Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    1/15/2008 8:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only reason Kat can't get fights is because she just doesn't want to fight the REAL competition...men.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    1/15/2008 10:12pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I get fights all the time, douche.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    1/15/2008 10:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is that your excuse for continuing to duck me?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2008 12:01pm

Style: MuayThai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I see both sides of this argument....

As a former fighter & current coach, the professional/amateur labels can end up being a deterrent to getting some guys good matchups. Especially since one of the fighters I work with is a girl at barely 100 lbs who hasn't been able to get a fight in 3 years now. She only has 3 amateur matches and has a record of 1-1-1, but the only offers we're getting are international and pro fights.

As a promoter, however, I have to draw the line. If you have fought professionally, you cannot return to the amateur ranks. End of story. Even if an amateur has more experience against better competition than the pro fighter, the match simply cannot happen. If anything untowards happens, it will come back on the promoter, even if both camps are made aware of the situation ahead of time and agree to it.

Most reputable sanctioning bodies WILL NOT ALLOW this to occur. Where I promote, in the state of Virginia, the state itself has set the law. But let's say that both camps agree to the terms, and I would allow these two to fight. The amateur, even being more experienced, gets hurt. Neither camp raises a fuss. The sanctioning body doesn't raise a fuss. The state doesn't raise a fuss. BUT, there are going to be plenty of people who become aware of the match and the results, and suddenly my name and reputation are "MUD". It won't matter the circumstances, but anyone hearing about me in the future will only know that I was the guy who let an amateur get hurt in the ring fighting against a professional, and I will have a hard time convincing reputable fighters and gyms to compete on any of my future events.

Let's make a long story short.... Fighters must very carefully weigh the pro's & con's of any decision they make regarding their fight careers, because once you go pro, there is no going back!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234