BJJ Suckee

Posted On:
    1/16/2008 8:48pm

Style: Relson GJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thatrugbyguy
    I just checked the DVD, it was no eye gouges, no biting, no groin shots

Again, there were groin shots in UFC 2. There was only one successful use of the groin shot and that was Keith Hackney against Joe Son. However, Joe Son sucked so it's not that much of an impression.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    1/16/2008 9:16pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, as I understand it, since there were no judges or points or anything, penalties were enforced by taking money out of your contract. Thus, you could still eye gouge and win your fight, you'd just lose a thousand bucks.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/16/2008 9:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    UFC 2, and UFC 2 alone, happened to have a strange and unusual rule in place: No ref stoppages. That explains the 2 or 3 prolonged asswhoopings. It might've not been a problem if the cornermen threw in the towel once in a while. Look at Pat Smith vs. Scott Morris; after the match, Smith gets up and starts shouting stuff at Robert Bussey ( Who was the cornerman for Morris). Smith wasn't showboating..... He was yelling at Bussey to throw in the towel.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/16/2008 9:45pm

Style: Krotty/Crapple/Goonery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MacWombat
    Again, there were groin shots in UFC 2. There was only one successful use of the groin shot and that was Keith Hackney against Joe Son. However, Joe Son sucked so it's not that much of an impression.
    Yes, I was talking about UFC 1, although that rule didn't stop Zane Frasier from delivering a hard knee directly into Kevin Rosier's nuts, which was not called.

Nor did this knee stop Rosier from stomping Frasier's head in for that matter.

Posted On:
    1/16/2008 10:52pm

Style: Kyokushin Karate / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've seen UFC 1,2 and 7. In all honesty groin attacks, hair pulling, etc are obviously techniques you would use in 'teh de4dly stre3tz' in order to disable an opponent.

Just not something I like seeing in tournaments, and I was unware that the first 10 or so were underground-esch.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/16/2008 11:44pm

Style: Delving into MMA...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    a buddy of mine has netflix and hes been watching the old ufc events but im not sure how far back netflix goes

although i would dare say they'd have them all as my friends who had it all said they would always find what they were looking for

BJJ Suckee

Posted On:
    1/17/2008 12:16am

Style: Relson GJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ADM
    I've seen UFC 1,2 and 7. In all honesty groin attacks, hair pulling, etc are obviously techniques you would use in 'teh de4dly stre3tz' in order to disable an opponent.

Just not something I like seeing in tournaments, and I was unware that the first 10 or so were underground-esch.

The only good use of "dirty tactics" I saw employed in the early UFCs was when Royce used Kimo's hair as a handle. The pulling of the hair wasn't what was important, just the grip it gave him.

"I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"

DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)

Posted On:
    1/17/2008 1:09am

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Crap. Doesn't anyone use wikipedia around here? The "Dark Period" of UFC, where they were not on PPV, was from UFC 23-29. However, a lot of PPV stopped showing it starting with UFC 10, due to John McCain, really. Heck, I watched 3 live, as well as all of the ones up through where they "banned" punching in UFC 9. I had rented 2 at Blockbuster before 3 happened, and made sure all of my friends watched it.

Hair pulling and other things were legal, but sometimes fighters would make deals with each other not to do them (two longhairs agreed to no hair pulling in UFC 4, because in UFC 3 Royce pulled Kimo's hair quite a bit to keep Kimo from what might have else been the first GnP victory. He pulled Kimo's ponytail off in that fight).

UFC 1 - Although the advertising said there are no rules, there were in fact some rules: no biting, no eye-gouging, and rounds were to last five minutes, although no match in the first tournament lasted that long. Fights ended only in the event of a knockout, a submission, usually signalled by tapping the hand three times on the mat or opponent, or by the corner throwing in the towel. Despite this, the first match in UFC 1 was won by referee stoppage, even though it was not officially recognized as such at the time. Another thing to point out was that on the broadcast they rules stated that groin strikes were banned and that rule was seemingly upheld as no one did any groin strikes.

UFC 2 - Time limits were dropped. Groin strikes were unbanned. Modifications to the cage were added (higher fences and less floor padding.)

UFC 3 - The referee was officially given the authority to stop a fight in case of a fighter being unable to defend himself. A fighter could not kick if he was wearing shoes. This rule would be discarded in later competitions.

UFC 4 - After tournament alternate Steve Jennum won UFC 3 by winning only one bout, alternates (replacements) were required to win a pre-tournament bout to qualify for the role of an alternate.

UFC 5 - The organizers introduced a 30-minute time limit. UFC 5 also saw the first Superfight, a one-off bout between two competitors selected by the organizers with the winner being crowned 'Superfight champion' and having the duty of defending his title at the next UFC.

UFC 6 - The referee was given the authority to restart the fight. If two fighters were entangled in a position where there was a lack of action, the referee could stop the fight and restart the competitors on their feet, in their own corner. In UFC 6 they officially adopted the 5 minute extension to the 30 minute rule which had been used in UFC 5.

UFC 8 - Time limit changed to 10 minutes in the first two rounds of the tournament, 15 minutes in the tournament final and Superfight. Fights could now be decided by a judges decision if the fight reached the end of the time limit. The panel was made up of three judges who simply raised a card with the name of the fighter they considered to be the winner. In this fashion, a draw was not possible since the only two possible outcomes of a decision were 3 to 0 or 2 to 1 in favor of the winner.

UFC 9 - Closed fisted strikes were not allowed. The commentators were not aware of this last minute rule that was made to prevent the cancellation of the event due to local political pressures. Referee "Big John" McCarthy made repeated warnings to the fighters to "open the hand" when this rule was violated. However, not one fighter was reprimanded.

Ultimate Ultimate 1996 This event was the first to introduce the "no grabbing of the fence" rule.

UFC 12 - The main tournament was split into a heavyweight and lightweight division; and the eight-man tournament was abandoned. Fighters now needed to win only two fights to win the competition. The Heavyweight Champion title (and title bouts) was introduced, replacing the Superfight title (albeit matches were still for a time branded as "Superfights").

UFC 14 - The wearing of padded gloves, weighing 110 to 170 g (4 to 6 ounces), becomes mandatory. Gloves were to be approved by the UFC.

UFC 15 - Limits on permissible striking areas were introduced. Headbutts, groin strikes, strikes to the back of the neck and head, kicks to a downed opponent, small joint manipulation, and hair-pulling became illegal.

UFC 21 - Five minute rounds were introduced, with preliminary bouts consisting of two rounds, regular non-title bouts at three rounds, and title bouts at 5 five minute rounds. The "ten point must system" was introduced for scoring fights (identical to the system widely used in boxing).

UFC 28 - The New Jersey Athletic Control Board sanctions its first UFC event, using the newly developed Unified Rules of Mixed Martial Arts. Major changes to the UFC's rules included barring knee strikes to the head of a downed opponent, and elbow strikes to the spine and neck. Limits on permissible ring attire, stringent medical requirements, and regulatory oversight were also introduced. A new weight class system was also introduced.[32] This new set of rules is currently the de facto standard for MMA events held in the USA and is still in use by the UFC.

UFC 31 - Weight classes are re-aligned to the current standard. Bantamweight moves from 150 to 155 and becomes known as Lightweight. Lightweight becomes known as Welterweight, Middleweight becomes Light Heavyweight, and a new Middleweight class is introduced at 185.

There are some other small rule things that wikipedia doesn't mention. Time limits were different in just about every tournament from UFC 5 to 8. And I could have sworn that fish-hooking was out by UFC 4.

Dagon

"I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"

DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)

Posted On:
    1/17/2008 1:30am

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And while I see the fish hooking in Oleg vs. Tank, I don't see any damage from it:
    http://loadup.ru/video/view/?id=v1242670b32

P.S. Oleg is a cyborg.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast