Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/15/2008 8:30am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: ...Looking...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Combating Soreness and Other PT N00bery

To preface this, yes, I'm pretty out of shape. I've been doing about fourty minutes of cardio every day for quite a year, at least, but haven't done any muscle training in a long itme.

So, I had my first day of Muay Thai last Wednesday. I must say, it righteously kicked my ass. It consisted of about 75 minutes of something between strength training and cardio. I intended to go to class on Saturday, but was still pretty sore and couldn't maintain push-up position (by extension, holding my hands up in guard hurt, but was doable). Monday (yesterday), I still could at least maintain the position, but couldn't actually do one. My first question is nigh: Do I go ahead tomorrow and go to class even if my condition doesn't improve? Is there any danger to my health if I just go and do the best I can?

My secondary question is, how do I reduce muscle soreness in the future? I am actually going to plan ahead this week and make a shake so I can consume sugars (glucose) and protein (whey) immediately following the exercise to prevent catabolism. Should I be consuming this during class, since it takes place over a fairly long period of time compared to most weight training? Creatine and L-glutamine seem they would help with the recovery time somewhat, is there anything essential I'm missing?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/15/2008 8:55am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Stil-Tu-Fat Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi,

I've noticed that after about two weeks of regular strength exercising the soreness was gone and my muscles just feel tired but not sore (the toothbrush seems to be particularly heavy after a workout). In the first couple of weeks I actually was pretty sore, and soreness stayed with me for about 5 days after the workout. Basically I was working out 3 times a week, but I couldn't do a whole body workout every time, so I was alternating muscle groups to give the sore ones more rest.
    After two or three weeks I switched to whole body exercises and I don't really feel sore for more than a day. However maybe I'm not pushing myself hard enough.

I'm sure someone more experienced will be answer your question better. I'm just giving you my out-of-shape point of view.

Out of curiosity can you give some more details about the exercises performed during your class? Thanks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/15/2008 10:35am

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As your body adapts to the workout, you get less sore. Whenever you're starting a new physical activity, your body is still reacting to the micromovement nuances of it. Think about how different Muay Thai is from your daily workout or movement routine. Just give it time.

Same thing happened to me in jiujitsu. First month KICKED MY ASS. By the second month, to get sore would require something extraordinary, like a particularly tough sparring session.

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    1/15/2008 11:25am

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think your body is just adjusting to the intensity. Keep it up and the soreness should go away. Get enough potassium and water to avoid dehydration and cramps. Also, man up.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/15/2008 11:36am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Question
    Also, man up.
    Working on it.

-

Still, do I go do it if I'm still sore and therefore unable to do a lot of stuff, or do I wait until the soreness goes away each time?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/15/2008 11:46am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k
    Out of curiosity can you give some more details about the exercises performed during your class? Thanks.
    Well, class generally starts with some mix of skipping rope, various sorts of push ups, mountain climbers, various sorts of crunches, whatever that thing where you move between push up position and jumping is called, and the like for about twenty minutes back to back. This **** tires me out entirely more than it should. After that we do drills for about 40 minutes. The drills qualify as exercises in themselves, for me at least, since there's a fair amount of muscle used in just holding up guard as well as kicking, punching and receiveing those strikes. After that, it's a few bouts of sparring (10-15 minutes) and we call it a day. In other words, nothing earth shattering or all that unusual.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/15/2008 1:03pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Stil-Tu-Fat Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the info! Pushup-jumping thingy - burpies. Hate them wholeheartedly. After 20 I just roll over and play dead.
    Good luck, I'm sure that in 3 weeks you won't have problems with these exercises.

And here you'll find some basic info about post workout soreness:
    http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/injuries/a/doms.htm
    Last edited by j2k; 1/15/2008 1:06pm at .

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    1/15/2008 1:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Glutamine and Chrondroitin sulfate and claucasimine

Buy it and some whey protein powder, also some high end viatamins

make a shake with a banana

take it daily

(goes to make a shake for lunch)

Posted On:
    1/15/2008 1:31pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like you, I'm an out of shape guy with injuries to work around. Since the New Year, I made a commitment to get back in shape and train regularly.

Yeah, I'm another New Year's Resolution tool.

El Macho has some great info on recovery and injury prevention, but let me quickly recommend a few things.

1. Max doses of Glucosamine, Chondroitin, and MSM. Available at all drug and fitness stores.

2. Drink a recovery shake after every work out. 8 oz of milk works fine, though I've heard Emevas and El Macho recommend chocolate milk and fruit juice for absorption.

3. Creatine. Safe, reliable, and cheap. It really is a great supplement.

4. Glutamine and other essential amino acids. I prefer an "all in one" supplement shake, since I'm kind of lazy.

5. Fish oil. LOTS of fish oil. It's like a healthy ibuprofen that actually creates lasting protection for your joints.

6. Vitamin C. El Macho is all about the C.

7. Stretch. This is huge, especially if you are out of your 20s. Stretch a lot.

8. Hot baths and cold ice. Ice injuries immediately, soak fatigued muscles after training. This, alone, has helped me avoid injuries tremendously.

Other than that, train smart, tap often, and good luck.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    1/15/2008 8:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Regarding #2, I don't think I've ever personally suggested milk PWO, just because I'm a PWO psuedo science fag and suggest whey in water with equal amounts dextrose and maltodextrin. However, anything is better than nothing PWO.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69