Posted On:
    1/18/2008 5:35pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: northern shaolin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I will educate you on TMAs with every cliche you have ever heard

Quote Originally Posted by Sophist
    I'm not a CMA guy. Sorry. I don't know a lot about the kung fu styles, and I'm curious.

I have this little problem when I venture into this area, and it's that I don't know what the different styles do or what they look like when doing it. I know what judo looks like against other judo guys, and what it looks like in a more mixed environment, and the same goes for BJJ or boxing or muay thai, even if I don't appreciate all the subtleties in the striking arts. I don't know what differentiates someone fighting with Baji or Xing Yi or any of the other arts. Part of this is of course because of the oft-mentioned rarity of good schools, but I can't help feeling that those of you who're competent fighters might want to show us what your stuff looks like, done right.

Would it be possible perhaps to have some sort of drive to accumulate video of CMA sparring so that those of us who don't know what an art looks like have some sort of reference? Maybe with some sort of blurb talking us through key points that highlight strategies and techniques characteristic of the art or arts in question? I think it would be enlightening both for those of us who don't have former CMA experience and for those who're coming from a CMA school that doesn't train as well as it might. It would be particularly useful as it's harder to find good fight video kicking around the 'Net with the Chinese arts than it is with some other arts.
    First of all there are really no bad instructors, just better ones.All teachers can take you to a certain level, and with most, about 1 year is all they stay.There are no bad styles also.It depends on what you are looking for.The style of study that I had was for the extreme only.Meaning that it is only used for a fight.Tai Kit Kuen was one of the main styles taught to the warriors going into battle.It is mainly Tiger style.Very serious.An example is the Tiger Claw.Its a circular motion as typical in Kung Fu styles.It is a downward strike with the palm heel of your hand srtiking the nose, and as the hand passes over the face the fingers dig into the eyes, and tear down from there.The movement should be done in a fraction of a second.Then I was in my 20s, I used to bounce a t a large nite club in the chicago suburbs.One nite I was confronted with a drunk customner that wanted a piece of me.I turned, and he was on top of me, and I no time to thing, just react.He was well dressed, and young like me, and I really didnt see him as a threat, but he was there so fast I just moved on him.I hit him with a Tiger Claw, but I didnt break his nose or gouge his eyes.I didnt want to mame the guy for ever for one drunken mistake.So I just brushed my hand, and fingers over his face.Believe me, it stoped him dead in his tracks.I have used a Dragon Head fist to the throat of my opponents twice.You have to be careful, as you can kill them with this.I takes about 3 to 5 seconds before they realize that they cant breath anymore.

The reason that I am telling you all of this, is because, one thing might work for someone, but wont work for someone else, or they dont have the stomach to use such radical technique.

That is why there are so many styles out there.It's just not the teachers, but how far the students want to go .

some people like Judo, because they feel that the chances of haveing to fight to the death are remote, and it is better to learn something that wont land them in jail for manslaughter.

Each style is differant according to the general student body.Somepeople watch Tai Chi, and say wow, that would be great if I could just touch someone, and knock them away.That takes years, and it really isnt practical in the street.Tae Kwoon Do can work in a fight, but not very well against a good street fighter.Any style can work, but only so much depending on the situation.

dont think that I am getting off point, because I am trying to give frame of mind to look at all of the arts, and make an informed decision on what works for you, and not what is popular in town at the time.You could study several differant styles, and combine them in your own fighting system.

Enough of that.

There are two forms in arts. There is functioal, and classical.functional is for the street, and thats it.sometimes it dosent even look like Martail Arts.It just looks like street fighting.

Classical is the fancy end of the art, and we need it also.classical are the Katas' that you have to learn.Classical is the exact way to throw a punch, or kick.It is absoulutely nessary to keep the art alive.to try to keep it as pure as possible.Classical is what you see in the old Kung Fu movies from China.Those movies are basically a demostration of one style verses another.Like Snake vs. Crane.Or Tiger vs. Mantis.In real life those people would never fight like that.when you are fighting for your life, you dont care what you look like, just that you win.

So all you really can do is watch the old movies, and try to get some grace, and elegance in your movement, and then train like hell on what you think would work for you in a real fight.

I know where you are comming from.I used to think just like that.Its a good thing, because you are already way ahead of everyone elase that picks one school, and says that now they are the best.

Keep an open mind, search for the truth, and train hard.

May you be a brother to the wind, and a friend to the Gods.

Chin Hu Kai

Posted On:
    1/18/2008 5:48pm

Style: chinese boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    HELL YEAH!

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/18/2008 5:56pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now the thread is called Where is all the Full contact kung fu.

Failure:
    1)You didn't post a video.
    2)
    There are two forms in arts. There is functioal, and classical.functional is for the street, and thats it.sometimes it dosent even look like Martail Arts.It just looks like street fighting.
    There is health, there is performance, there is made up, there is historical, there is movie fu etc.

Now the two true are functional and non-functional.

3)
    Classical is the fancy end of the art, and we need it also.classical are the Katas' that you have to learn.Classical is the exact way to throw a punch, or kick.
    Nope wrong again. Form practice have been around since the inception of Chinese Martial arts. Now when it became forms is another story.

4)
    So all you really can do is watch the old movies, and try to get some grace, and elegance in your movement, and
    No, a majority of kung fu directors admit they changed KF fighting and forms. Hell, some admit to making things up entirely from scratch.

5)
    then train like hell on what you think would work for you in a real fight.
    No, think necessary that is what sparring and coaches are for in the first place. Then you KNOW it works.

*Everyone that wants to argue notice the pluralization please*

First of all there are really no bad instructors, just better ones.All teachers can take you to a certain level, and with most, about 1 year is all they stay.There are no bad styles also.It depends on what you are looking for.The style of study that I had was for the extreme only.Meaning that it is only used for a fight.Tai Kit Kuen was one of the main styles taught to the warriors going into battle.It is mainly Tiger style.Very serious.An example is the Tiger Claw.Its a circular motion as typical in Kung Fu styles.It is a downward strike with the palm heel of your hand srtiking the nose, and as the hand passes over the face the fingers dig into the eyes, and tear down from there.The movement should be done in a fraction of a second.Then I was in my 20s, I used to bounce a t a large nite club in the chicago suburbs.One nite I was confronted with a drunk customner that wanted a piece of me.I turned, and he was on top of me, and I no time to thing, just react.He was well dressed, and young like me, and I really didnt see him as a threat, but he was there so fast I just moved on him.I hit him with a Tiger Claw, but I didnt break his nose or gouge his eyes.I didnt want to mame the guy for ever for one drunken mistake.So I just brushed my hand, and fingers over his face.Believe me, it stoped him dead in his tracks.I have used a Dragon Head fist to the throat of my opponents twice.You have to be careful, as you can kill them with this.I takes about 3 to 5 seconds before they realize that they cant breath anymore.
    This is all bullshit and why it is being moved.

1) Yes there are bad teachers. They ahve been showcased on this site. Hell you gave an example 1year of training and they quit. Then some of them open schools

2) Yes there are bad arts look up Musashi's Grill and Coda Scott.

3) Fighting a Drunk does not make your art respectable. This whole bar fight arguments by TMAers is dumb.

4) SUper Sayian damage my ass. RNC's work for everyone. A right cross works for everyone. If it is so complicated only 10% of the people in the world can use it, I can put effort into well known accurate provable techniques.

5) Screw the Deadly.

6) Judo isn't deadly? I think you need to read an injury report provided by another poster.

7) Tai Chi doesn't take years to learn.

8) No everyone cannot combine all arts into one.

9) Smashing the throat is not deadly.

10) Post on topic (provide videos) or stay out.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/18/2008 5:59pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by evetsm1155
    There are two forms in arts. There is functioal, and classical.functional is for the street, and thats it.sometimes it dosent even look like Martail Arts.It just looks like street fighting
    You mean brief exchanges between chumps who keep their hands down, chin up waiting to get clocked, no footwork at all, with windmill arm punches? Because that's what the average street fight looks like.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2008 6:32pm

Style: Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bwaaaaaahahahahahahahahahah!!!!!!!!!!! :new_llyin

Posted On:
    1/18/2008 6:35pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dear god, has this **** heard of lurking!?
    To the OP: read more dumbass!

Posted On:
    1/18/2008 6:42pm

Style: chinese boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    Dear The Gods, has this **** heard of lurking!?
    To the OP: read more dumbass!
    Fixed.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/18/2008 6:51pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Keep an open mind, search for the truth, and train hard.
    Ashida, is that you?

Dude, are you trying to be/sound deep or something? Cuz you are failing miserably. Is it really fucking hard to blurt something more original rather than some random expressions right out of a cheesy sci-fi/warrior B-movie????

Next thing we know he's going to start cheap-quoting Master Po or Miyamoto Musashi
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Here to kick your ass.

Posted On:
    1/18/2008 7:30pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Jubo NOOB, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, that was inspiring and wonderfully new...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2008 7:37pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    my favorite thing about YMAS is that the thread titles are always accurate
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast