Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/17/2008 10:13pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by G8
    and by the time he's 30 or 32, he's going to be leaving his athletic prime & won't be all that special any more
    That is absolutely wrong. Average male athletes reach their prime in gymnastics and olympic lifting as they turn 20 and early 20s, in sprinting and combat sports around in their early 30s and in powerlifting as they turn 40.

Can't remember for the life of me where the **** I read those numbers, but that's how it is. It just takes to look a couple of athletes in each of those sports to see their ages fit those descriptions.

Furthermore, when it comes to top, creme-de-la-creme athletes, not average, but top-tier athletes, they have the capacity to break those molds. Couture is one example. I dare to say GSP is in that category.

Having said that, LHW seems a bit too much of a stretch. That he can jump into that division and lay waste to most (not all) of the competition. I can see that.

I don't seem him making it to the top, however. I think LHW is a terrible idea.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    1/17/2008 10:15pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    couture was in a lot better condition and I think much stronger than Sylvia. I don't think the same can be said about GSP versus some of the top LHW's. Yes his S&C is top notch, but so are the top LHW's.

Prophet of Apathy

Posted On:
    1/18/2008 3:54am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    That is absolutely wrong. Average male athletes reach their prime in gymnastics and olympic lifting as they turn 20 and early 20s, in sprinting and combat sports around in their early 30s and in powerlifting as they turn 40.

Can't remember for the life of me where the **** I read those numbers, but that's how it is. It just takes to look a couple of athletes in each of those sports to see their ages fit those descriptions.

That's roughly correct. The point most people don't realise about athletic performance declining in most team sports is that it's at least as much to do with attrition than age. It's hard to go through a contact sports career without picking up several serious injuries. So essentially longevity has a lot to do with luck and professionalism.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    1/18/2008 8:26am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Current Ring magazine champs:
    David Haye: 27
    Bernard "The Executioner" Hopkins: 43
    Joe Calzaghe: 35
    Kelly Pavlik: 25
    Floyd Mayweather, Jr.: 30
    Ricky Hatton: 29
    Joel Casamayor: 36
    Israel Vázquez: 30
    Iván Calderón: 32

Average (excluding Hopkins as a widley acknowledged freak of nature): 30.5

In something as skill-involved as combat sports, peak athletic performance is far from the only factor. What you're looking for is the sweet-spot between declining physical attributes and rising skills.

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    1/18/2008 11:34am

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracky McSlugHoot
    HGH, guys, H-G-H. Maybe they'll have improved it in a few years and he can take something that'll let him grow a few inches, LOL.
    He's a half-inch shorter than Vanderlei Silva, and he seems competitive at LHW.
    Undisputed KING OF ASSHOLES.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234