Posted On:
    1/14/2008 9:14pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Stil-Tu-Fat Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Losing weight while gaining muscles?

Hello everybody!

I've finally lost a bit of weight and I'm more or less at my target long term weight - 78kg (172lbs) - I'm 180cm (or 5'11"). The thing is that I'm still quite far away from my desired muscle mass. Basically a pissed off rabbit will kick my ass .

I'm trying to eat about 600-700 calories less than my required maintenance level (2200 + whatever workouts I do) and with the exercises it works pretty well for loosing weight.
    I'm not really seeing all that much improvement in my strength (probably makes sense).

I'm wondering what is more effective. Adjust my caloric intake to more or less my maintenance now and focus more on weights, trying to stay at my current weight, or just lose a couple more kilograms and start from below my target eating a bit more than my maintenance.

What are your opinions?

Thanks!

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    1/14/2008 9:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You have brought up two entirely different concerns: lacking muscle mass and lacking strength. Which is it that you desire? You CAN gain strength on a calorie deficit diet, but not mass.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/14/2008 9:34pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the reply!
    Ok, I didn't actually realise that these two are different. It explains a bit.
    I certainly gained strength. Compared to a level from before I started exercising quite a lot, but not as much as I want to. Right now I'd like to gain muscle mass and lower my fat percentage without gaining weight.

I'm not interested in bodybuilding but in more functional strength and if possible I want to avoid a regular gym due to my daily schedule.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/14/2008 9:58pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oh noes you used the word....

I have lost a great deal of weight while gaining alot of muscle. Why do you want to lose weight? Going on the assumption (fact), that muscle is denser than fat, if you replace fat space with muscle space you will gain weight. Are you trying to go up in weight for a competition?
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    1/14/2008 10:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In a little more than a year I gained 25 pounds of muscle and a lost a lot of fat. I basically ate a lot, lifted weights and did lots of cardio (mostly Martial Arts and soccer).

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/14/2008 10:58pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Right now I'm down about 1kg every two-three weeks. What I'd like to be able to do is to stay at my current weight, but still loose about the same amount of fat while replacing it with muscle. But I'm not sure how realistic it is and whether it wouldn't be better to go down with the weight a couple more kilos and then work on building muscle and reaching my target weight.

I'm not training for competition ;) just want to get in shape

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    1/14/2008 11:05pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gaining muscle and lowering bodyfat % will require a gain of weight. To lose fat, you must have a calorie deficit. To gain muscle, you need a calorie surplus. You can not lose fat and still reduce your bodyfat% by gaining muscle mass, because then your percentage of your body that is fat is less, because you have effectively created more body. Otherwise though, your goals are not compatable.

Don't worry about bodybuilding. Even if you wanted to do it, you most likely wouldn't be able to do it. However, to gain more muscle, you're going to need to eat big. If you want to keep your bodyfat low while gaining, do your research and keep your diet water tight. If you are ok with putting on a little more fat to cut away later in your quest, eat big, lift big, sleep big, and once you are big, try to cut some fat.
    "Emevas,

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    1/14/2008 11:08pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's a question:

Muscle burns calories. If you gain muscle, you burn calories. So, if you gain muscle by lifting and keep your calories the same, would you eventually burn fat?

Or what?

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    1/14/2008 11:09pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To put on that muscle, you will need to eat a surplus of calories. Once you have put on that muscle, your body will require more calories for maintenence. If you eat below that maintenence level, you will burn fat and some muscle.

Effectively yes.
    "Emevas,

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/14/2008 11:18pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

must... resist...

Quote Originally Posted by j2k
    Thanks for the reply!
    Ok, I didn't actually realise that these two are different. It explains a bit.
    I certainly gained strength. Compared to a level from before I started exercising quite a lot, but not as much as I want to. Right now I'd like to gain muscle mass and lower my fat percentage without gaining weight.

I'm not interested in bodybuilding but in more functional strength and if possible I want to avoid a regular gym due to my daily schedule.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 1 of 9 1 2345 ... LastLast