Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/17/2008 7:31am

Style: Wing Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

why does the UFC have these rules?

I hope this is the right place for a question like this...

...but why does the UFC have these rules?

(from http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=LearnUFC.Rules)

14. Kicking the head of a grounded opponent.
    15. Kneeing the head of a grounded opponent.
    16. Stomping a grounded opponent.

Doesn't this mean that you don't even need a standup game?

You could just fall to the ground and wait for them to come and wrestle you. No-one's seriously going to punch someone on the ground if they're any good at wrestling.
  2. BJJbot

Posted On:
    1/17/2008 7:32am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome aboard, sprunghunt! The Bullshido staff would welcome you personally, but the thing is they’re busy keeping the peace, so they’ve apointed me, a bot, to pat you on the back and assure you that in no way will you be harmed during your stay here at BS.net. Your views on the martial arts, your philosphy, maybe even your entire reason for being will be challenged, shattered, reorganized, melted down, and forged into something new and shiny, but we swear it will only hurt a little bit… at first.

Posted On:
    1/17/2008 7:48am

Style: BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sprunghunt

You could just fall to the ground and wait for them to come and wrestle you. No-one's seriously going to punch someone on the ground if they're any good at wrestling.
    ground and pound?

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/17/2008 7:50am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sprunghunt

Why is this in newbietown? This place should be to serve as a place to introduce yourself, not to shelter these types of questions for the raw scrutiny it deserves.

Anyways, you still need a ground game. You are asking what you now is a loaded, captious question (doesn't this mean that you don't eve need a standup game?).

How many times have you seen people just falling to the ground? How many, with names?

A fighter trying to do such thing would quickly fall into obscurity since such tactics are not well-received in MMA.

Second thing, what is this "no one is going to seriously going to punch you into the ground if they are any good at wrestling"???? Wrestling is what allows you to get into good position on the ground to pound the living **** out of your opponent.

If by "being good at wrestling", you mean "good at submissions", then you are confusing wrestling with grappling. And even then, grappling is about obtaining superior position from where to launch a submission or a strike.

The rules you are talking about are to avoid a man standing or on side control to kick or knee his opponent's head. If you are standing you can kick his legs or axe-kick them anywhere below their neck. If you are on side control, you can knee them anywhere below the neck.

Anyone who thinks either option is not effective or that does not require MMA-related striking skills is smoking something weird. Those limitations you mentioned are, in theory, to decrease the risk of a concussion (which already exists while they punch/kick/elbow/knee to their heads while standing or while punching and elbowing to the face while on the ground.)

I don't quite agree with #14 and #15 in situations where both fighters are scrambling to get up and the one that gets on his feet must wait for the other to be on his feet as well before trying to kick/knee him in the head. That's my only caveat. I completely agree with #16, though.

To take those rules as incentive to even ask this silly question requires a complete logic breakdown of cosmic proportions.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Hoo Ha!

Posted On:
    1/17/2008 8:00am

supporting member
     Style: San Da, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kicks to the body really hurt. Punches to the head really hurt, and if you have a good ground game it makes it even easier i.e Fedor.

The main reason they have them I imagine is because their more likely to cause serious injury (pride fighters seemed to of survived though), I think its more PR based. They just look bad.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/17/2008 8:59am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They banned these because it makes people feel queasy to watch. Everyone I know who sees UFC #1, even the tough people, cringe at the stomping. It is like how there were no elbows in pride. Different culture.

And no, you can't just fall to the ground (ended before this became trolling).
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/17/2008 8:59am

Style: JJ/Freestyle

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    #14. This has occured years ago, when I was much more naieve than I am now.
    It's not that it just hurts, but it's also a really good way of getting some serious injury that could well be life threatening.
    #15 see above
    16 # see above - you can't physically put all your weight into a kick when standing, you can if you're stomping their face into the mat. Spines and skulls don't react well to that sort of consistent damage.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/17/2008 10:36am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think with the more knowledgeable referee's those types of strikes would not be very common. Didn't they allow similar strikes in pride?
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Posted On:
    1/17/2008 10:38am

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Keeps the feds off the sport's back.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/17/2008 10:59am

Style: Tiger Crane combination

--