224908 Bullies, 3331 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 101 to 110 of 764
Page 11 of 77 FirstFirst ... 7891011 121314152161 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Rivington is offline
    Rivington's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    East Bay, CA
    Posts
    4,733

    Posted On:
    1/16/2008 12:20pm

    supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jackie Chan and Sammo Hung were beaten routinely by their teachers, it's true.

    Neither of them trained as fighters though.

    Are we sure Abbate wasn't a Grandmaster of As Seen on TV Opera House style?
  2. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,975

    Posted On:
    1/16/2008 1:14pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrijl
    haven't we heard this speech before?
    Yes.

    It tends to come when older TMAers are questioned. Some I repsect patfromlogan (even if we don't always agree) some I don't JFSUSA.

    It is that weird respect thing that isn't always necessary. This is what drove me out and drives me nuts to this day. Blind loyalty will lead you right off a cliff.
  3. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,975

    Posted On:
    1/16/2008 1:15pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington
    Jackie Chan and Sammo Hung were beaten routinely by their teachers, it's true.

    Neither of them trained as fighters though.

    Are we sure Abbate wasn't a Grandmaster of As Seen on TV Opera House style?
    Sammo Did. He was actually a street fighter.

    Jackie wasn't.
  4. Rivington is offline
    Rivington's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    East Bay, CA
    Posts
    4,733

    Posted On:
    1/16/2008 1:18pm

    supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    Sammo Did. He was actually a street fighter.
    No ****? I always liked him; thanks for letting me know.
  5. leec123 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    lincolnshire, england
    Posts
    693

    Posted On:
    1/16/2008 1:39pm


     Style: MT,full contact JJ,Sudoku

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    Sammo Did. He was actually a street fighter.

    Jackie wasn't.
    Thats odd, I just read Jackie Chans autobiog and he attended chinese opera school with sammo. Dont remember any mention of Sammo being a streetfighter. He apparently just got bitter after getting fat, and leaving the school then getting into stuntwork. Still i could have been glossed over. Not disputing your statement, just adding to it from teh info I had available.

    Anyway, i think we are digressing from the topic slightly haha
  6. pauli is offline

    i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    herndon, va, usa
    Posts
    3,521

    Posted On:
    1/16/2008 1:46pm

    supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yes. the topic is: the late grandmaster abbate was evidently a complete dick who terrorized and abused his students, resulting in the op.

    speaking of which: welcome to bullshido!
  7. Bran Lydster is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Bradford UK
    Posts
    309

    Posted On:
    1/16/2008 1:54pm


     Style: Full Contact Ju Jutsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Should we discuss:-

    The relevance of creating disassociative personalities through brutality disguised with affection, aka I am doing this for your own good?

    The elitist isolated group created by such ritualised brutality that believes it is the only correct style who have the reality, aka we have the real kung fu these other fools dont know the truth?

    The potential for being sued if you attempt to carry on this sado-masochistical conditioned reflex training with your own students?

    The potential for this approach to not weed out fear of the 'other men' but to instill bitterness and hostility into the subjects along with an arrogance because they are afraid of being otherwise?

    The possible misrepresentation of an alleged grand master of a kung fu style as if he a was a sadistic, delusional bully?
  8. Necroyunus is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Shanghai
    Posts
    908

    Posted On:
    1/16/2008 1:54pm


     Style: BJJ and MT at the moment

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oh pauli...and the op was live action role playing as a high wisdom do-master, but when he felt the pressure he started to whine saying "idiots,morons , go dont bother me leave me alone" etc.
  9. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,975

    Posted On:
    1/16/2008 1:58pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by leec123
    Thats odd, I just read Jackie Chans autobiog and he attended chinese opera school with sammo. Dont remember any mention of Sammo being a streetfighter. He apparently just got bitter after getting fat, and leaving the school then getting into stuntwork. Still i could have been glossed over. Not disputing your statement, just adding to it from teh info I had available.

    Anyway, i think we are digressing from the topic slightly haha
    Yes, you read JC's book. You have to read early articles and things from their Master. I didn't say he didn't train at the Peking Opera. He was a fat child that is known. Remember Jackie tends to paint others in a negative light.

    Sammo got into fights before and during his Peking opera training. It may have been because he was fat. I'm not saying he is some badass street fighter just, he did fight when he was young. Something Jackie didn't do.
  10. leec123 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    lincolnshire, england
    Posts
    693

    Posted On:
    1/16/2008 1:58pm


     Style: MT,full contact JJ,Sudoku

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bran Lydster
    Should we discuss:-

    The relevance of creating disassociative personalities through brutality disguised with affection, aka I am doing this for your own good?

    The elitist isolated group created by such ritualised brutality that believes it is the only correct style who have the reality, aka we have the real kung fu these other fools dont know the truth?

    The potential for being sued if you attempt to carry on this sado-masochistical conditioned reflex training with your own students?

    The potential for this approach to not weed out fear of the 'other men' but to instill bitterness and hostility into the subjects along with an arrogance because they are afraid of being otherwise?

    The possible misrepresentation of an alleged grand master of a kung fu style as if he a was a sadistic, delusional bully?
    This really should be in a more open forum
Page 11 of 77 FirstFirst ... 7891011 121314152161 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.