Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/15/2008 10:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just read your post on the Ranger. When I was really young and even more stupid than I am these days I tried to tell three Army soldiers that we could take on one Ranger. They stepped back out of the way, shaking their heads at my idiocy, and then he brought me to my knees with the dreaded belly pinch. Felt like he had vice grips for fingers. Dern show off.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/15/2008 10:09pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: northern shaolin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bran Lydster
    Is this http://www.awolarmysurplus.net/1981497.html also part of the same cobra kai?

And if you would tell me what does the 'Kai' in Cobra Kai mean and what does the 'os master' mean on the page that details Abbates 'professional credentials' please?

Thank you for your interest.

I went to the web site that you posted, and it is our logo, , and they do have a school listed in Lakemoor Il. (I live in Co. now.)

All I can think is that it is a school, and martail arts supply, but they wouldnt sell anything there that you couldnt get online from someone else.It looks like a combination Kwoon, martial arts supply, and army surplus.I think tommarrow I will contact them, and find out more.This is an interesting development.I have a friend that lives in the area, and I will send him on a fact finding tour.

The Kai in Cobra Kai means warrior.Our style is called in China ,Tai Kit Kuen, which means the Grand Snake Fist.The name was changed to Cobra Kai by Sgt Walker, who taught Grandmaster(GM) Abbate who brought it to America.

Im not sure at this time what the os means in his credintails, but I will look for that page.

I hope that I have answered your questions to your satisfaction.If you have more questions, please feel free to ask.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/15/2008 10:21pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by patfromlogan
    Just read your post on the Ranger. When I was really young and even more stupid than I am these days I tried to tell three Army soldiers that we could take on one Ranger. They stepped back out of the way, shaking their heads at my idiocy, and then he brought me to my knees with the dreaded belly pinch. Felt like he had vice grips for fingers. Dern show off.

Thanks for your honesty, it is refreshing.Bill( Ranger) never did anything like that in class, but let me tell you that I was chosen to fight him on the day he was promoted to 2nd degree.

I out wieghed him by about 40 pounds, and we were both in top shape.We got into fighting stance, and touched hands, and Master Abbate said Go!!!!

He is the only person that I ever fought, besides other instructors that I just couldnt beat.He knocked me out of the circle, and I looked at Master Abbate, and said Shitttt, and got back in.I had to fight him so hard that I was telling myself that I had to kill him.He saw the look in my eye's, and was taken back, and we still kept fighting.I eventually knocked him out, and it was called a draw.He was beter then me.I had to take it to the limit just to keep up with him.To this day I still call him friend.

Posted On:
    1/16/2008 8:35am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread is almost as good as RunningDog's Wing Chun Diary. Evetsm1155,in a short time you have really proven yourself an asset to this board (well, at least in my eyes). Pat, that type of pinch is called a Horsebite (for obvious reasons) it is done using the tips of your fingers against the meaty part of your palm. Good target areas are the tricep area, inside the thighs and the lower torso. The less skin you catch in the pinch the more painful it is for your opponent. I have used this against other crapplers with good results, grapplers not so much. Using your thumb against the middle of your forefinger is another variation. I always wondered if there are prohibitions against using pinches in BJJ/MMA matches.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/16/2008 8:53am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    <slight derail>
    I always wondered if there are prohibitions against using pinches in BJJ/MMA matches.
    Oh no you didn't.
    </slight derail>
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Posted On:
    1/16/2008 9:05am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay Cyrijl, I obviously made some sort of faux pas but if you could enlighten me I'd appreciate it.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/16/2008 9:08am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i'll send you a pm as to not derail.
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/16/2008 9:08am

Style: VT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread is insaine:bduh:
    I'm losing all perspective but the more i read the more detached Ive become with reality.

In fact when i go training later today Im gonna demand my instructor kicks me in the face while i do press ups.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    1/16/2008 9:13am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by evetsm1155
    I have been in the Arts for 29 years now.I was fed up with Tae Kwon Do after a total of 3 months.So I found a great instructor in the suburbs of Chicago.His name was Sifu Abbate.He has recently died, and left this world with the title of Grandmaster.He taught a blend of Northern Shoalin Kung fu, and Marine Corp stlye of hand to hand combat.He was almost legendary in the area for his insane style of teaching.As a beginner we would do knucle push ups, and he was kicking us in the face.There were many times I would go home with lace marks on my face, and loved every minute of it.He would have us do sit ups, and punch us in the stomach until we couldnt move anymore.He would take us out to a telephone pole, and tell us to punch it until our knucles bled.Horse stance then hit us with a two by four, and we loved it.I was going for my Brown Sash, and my friend was in front of me for a self defense test.We would only use a Bowie Knife, a reallly sharp one.Well, Louie blew it.Instead of knocking the knife away it went right through the center of his hand.Blood every where.Someone took him to the hospital, and the test continued.I was next.Standing in mopped up blood, now it was my turn.This is what Im trying to convae.It was a really rough Kwoon.Now----- After his death things have changed to the point where the way we trained is considered old school.They dont even wear the gold stripe to give honour to Sgt Walker.They dont even wear Gia's anymore, they just wear street cloths.I cant even imagine one of thier Black Sash standing up to a Black sash from 20 years ago.All tradition has been lost, and along with the honour of being a Black Sash in Cobra KaI.

Steven Moore

Chin Hu Kai
    ...And
    Cobra Kai was the name of the style that was taught to PFC Abbate when he was stationed as a marine in Hawiaii.It was taught to him by Sgt. Walker(1967) who was the only"round eye" admitted to a Kwoon in China.After Sgt. Walker was listed missing in action, PFC Abbate was admitted to Tai Kit Kuen school in Hong Kong where he recieved his 2nd degree.At that point he called himself Sifu.He traveled the full contact circuit, and fought in Long Beach Ca.He won his wieght class, and Bruce Lee invited him for 2 weeks of free classes.It is there that he was noticed by Hollywood ,(only because they where there for Lee) and they took his name for thiers. He had the name Cobra Kai in the late 60s.your just to young to realize this fact.Im not blamming you, just trying to set the record straight.Martail Arts in America have been so watered down it is pitifull.They just want your money, and I believe that you just dont know any better.Like i said, its not your fault.If you feel that you want to send nasty replies to this, then be my guest, but it still wont change the truth, and yes, I maybe a bit of a masochist, but to be truley effective in the Arts you have to be.Apperantly you havent figured that out yet.You need more time in the Arts.
    ...And
    It is sincere. The training is hard only for one reason.It is to toughen you up so much that you fear no one.Like I said in an earlier post, Louie took the knife though the hand, and it was his mistake.He didnt learn anything from that, infact he quit .Once again, the point beiing, if you are approched with a knife in the street, your chances of survial are greater because you have faced it before in class.I tought a friend for two years, and at first he thought that I was crazy for the punishment that I gave him.Later he thanked me, saying he knows why now.I always told him to watch out for the dark side, and he would ask me what that meant, and I would never answer him, as I knew he would figure it out for himself.One day he looked me in the eye, and said, I understand now what you meant about the dark side.the dark side is the fact that you become so intense, and dangerous that the average person dosent stand a chance, and sometimes its hard not to use the power that you have spent years developing.I have known 2 Navy Seals, and 1 Ranger.Why do think that they train them to the degree that they do?It's so that no human being could possibly stand up to thier power, and force.Thank you for your regets for my loss, but it is a loss to the entire martail arts community.
    ...And
    I tryed to contact Inside Kung Fu Magazine about the article they wrote about GM Abbate, because they got it all wrong.No one from the mag would email me back or return my phone call.Sgt. Walker was stationed in Hawaii along with Abbate.Sgt. Walker was already a student, and 2nd degree black Sash in Tai kit Kuen which was located in Hong Kong.Some how, and it is not clear to me how, Sgt Walker trained in Hong Kong.Sgt Walker trained Pfc Abbate to first degree Black Sash, and upon the news that Sgt. Walker was MIA, Pfc Abbate went to Hong Kong after his release from active service, and trained, and was given a 2nd degree Black Sash.We were told over, and over again that we all wore a gold stripe on our pant leg to honour Sgt. Walkers memory.At the Kwoon now they dont even wear the traditional Black Gai's.Just street clothes.
    ...And
    Well I guess to many a kick to the face sounds alittle harsh, but when you go throuh it, it gives you an edge that I guess most wouldnt understand.What I mean by edge, is that you lose all thoughts, and concerns of the day, and concentrate only on the task at hand.It is emotional content that counts.That is a quote from Bruce Lee.That was why many joined, but few remained.Believe me when I say that used to go home, and look in the mirror, and wonder what in the heck I was doing, and the same time loving every moment of it.no one was ever injured with kicks to the face. In my opinion, and only that, it was worth it.After a couple of months that was dropped for more intense traing.Like horse stanse, and being told to tighten up, and then he would hit you with a Bo, or staff in the stomach.If you didnt do it right you would drop to the floor with the breath knocked out of you.It would teach you to lose your fear of being hit.It's called breath control.This is what I have been talking about all along, people jump around in the air, and show off fancy kicks, and punches, but never make contact, so they never know what it would be like to be in a real fight.Boards dont fight back, once again, Bruce Lee.I really dont blame people for not understanding.I know what we did, and I know what I know, and if people think that I am making it up then thats what they will believe.My only intention on this site was to honour the memory of GM Abbate.In the comming days I will answer a few more questions,or shed light on my comments, but after that I am done.
    Jesus fucking Christ man, use the return key a bit more.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/16/2008 9:23am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear1980
    This thread is insaine:bduh:
    I'm losing all perspective but the more i read the more detached Ive become with reality.

In fact when i go training later today Im gonna demand my instructor kicks me in the face while i do press ups.

I cant tell if your serious, or not, but your instructor probably wont kick you in the face, but if you are serious, try having him kick you in the ribs when you are doing your push ups. When you get up, be honest, and tell me that your not just alittle bit more focused on your training.
Page 5 of 77 FirstFirst 12345 67891555 ... LastLast