Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/16/2008 2:09pm

Style: Roshi Hermit Karate/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Okinawan Karate

This is a very interesting school, and it is filled with character to say the least. The main instructer has been studying karate since the vietnam war and has brought his kids and family into this traditional Karate school.

Not only is family values prevelant, but there is also a long history of karate masters.

From 6:00 to 700 A kids clas is offered.
    On Mondays, there is a session just for white belts about an hour long.

Classes are usually all week except Fridays and Sundays. A regular class last from an hour to and hour and thirty minutes.

Aliveness:

You must always do something, there shouldn't be a moment when you are not doing something. The days have a pattern. On Tuesday, you work on blocks and reaction, infact, reaction is constantly stressed to the class. On Wednesdays they Sensei helps you with Kata the entire class. Thursdays in power development and sparring(no punches to the head.) If they see you not using a technique correctly, they will tell you the what nots and do's. Saturday is also power and sparring, The sparring itself is light sparring, and sometimes they will do heavy sparring. Sparring lasts for a minute and thirty(I think.) and you go at it until the timer runs out. Usually you spar about 4 times. I said earlier it was interesting, I say this because of the conflict between a sensei and his son. On certain days we will learn some MMA, and after class we will practice our grappling, ground work, and judo. A lot of the students have a background martial arts behind them, and they are more than willing to show you the move.

Equipment
    : The school has a vast weapon selection, ranging from Kali sticks, to bokkens, bo's, and daggers. There is a thin layer of a foam on the floor.

Size: It is set inside of a sports center, it can get full fast with 12 students attending.

Atmosphere: It can definetly be a stressful enviroment. A few of the students have attitude, not everyone truly gets along. Regardless some of the students are willing to help newcomers.

Striking: This is the one thing that the school takes it's pride in. The most powerful kick we are taught to practice is our sidekick. A roundhouse isn't all that favored compaired to the sidekick and combinations are constantly preached.

Instructor/student ratio:
    When I first joined, I didn't work with an instructor until 50 minutes into the class. I had a greenbelt teach me a lot of the things, and this served as a major drawback for my learning. No offence to the green belt, but he didn't kick properly and he constantly critized my kicks. I didn't get my horse stance or blocks fixed until the sensei stepped in. It took a while to adjust. It took months before I would get it right and whenever I would practice in class he would sometimes confuse me by saying I was doing it wrong. Once again, the instructor told him differently.
    That same day I joined the Instructor was fairly nice and gave out some example on how to get into a proper horse stance. The problem with the green belt was he expected I could do all these things, this wasn't the best first day and because of his constant criticism I nearly quit if it wasn't for some of the other students.

weapons
    : I have just joined, the only weapons I have seen used are nun-chaku and Bo staffs.

Grappling: There is hardly any grappling, we do learn some scjj, but we only learn jiu-jitsu when the sensei is there and that is once a week.
    Last edited by Uncle_Phil; 1/16/2008 2:15pm at .

Posted On:
    1/16/2008 3:05pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Decent review.

What is SCJJ?
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/16/2008 3:08pm

Style: Roshi Hermit Karate/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PizDoff
    Decent review.

What is SCJJ?
    I was too lazy to type it out, it's Small circle Jujutsu, joint manipulation that can chambered into throws.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/17/2008 4:08am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: goju ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    kind of expensive

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/25/2009 10:53am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shohei~Ryu Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Im with Tony on that one, A little expensive for the size.

Posted On:
    1/25/2009 11:51am

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    75 a month for small classes is a fine price.

I'm concerned that the aliveness score is wrong due to not understanding what aliveness is. Also, why is grappling 1 if "On certain days we will learn some MMA, and after class we will practice our grappling, ground work, and judo." and weapons 1 if they use all sorts? Does N/A not work?

Sucks that the green belt was lost. At my judo dojo they had me just follow along or sit out my first day (except for a turnover and kesagatame). At my karate school we have browns or greens work with new people--usually it's fine but occasionally they will screw something up. Unless the instructor is working with you directly, I think that's par for the course.

Good review overall tho.