Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/14/2008 8:36pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: northern shaolin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The Loss Of My Grandmaster Abbate

I have been in the Arts for 29 years now.I was fed up with Tae Kwon Do after a total of 3 months.So I found a great instructor in the suburbs of Chicago.His name was Sifu Abbate.He has recently died, and left this world with the title of Grandmaster.He taught a blend of Northern Shoalin Kung fu, and Marine Corp stlye of hand to hand combat.He was almost legendary in the area for his insane style of teaching.As a beginner we would do knucle push ups, and he was kicking us in the face.There were many times I would go home with lace marks on my face, and loved every minute of it.He would have us do sit ups, and punch us in the stomach until we couldnt move anymore.He would take us out to a telephone pole, and tell us to punch it until our knucles bled.Horse stance then hit us with a two by four, and we loved it.I was going for my Brown Sash, and my friend was in front of me for a self defense test.We would only use a Bowie Knife, a reallly sharp one.Well, Louie blew it.Instead of knocking the knife away it went right through the center of his hand.Blood every where.Someone took him to the hospital, and the test continued.I was next.Standing in mopped up blood, now it was my turn.This is what Im trying to convae.It was a really rough Kwoon.Now----- After his death things have changed to the point where the way we trained is considered old school.They dont even wear the gold stripe to give honour to Sgt Walker.They dont even wear Gia's anymore, they just wear street cloths.I cant even imagine one of thier Black Sash standing up to a Black sash from 20 years ago.All tradition has been lost, and along with the honour of being a Black Sash in Cobra KaI.

Steven Moore

Chin Hu Kai
  2. TKDBot

Posted On:
    1/14/2008 8:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido, the best Martial Arts forum on the entire Internet, evetsm1155. Seriously, you won't regret your choice to join us. We're a great bunch of folks, except for Hannibal. And Sirc. And TaiGip. And MMA Kid. And... well, you get the point.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/14/2008 9:49pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    um lol.

is u a masochist?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/14/2008 9:54pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    er. uh. no?
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Posted On:
    1/14/2008 10:47pm

Style: Inept BJJer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cobra Kai, huh? So Sifu was a big fan of The Karate Kid?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/15/2008 7:41am

Style: VT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did he ever run into Trouble with a caertain Mr Miyagi perhaps?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/15/2008 11:50am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: northern shaolin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cobra Kai was the name of the style that was taught to PFC Abbate when he was stationed as a marine in Hawiaii.It was taught to him by Sgt. Walker(1967) who was the only"round eye" admitted to a Kwoon in China.After Sgt. Walker was listed missing in action, PFC Abbate was admitted to Tai Kit Kuen school in Hong Kong where he recieved his 2nd degree.At that point he called himself Sifu.He traveled the full contact circuit, and fought in Long Beach Ca.He won his wieght class, and Bruce Lee invited him for 2 weeks of free classes.It is there that he was noticed by Hollywood ,(only because they where there for Lee) and they took his name for thiers. He had the name Cobra Kai in the late 60s.your just to young to realize this fact.Im not blamming you, just trying to set the record straight.Martail Arts in America have been so watered down it is pitifull.They just want your money, and I believe that you just dont know any better.Like i said, its not your fault.If you feel that you want to send nasty replies to this, then be my guest, but it still wont change the truth, and yes, I maybe a bit of a masochist, but to be truley effective in the Arts you have to be.Apperantly you havent figured that out yet.You need more time in the Arts.

Posted On:
    1/15/2008 12:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's what's missing from my game, getting kicked in the face doing pushups and stabbed in the hand. That'll learn me not to do pushups and situps in the middle of a fight like I used to.

Anyway, if the post is sincere, sorry for your loss and welcome to Bullshido. If not then look out for people who wax cars because they will pwn your azz.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/15/2008 1:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL... Big deal.. When I do situps my sifu stabs me in the stomach with a Nagenata and when I do pushups he smashes my face with a mini refrigarator.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/15/2008 2:01pm

Style: Full Contact Ju Jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This page http://www.energyfitnessinc.com/heal...structors.html references Stephen G Abbate and the Cobra Kai full contact system.

My google waza is very weak and this is the only reference I found.

My commiserations on your loss.
Page 1 of 77 1 23451151 ... LastLast