Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/05/2003 2:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bruce Lee and Strength Training

I don't know if he's considered over-rated or what, but he did seem to have a decent grasp on strength training, especially considering the times.

Very good article, IMO....

Bruce Lee and Strength Training
    Last edited by Nid; 11/05/2003 2:20pm at .

WEIGHTING

Posted On:
    11/07/2003 12:25pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think Bruce had the ultimate physique. I'd rather study newer training methods though since they've proably made advances since his time.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/07/2003 2:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Naturally. There'd certainly be refinements since then, but basically, what the human body responds to has not changed in thousands of years. Bruce wasn't neccesarily ahead of his time, but he certainly transcended the time he was in. That was the Joe Wieder era of über volume, after all.

I look at ancient greek statues of athletes, strong men from the turn of the century, and modern day trainees. It reaffirms the fundamental simplicity of what we're trying to do for the fact that of those guys back then had vastly differing regiments (between themselves and relative to us), yet still accomplished incredible feats of strength. It all boils down to operating under an umbrella of general principles. I daresay "weights" as we know them are nothing more but a modern convience. Nothing against rocks and barrels, but the only difference I see is analagous to the TV; having a handy remote, or having to get up and change it yourself. Same net result.
  4. 9chambers

Posted On:
    11/07/2003 5:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    11/08/2003 3:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Blankslate :

The major problem with Lees Physique is that its nearly Impossible to Duplicate due to a Convergence of Factors that are , well , highly Improbable you would be willing to Reproduce .

1) Bruce Used Steroids .
    Nothing new here , pretty much everyone did back then , theyre just SO much harder to get now .

2) Bruce used Diuretics , HEAVILY .
    Again , far harder to Obtain the GOOD ones than it used to be , due to Federal Prosecution , and the current anti-Steroid Climate/Attitude held by the Public .

3) Bruce had only one Testicle .
    This isnt a Slam or an Attack in any way . It jsut means that his Physiological Response to Weight Trainng was only , well , less than 2/3 of what a Normal Males would be . His physique was , for lack of a better way to put it , more Feminine than normal due to the Lack of normal Testosterone levels in his system .

I dont have time to look for the References , just look for **** like "Bruce Lee" Tesicle on google if you cant bring yourself to "believe" me .

Oh , I also dont think very much of his Workout Programme , but with the Steroids it really dosent matter that much WHAT the **** you do . But , AGAIN < Steroids werent looked at to be as "Bad" then as they are now .

WEIGHTING

Posted On:
    11/09/2003 4:48am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks D. To me his physique still presents an image, a goal if you will, that I would still try to work towards.

WEIGHTING

Posted On:
    11/09/2003 4:49am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just remembered....I used to tell folks that BRuce was the definition of...DEFINITION!!!

Posted On:
    11/09/2003 5:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bruce Lee had one testicle huh? I can't seem to find any info on that anywhere...

Posted On:
    11/09/2003 6:02pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't bother buying the book that supposedly runs over his workout routines, Art of Expressing the Human body. The whole series is really just a cash-in on the Bruce Lee name, and any other serious martial artist will tell you to follow similar workout routines. Maybe bring a pad of paper to the book store and copy down the actual scans of Lee's notes, but the rest of the interpreted book isn't worth it.

I own it :(

Posted On:
    11/10/2003 3:25am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Blankslate :

The problem with Sporting that kind of BF% is that youre pretty relatively Weak wile youre there . Bodybuilders that cut down to that level OFTEN have to be carted off to the Hospital after Shows , and NO ONE can Lift the numbers that they can when their in a more normal BF% Range I know this SEEMS adverse to what were are told is supposed to be "Manly" , but think about who wins Worlds Strongest Man Competitions . It aint Bodybuilders with 4% Bodyfat .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast