Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    1/17/2008 6:40pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Had a physical the other day...

It's been at least 7 years since I actually went to a doctor's office for the specific purpose of getting a physical and having blood work done. Generally I only go if I notice a problem, but since my family has a huge history of heart disease and cancer, I figured it might be a good idea to get an idea of where I stand especially with heart disease. Figured I would write about it and get some feedback, if you have any, or get people to talk about their health status in general

First thing they tested was my blood pressure, which was 124 / 82, and resting heart rate which was 54 bpm (nurse thought he had made a mistake the first time). So far looking good, I used to have higher BP but have been getting a lot more cardio in the last few years and am eating considerably healthier; huzzah for preventative medicine!

Next they did my height and weight, 5’6 1/2 and 195 Ibs. The doctor tells me that while I have a considerable amount of muscle mass, having more mass (fat and/or muscle) can lead to heart disease. He recommends I consider losing some weight and try to tone up a bit when lifting.

Testicular cancer test was fine; yay for healthy balls.

Next came my lipid profile. Here’s a good link which explains what I'm talking about if you have never read anything on it.

Total Blood Cholesterol: 163 mg/dL (200 mg/dL optimal)
    LDL Cholesterol (bad): 110 mg/dL (less then 100 mg/dL optimal)
    HDL Cholesterol (good): 38 mg/dL (above 40 mg/dL is optimal)
    Triglycerides: 73 mg/dL (bellow 150 mg/dL is optimal)

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the results. Doing great with my total cholesterol and my triglycerides level is rocking! I'm disappointed that my HDL isn't higher since I've been taking salmon oil capsules for a year or so. Will try to include more veggies and fruits in my diet, cut out some of the meat and try to lose a bit in the stomach area.

Any advice and comments are welcome

Posted On:
    1/17/2008 6:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How old are you?

Posted On:
    1/17/2008 7:12pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    26 years old

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    1/17/2008 7:17pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Advice:
    No hormone profile? For next time, even if they're not covered by insurance, it's pretty cheap to add to any existing bloodwork.

Comment:
    He's a **** for telling you to "tone up". Hate that phrase.

Posted On:
    1/17/2008 7:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    why is his doc a **** for telling him to "tone"?

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    1/17/2008 7:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    CoffeeFan,

Unfortunately, low HDL is genetic. Since you are already very physically active, there is only so much you can do to raise it significantly. Your best bet is to eliminate trans fatty acids from your diet as much as possible. (And yes, consider whether you should drop mass.)

Now, more importantly:

With your risk factors, you should NOT BE HAPPY with your results, for three reasons:

1) Your Blood pressure is still too high. Increased risk starts at 115/75 mm Hg and doubles with each increment of 20/10 mm Hg

2) Your LDL is still too high.

3) Your doctor did not test cholesterol with the more comprehensive VAP test, nor did you get a test for C-Reactive Protein, Fibrinogen, or homo-cysteine (though it's possible you just didn't mention these).

Everything you list is fine if you don't have risk factors. But, since you do, you should be more pro-active with this than your typical General Practitioner will be on his/her own.
    Last edited by Tom Kagan; 1/17/2008 7:24pm at .
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

Posted On:
    1/17/2008 7:24pm

Style: Rehab Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At your age and level of fitness, that HDL and LDL are a big blinking red light. Nothing you need to worry about for several years, but they will be an issue in your future.

Posted On:
    1/17/2008 7:27pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    Advice:
    No hormone profile? For next time, even if they're not covered by insurance, it's pretty cheap to add to any existing bloodwork.

Comment:
    He's a **** for telling you to "tone up". Hate that phrase.
    eh, what are you going to do. Out of curiosity, what does a hormone profile consist of and why do you recomend it?

Posted On:
    1/17/2008 7:43pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    CoffeeFan,

Unfortunately, low HDL is genetic. Since you are already very physically active, there is only so much you can do to raise it significantly. Your best bet is to eliminate trans fatty acids from your diet as much as possible. (And yes, consider whether you should drop mass.)
    TK, first of all thank you for the response. I will have to evaluate my diet a bit and consider getting protien from supplimentation and sources other then meat. Already working on droping weight

With your risk factors, you should NOT BE HAPPY with your results, for three reasons:

1) Your Blood pressure is still too high. Increased risk starts at 115/75 mm Hg and doubles with each increment of 20/10 mm Hg

2) Your LDL is still too high.

3) Your doctor did not test cholesterol with the more comprehensive VAP test, nor did you get a test for C-Reactive Protein, Fibrinogen, or homo-cysteine (though it's possible you just didn't mention these).
    I'm happier it's not worse then it is TK. Granted I will be working very hard on lowering my BP and LDL, I'm more pleased due to a) my sister had much higher levels when she was my age b) I'm sure my profile was MUCH worse when I was 18 and c) my BP and RHR have progressivly been going down these last few years. I'm sure I can make improvements from here.

As for the VAP test, I only went with what the nurse told me over the phone today. I will request a copy of the test and ask them about getting a more complete test done.

Everything you list is fine if you don't have risk factors. But, since you do, you should be more pro-active with this than your typical General Practitioner will be on his/her own
    How would you recomend I be more pro-active

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    1/17/2008 7:51pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    why is his doc a **** for telling him to "tone"?
    It's a stupid meaningless phrase. If you want someone to lose bodyfat, tell them that.

Out of curiosity, what does a hormone profile consist of and why do you recomend it?
    Shows your hormone levels - testosterone and such.

edit: nevermind. read your age as 36. You should be fine.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast