Icelander (AFAIK) who jumped on the big "style vs. style" wrestling bandwagon at the turn of the 1900s. For whatever reason, probably having much to do with Iceland's tiny population and distance from everywhere else, no-one followed in his footsteps in the short term.

Obviously, the First World War distracted everyone from such frivolities as wrestling, and seriously decimated the ranks of young athletes from every participating country.

After WW1 the Olympic movement started to exert some serious international muscle which led to certain sports being funded at the national level while many others were left to their own devices. The Olympic Committee only recognized a limited range of wrestling sports, which quickly overtook all others in terms of popularity, at which point the style vs. style contests that had been very popular about twenty years before faded away; almost everyone wanted the funding and recognition of training in an "approved" style, with the chance to represent their country at the Olympic Games. As a relatively obscure belt-wrestling style, Glima had enough grassroots support to survive, but the sporting climate had changed.

Simultaneously, the rise of professional (showbiz) wrestling answered the public appetite for unusual matches, wrestling "feuds" and larger than life characters.