Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/17/2008 1:37am

Style: Krotty/Crapple/Goonery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for posting the whole progression. However i do have to nitpick one thing:

Quote Originally Posted by Dagon Akujin
    Another thing to point out was that on the broadcast they rules stated that groin strikes were banned and that rule was seemingly upheld as no one did any groin strikes.
    As I said earlier Zane Frazier did use a groin strike, that did score a direct hit, and he wasn't called on it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/17/2008 4:33am

Style: VT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to have UFC 4 , 5 & 6 on Vhs- In fact i still do somewhere.

Hoo Ha!

Posted On:
    1/17/2008 8:10am

supporting member
     Style: San Da, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Eye gouges were allowed! (kind of), you just got like a $10 000 fine for doing it though. So if you did eye gouge someone you were not disqualified, just penalised.

Artemis BJJ Co-Founder/Instructor

Posted On:
    1/17/2008 8:27am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Artemis BJJ | Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Bristol Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you have a Region 2 or multi-region player, you can get all the old UFCs at FightDVD. I've bought from 1 up til 18 from there, along with Pride 1-10. No extras, but each box has two events, normally 15. You can also get things like the Pride 2000 GP, and the Ultimate Ultimates (which are normally hard to find).

History wise, people who haven't already should be reading Clyde Gentry's No Holds Barred (which is what I've largely based my history post on, along with some newspaper articles. Will be doing one for UFC 2 shortly). To a lesser degree, there are things like Shamrock's Inside the Lions Den and Beyond the Lions Den (much, much less well written than Gentry, but still has some interesting info, and a different take on the fights), and there's a little in Kid Peligro's The Gracie Way. Newspaper searches are also interesting: Factiva, for example.

In terms of podcasts, worth checking out Eddie Goldman: has regular interviews with people from back in the day, like John Perretti (who set up Extreme Fighting, a MMA promotion with weight classes and gloves before the UFC had them, but unfortunately only lasted 4 events. Available in a cut form on DVD)

If anyone has some other recommendations for reading, I'd love to hear them: very much enjoy checking out the history of UFC, as well as BJJ (though due to not speaking Portuguese, means there are a bunch of BJJ history books I'll never get to read).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/17/2008 3:26pm

Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It should also be noted that the "rules" were enforced a little bit differently in the first few UFCs. If you violated a rule, rather than getting disqualified, you were simply fined and the fight continued. A good example of this is John Hess vs. Andy Anderson at UFC 5. Hess destroyed Anderson's eyeball with repeated gouges and still won the fight, though he made little to no money as a result of his actions.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/17/2008 4:41pm

Style: Injured for 1+ years

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    UFC 1-7 are widely available on bittorrent. It's easy to download and it doesn't take much time.

Go to any bittorrent search engine, like isohunt or something. Type in UFC and then organize by size. It should be in the top 5 search results.

There is also a larger and harder to download collection of like every single UFC out there somewhere.
    Last edited by h_sh_m; 1/17/2008 4:44pm at .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123