Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    1/14/2008 11:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Didn't catch that. Don't worry about functional strength. If you are strong, it will function.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/14/2008 11:56pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    Gaining muscle and lowering bodyfat % will require a gain of weight. To lose fat, you must have a calorie deficit. To gain muscle, you need a calorie surplus. You can not lose fat and still reduce your bodyfat% by gaining muscle mass, because then your percentage of your body that is fat is less, because you have effectively created more body. Otherwise though, your goals are not compatable.

Don't worry about bodybuilding. Even if you wanted to do it, you most likely wouldn't be able to do it. However, to gain more muscle, you're going to need to eat big. If you want to keep your bodyfat low while gaining, do your research and keep your diet water tight. If you are ok with putting on a little more fat to cut away later in your quest, eat big, lift big, sleep big, and once you are big, try to cut some fat.
    That fucking hurt my head. I will never understand weight cutting vs. muscle burning. Here's my strategy for weight cutting if anyone's interested ... I'm doing it as we speak ...

Taking a vacation in a tropical country. Watch the diet. Do lots of cardio and isometric exercies. Weights are not an option here. There aren't any. Jog a few miles up and down the beach every day. I reccomend low tide. The firm wet sand gives the best footing. The only high caloric intake should be Margaritas and the local lager. Popping Thermogenics to speed up the calorie burn (Dr. El Macho's advice).

I'll be back in civilization next week to check my weight and start lifting and MA again. Don't even have a scale here, but I can feel the fat burning off running on the beach and skipping rope every day. :toothy5:

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    1/15/2008 12:00am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Burning fat is very easy. So is gaining muscle. For some reason, most folks don't have the patience to do one at a time. That's what makes things difficult.
    "Emevas,

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/15/2008 12:18am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Burning fat is very easy. So is gaining muscle. For some reason, most folks don't have the patience to do one at a time. That's what makes things difficult.
    I have a question (pertinent to tonight). If I add single malt scotch as part of my vacation fat burning program, will that throw me off? ...

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    1/15/2008 12:20am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your body will store it as fat. Your body cannot actually use the calories from alcohol as a fuel, and simply stores it.

I don't know much about alcohol (I don't drink it), so I don't really know how much it will impact you, but one drink shouldn't be too bad.
    "Emevas,

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    1/15/2008 1:06am

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Of course burning fat is easy. It's staying away from tasty food that's hard.

Also keeping to any kind of good diet is very hard for me. I quickly get sick of it and it all goes to hell.

Why can't I be 16 again?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/15/2008 9:02am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Stil-Tu-Fat Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks for the info! It helps a lot.

Staying away from chocolates/donuts etc is killing me :)

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/15/2008 9:42am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Poop Loops
    Of course burning fat is easy. It's staying away from tasty food that's hard.
    QFT. My weakness has been sweets more than fats. Recently (and unintentionally) I switched to Japanese and Chinese cakes which are less suggary than the blocks of sugar we Latins use for sweets.

I saw my weight fluctuate for a few weeks until settling down, and I dropped more than one jeans size in less than two weeks. That's the power of food for ya.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/15/2008 10:28am

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Even though muscle burns more calories than fat, a pound of muscle in fact only burns 16 calories extra. Adding 10 pounds of muscles burns you only enough calories to drink an extra can of soda a day, so proper diet and nutrition is still key.

But one question I have, does anyone know the ratio of muscle loss to fat loss when you're dropping weight through diet and cardio? Because I know if you don't continue to do weights while you're burning calories your body will shed muscle as well as fat. I'm just curious as to how much muscle is lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    I saw my weight fluctuate for a few weeks until settling down, and I dropped more than one jeans size in less than two weeks. That's the power of food for ya.
    That's why I use the power of ***** as a motivator. :toothy5:

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/15/2008 11:27am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Stil-Tu-Fat Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    QFT. My weakness has been sweets more than fats.
    Tell me about it, I practically sell chocolates for living :happy7:
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast